advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What The Heckin Heck —- Lumber $$$$$
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 08, 2021 07:33AM
I’ve read about it, but decided to look at prices. Holy schmoley !

2x4x8. $8 !

How the heck are so many houses getting built ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What The Heckin Heck —- Lumber $$$$$
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 08, 2021 07:49AM
cbelt3

2x4x8. $8 !

Are there? I figured that’s why the existing home market is currently so bonkers.

Daughter and SIL sold their modest home in Madison WI a few months ago. They had 17 offers, all (well) over asking price.

Edit: PS - it’s my understanding that the pandemic has interrupted or constrained the supply of lumber from Canada.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2021 07:50AM by pdq.
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 08, 2021 08:25AM
Every roofing estimate we got in the past few weeks mentioned the rising cost of plywood if needed (and we do).
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 08, 2021 09:34AM
Surely you all aren't just now finding out about lumber cost? It's been climbing for a year now. It's breaking records on the commodities market almost daily. People are buying personal sawmills are break neck speed. Some small sawmill companies are now one year behind.

Frankly I think it's all BS. I'm in numerous groups on FB involving sawmills, chainsaws and logging and the people that live near the really large sawmills will tell you the mills are sitting full of lumber. Even the large mills around us have more lumber on the yards than I've ever seen. You can blame the big box lumber stores for running this up. They say it's the housing boom but if that were true why hasn't sheets of drywall/sheetrock gone up? The price is the same on it as it was 3 years ago, $9.50/sheet.

7/16" OSB made out garbage trees is $41.70/sheet in our area of NC. Fall of 2019 it was $8.25.

Copper wire 12/2/Romex is $140/roll, it was $56 last Fall.

The bust is coming. A friend of ours is the General Manager of one of the largest Toyota dealerships in the SE. He said they have set sales records for 5 months in a row and he said he's never seen anything like it. He says the bust is coming because banks are once again loaning money to people they shouldn't be. We've been in touch with him frequently because he starting a Hereford cattle herd with heifers from our son's cattle herd.

Grateful11
Date: May 08, 2021 09:36AM
pdq
cbelt3

2x4x8. $8 !

Are there? I figured that’s why the existing home market is currently so bonkers.

Daughter and SIL sold their modest home in Madison WI a few months ago. They had 17 offers, all (well) over asking price.

Edit: PS - it’s my understanding that the pandemic has interrupted or constrained the supply of lumber from Canada.

Part of that problem go back to tariffs on Canadian lumber put in place by he who shall not be named.

Grateful11
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 08, 2021 10:32AM
Grateful11
The bust is coming. A friend of ours is the General Manager of one of the largest Toyota dealerships in the SE. He said they have set sales records for 5 months in a row and he said he's never seen anything like it. He says the bust is coming because banks are once again loaning money to people they shouldn't be. We've been in touch with him frequently because he starting a Hereford cattle herd with heifers from our son's cattle herd.

Other dealerships have limited cars to sell as they haven't been getting inventory. Audi is offering lessee's the option to extend their leases by 6 months as they don't have anything to sell or lease them. US manufacturers have vehicles sitting awaiting computers due to the chip shortage. There have been two major chip fab facilities in Japan that have had serious fires in the last 6 months. One is/was a major supplier to the automotive industry. Japanese business hasn't really embraced fire protection the way the US, Canada and West Europe has.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 08, 2021 10:52AM
....this will be hard......for those who love their.....wood.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 08, 2021 11:19AM
The bust is coming for a multitude of reasons.

On lumber, i was just about ready to dispose of a large pile of cast-offs and partially deteriorated lumber when I thought maybe I'll use that for my firewood rack instead.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 08, 2021 11:35AM
I read earlier this week that increased lumber costs have added an average of $25K to a new home build.

Its gotta bust soon. Im just hoping its not as bad as 2008.

Im with grateful on this one... it stems from someone misunderstanding how tariffs and, well, basic global economics work.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: May 08, 2021 12:22PM
NewtonMP2100
....this will be hard......for those who love their.....wood.......

smiley-laughing001

Grateful11
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 08, 2021 12:33PM
jdc
I read earlier this week that increased lumber costs have added an average of $25K to a new home build.

$36K, according to CNN: [www.cnn.com]

It is what it is.
Date: May 08, 2021 12:33PM
jdc

Its gotta bust soon. Im just hoping its not as bad as 2008.

Im with grateful on this one... it stems from someone misunderstanding how tariffs and, well, basic global economics work.

This isn't even a global issue this time. Some posters from Europe, ie: A guy from Italy posted prices on plywood in Italy and it's half what we're paying in the US. Personally I think there needs to be an investigation into price gouging.

Yeah I hope it's not as bad as 2008 too but take for example friends of my son sold their home in like 3 days with multiple offers, they had a home lined up and it fell through due to the final inspection. They are now living with one of their parents. They have paid off every single bill they had and the bank reevaluated and bumped their qualification up to $370K from $290K. This is a one income family with two kids and I know their income cannot support a $370K home.

Grateful11
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 08, 2021 04:30PM
N-OS X-tasy!
jdc

$36K, according to CNN: [www.cnn.com]

That must be the story I read. Crazy, as I've been looking for a retirement home in MI's U.P. for several years. I finally found one that I was ready to pull the trigger back in March, and a week later I was informed it was under contract, unavailable for sale!

I got the bright idea to just BUY some land and have my dream house built. After coming up with THAT idea, I read the story about lumber being so expensive. facepalm

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 08, 2021 04:42PM
And, the stuff actually grows on trees! angry smiley
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 10, 2021 02:33PM
Oh those qwazy Hunt Brothers!
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 11, 2021 08:17AM
Govt. imposed transportation priorities. Not some qwazy industrial
conspiracy. Use to see long trains loaded with finished lumber goods.
Now it's rail cars loaded with pulpwood for paper production.

You can't produce 2X4's or plywood if your mill can only ship pulpwood.
So, the mill will only accept 'softwoods' from loggers who then won't
harvest any 'hardwoods' used in construction.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 198
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020