advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Let's talk mattresses
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 08, 2021 05:01PM
I'm leaning heavily to a Novaform from Costco. The price is right but there's no demo to try out (other than a 2'x2' section).

I stopped in a Denver Mattress store and they told me they have virtually nothing in stock, although I did get a chance to try out a bunch of their demo mattresses like Purple, Doctor's Choice, Sealy, Stearns & Foster, etc. I think the $3800 Tempur-Pedic felt the best but there's no way I'm spending anywhere close to that much.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Let's talk mattresses
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 08, 2021 06:12PM
We went through a lot of the choices about two years a go and found we really liked this:

[www.macys.com]

This same mattress is also sold by Cariloha, which sells a lot of bamboo sheets etc.

We bought one for our master bedroom and 6 months later bought a second for the guest bedroom. At closeout pricing it's a good value. The problem is being able to test them out. We hated the Purple. I liked the Nectar.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 08, 2021 06:18PM
Do you want firm or soft?

Date: May 08, 2021 06:26PM
mattkime
Do you want firm or soft?

I thought firm... until you asked. Then, I realized I don't know why I thought firm. Um, medium??? RollingEyesSmiley5

Markintosh
We went through a lot of the choices about two years a go and found we really liked this:

[www.macys.com]

This same mattress is also sold by Cariloha, which sells a lot of bamboo sheets etc.

We bought one for our master bedroom and 6 months later bought a second for the guest bedroom. At closeout pricing it's a good value. The problem is being able to test them out. We hated the Purple. I liked the Nectar.

Thanks. Unfortunately, "This item is not available for delivery in your area."

Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 08, 2021 06:47PM
I believe some mail order companies give you a generous trial period to see how you like their mattress with full refund if you don’t like it. And no, you don’t have to ship it back; they arrange to have it donated to a local charity. That being said, we bought a medium firm mattress that was still too firm for our tastes. Solved problem by adding a softer gel foam topper.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 08, 2021 08:25PM
we have a 6.5yo Tuft & Needle. I'd call it medium firm.
It was $600 then.
They offered 90 or 120 days and no ship if you didn't like it.
Been happy with it.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: August West
Date: May 08, 2021 10:01PM
I found the edge integrity of the Novaform breaking down sooner than i expected.

Posted by: jdc
Date: May 09, 2021 12:39AM
we just bought a couple of wayfair house brands -- hundreds of great reviews... and they are really nice.

We got plush.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 09, 2021 01:08AM
Wasn't there a site where you could "roll" your own mattress out of foam?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 09, 2021 08:42AM
We love our two Casper mattresses.

If you want something better and more expensive, some of the adjustable mattresses are great. Sleep Number etc. we have one, really does work well. Wish it had differential heating like some newer models.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 09, 2021 10:07AM
FWIW, Consumer’s Reports ranked Avocado (or “Avocado Green” ) number 1.

I don’t know anything about them (I think maybe they’re mail order?) and not that Consumer Reports is always right, but I was surprised how well it ranked compared to a relatively low price.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 09, 2021 10:32AM
All,

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Only you (and your partner) can determine which is the right mattress for you. Case in point. I know many people here love memory foam or latex models. They don't work for my wife and I. We prefer a plush firm innerspring. We might - might - consider a hybrid at some point as plain ol' plush firm innerspring mattresses are becoming more and more difficult to obtain these days.

Don't forget to factor in a foundation. Replace the mattress and use an existing foundation (be it from the same brand or a different brand) and you could void the warranty of the new mattress. Or, you can do what we did and ditch a bed frame that requires a foundation and replace it with a platform bed. That way, you don't need a foundation. Search the forum for my posts about platform beds.

If you're searching for a mattress, the best place to start is here:

[www.sleeplikethedead.com]

Normally, I'd say you have to check mattresses out in person. Sit on it. Bounce on it. Lay on it. Read a book or watch a video on a phone or ipad on it. Sit on the edge and pretend to put on a pair of socks. Bring or rent a kid and have him/her roll around and bounce on it. Generally, abuse the hell out of it.

Not sure if that's viable in this day and age of the pandemic.

Robert
Date: May 09, 2021 10:58AM
I'm super happy with my mattress, not that its anything special but I like a firm mattress and this fits the bill. I looked up what I bought but the receipt doesn't say what model it is - which figures. I spent $550 on it 8 years ago which seems like a pretty damn good deal right now. I bought it at [www.charlesprogers.com] when I was in nyc.

I really don't know how you buy a mattress without touching it.

We have a brooklyn bedding mattress in our guest room. Its fine but I wouldn't want it as my full time mattress. Which isn't anything against the brand, it just doesn't work for me. Too soft.

Ikea has some good high end models.

Generally speaking, when it comes to mattresses you get what you pay for up to $1,500 or so. I'm not saying that I can tell the difference between a $700 and a $1,500 - mattress mfg and pricing is way too crazy but you're well in to diminishing returns in the upper price range.

There was a podcast that went pretty deep on how much you should spend on a mattress but much to my annoyance I can't find it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2021 12:00PM by mattkime.
Date: May 09, 2021 11:02AM
also -

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 09, 2021 11:29AM
mattkime
also -

FTFY

Once the wave started, it was perpetual motion... greatest invention of the seventies.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: May 09, 2021 06:16PM
Thanks, folks.

I decided to get the Novaform from Costco because today (Sunday) was the last day of a $100 off sale. For $400+tax I figured I couldn't go too wrong. Plus, it was in stock and in a small enough box that I was able to take it home on the spot.

And really, any new mattress will be much better than what I am sleeping on now, so getting the perfect mattress wasn't a big concern, especially for the price.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 10, 2021 12:37AM
the great thing about Costco is if you find the mattress doesn’t suit you it is completely returnable.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 10, 2021 02:06PM
graylocks
the great thing about Costco is if you find the mattress doesn’t suit you it is completely returnable.

Yep.

But those mattresses-in-a-box are compressed and vacuum packed so they fit in a smaller box and fit in the back seat of a car (the Novaform even has a pair of little wheels built into the box). When you unseal the plastic wrapping they expand quite a bit. It's like a proverbial can of worms so I'm not sure how a return would work. grinning smiley

Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 10, 2021 02:23PM
AllGold
But those mattresses-in-a-box are compressed and vacuum packed so they fit in a smaller box and fit in the back seat of a car (the Novaform even has a pair of little wheels built into the box). When you unseal the plastic wrapping they expand quite a bit. It's like a proverbial can of worms so I'm not sure how a return would work. grinning smiley

i have heard that when you buy in store you do have to bring back the mattress yourself but if you purchase Costco online they send a company to get it.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 10, 2021 04:19PM
last mattress was a buetryrest silver, 16.5" hybrid, plush. Nice. about $900.

Only had it for 18 months... but the cat peed on it. We *cannot* get the smell out. Cat has some sort of condition with super smelly and pungent peep/poo. Tried everything, shes even on prescription food.

Had a squaretrade warranty, first call they sent out some crap 2 star cleaner. No luck. second submission to squaretrade was denied cause it was "odor" and not a "stain". They let us know we can gladly request our warranty to be refunded. all $45 of it. angry villagers smiley

Just ordered a wink bed. Everyone else was 3-5 weeks out for delivery. Should have it next week. $1500.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Cary
Date: May 10, 2021 09:09PM
We bought Bob's mattresses. At the time, highly rated by Consumer Reports.

Have been very happy with them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 165
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020