advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
praise the lawd?!.....RIP: Lloyd Price [ R&B singer ] at 88......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 08, 2021 03:09PM
.......no cause listed.......with hits like 'Lawdy Miss Clawdy'......Personality' and 'Stagger Lee'......

Lloyd Price, R&B Pioneer Known as ‘Mr. Personality,’ Dies at 88

.....Lloyd Price, the ‘50s R&B vocalist whose early singles were among the first to attract attention from the nascent rock ‘n’ roll audience, died Thursday. He was 88.

Maxwell Entertainment owner Rickey Poppell posted the news on Facebook, saying, “My friend and Lloyd Price’s manager, Tom Trapani, just called to let me know that our friend, Lloyd, passed away last night. Those of us close to Lloyd have been keeping his declining health issues to our selves for the past five years, while Tom kept me up to date along the way. Lloyd was one of the sweetest, caring and kindest man I’ve ever known, I’ll miss him. My prayers go out to his lovely wife, Jackie.”

The New Orleans-born singer burst onto the national scene in 1952 with his first single, the self-penned “Lawdy Miss Clawdy,” for the L.A.-based label Specialty Records. Bearing the distinctive Crescent City “stroll” rhythm – the product of an arrangement featuring pianist Fats Domino and drummer Earl Palmer of Dave Bartholomew’s studio band – it leaped to No. 1 on the national R&B chart.

In an interview with writer Andy Schwartz that prefaced his 1998 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Price noted how his hit broke new ground with listeners who previously hadn’t cocked an ear to black music.

“I revolutionized the South,” he said. “Before ‘Lawdy Miss Clawdy,’ white kids were not really interested in this music. People like Charles Brown and Fats Domino really only sold to the black community. But 10 months after I was in business, they were putting up ropes to divide the white and black spectators. But by 10 o’clock at night, they’d all be together on that dance floor.”

At least one important rock ‘n’ roll performer was paying close attention to what Price was up to: At his second recording session for RCA Records in 1956, Elvis Presley recorded a fierce cover of “Lawdy Miss Clawdy.”

Four more top-five R&B singles succeeded that initial hit, but Price’s career screeched to a halt when he was drafted in 1953. Upon his return from the Army, he discovered that in his absence Specialty had devoted its attentions to a wild piano-pounding singer from Georgia: Little Richard.

Exhibiting the entrepreneurial bent that distinguished his career, Price founded his own label, KRC Records, which swiftly hit pay dirt with his self-authored ballad “Just Because.” Distributed by ABC-Paramount Records, it reached No. 3 on the R&B side in 1957, trouncing Specialty’s cover version by Price’s cousin Larry Williams and ultimately leading to a contract with the major.

The major fruit of that association came in 1958 when “Stagger Lee,” an adaptation of an antique folk song about an obscure 1895 murder during a St. Louis dice game, became an evocative and lyrically graphic crossover smash, reaching No. 1 on both the pop and R&B rolls.

Seven other 45s – including the chart-toppers “Personality” (which inspired Price’s professional nickname “Mr. Personality”) and “I’m Gonna Get Married,” from 1959 – reached the R&B top 10 through 1960. The modern soul sound displaced Price, but he continued to record through the ‘60s on his own Double L and Turntable imprints........

RIP...........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: praise the lawd?!.....RIP: Lloyd Price [ R&B singer ] at 88......
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 08, 2021 04:37PM
That's the first I've heard of him since the 60's. I assumed he had died long ago.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: May 08, 2021 04:52PM
Nice post on FB from Bobby Nathan, audio engineer and Unique Recording Studios owner in NYC:

rip Lloyd Price - March 8, 1933 - May 6, 2021
Lloyd Price was my mentor when I was not much older than Lloyd was when he recorded his first hit record “Lawdy Miss Clawdy “ back in 1952. He hired me as head bartender for his Turntable club on Broadway and 52nd Street. I was the only white employee. Lloyd was the first Afro American licensed nightclub owner in NYC.
Every night the Turntable was full of Black celebrities that included film stars like Sidney Poitier and Richard Roundtree, Broadway stars, Singers like Diana Ross, Smokey Robinson, the Jackson 5, comedians Richard Pryor and Redd Foxx , Musicians and Politicians.
Don King was a partner of Lloyd Price and the two were planning “Thriller in Manila” with Mohammed Ali
who was at the club regularly. The Godfather of Harlem Frank Lucas was also a regular - you would never know he was a gangster as he always dressed like a Wall Street executive. He always ordered a split with a straw (a mini Piper Heidsieck champagne bottle) for himself and his large entourage and always tipped me $5 with a gram of blow inside.
Lloyd was responsible for teaching me how to record live bands on pro gear. While I worked there Lloyd converted and upgraded the sound booth into a recording control room with the purchase of an Ampex 16track 2” recorder and a 16 channel Electrodyne 1608 console which I learned to use before the club opened each night. Lloyd would have me mic up and record the bands during sound check. Lloyd made every band that played there learn how to play his hit songs just in case Lloyd wanted to jump up on stage later that night - Personality, Lawdy Miss Clawdy and Stagger Lee.
Lloyd hired Limbo Champ Mike Quashee as the Maitre D. Mike had stories about Jimi Hendrix who was his roommate.
I worked for Lloyd at the Turntable until there was a shooting in the Men’s room one night over a drug deal.
Then I decided it was time to leave, but I will never forget the non-stop rollercoaster ride of knowing and working for Mr. Personality.
I thank you Lloyd Price.
You are a part of me.
Your infectious smile and personality have been my life lessons.
Your influence has done me well.
I will never forget you.
Rest in Power.

JoeM
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 08, 2021 07:25PM
thanks for posting that from Bobby Nathan.
That means that Unique evolved from Cosimo Matassa's J&M Recording Studios in the Crescent City.

RIP Mr Price.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 161
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020