advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Another YMMV: Comcast Xfinity 400 mbps internet for $30 a month [EDIT: it worked for at least one]
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 09, 2021 10:30AM
Comcast Xfinity 400 mbps internet for $30 a month (1 year agreement with automatic payments and paperless billing) for existing users YMMV

[slickdeals.net]

of course not available for me, even though I have FiOS competition here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2021 06:08AM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Another YMMV: Comcast Xfinity 400 mbps internet for $30 a month
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 09, 2021 10:37AM
Not here, either. But I can get a bundle with slower speed and phone service for only $12 more than I'm paying now.

...Just occurred to me that this would require me replacing my modem for one of theirs. So add a $14/month "gateway" fee.

$26 more each month to drop my speed to 25Mbps and add phone service.

...Clicking thru, I also see a bundle with ten whole channels of TV for $14 less than I'm paying just for Internet, but with "Equipment, installation, taxes and fees, Broadcast TV Fee (up to $19.45/mo.), Regional Sports Fee (up to $14.45/mo.) and other applicable charges extra."

I think I'll stick with what I've got. (Which includes about 40 channels of OTA broadcast TV at the moment.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2021 10:51AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 09, 2021 11:17AM
Just to (again!) show how good all the rest of the world has it, my current plan is "$71.95/mo" for internet + phone (no TV), but which is billed at $95.03 after modem rental, etc, etc. And the d/l speed, while advertised as "75 mbs" actually maxes out at less than half that.

So, I'm always on the lookout for a better deal. Unfortunately, following the instructions in the linked SD mention shows that I have no (as in zero) internet-only offers at my location. The two internet + telephone offers that they list appear to be worse than my current deal (monthly data limits, more expensive).

I tried T-Mobile's home internet service (twice! with two different receivers/modems) unsuccessfully - wouldn't even load a site my wife needs for her business. So my other option is CenturyLink (remember them?) which may be slightly cheaper, but which we found janky and slooooow (around 5-7 mbs).

I'm in a not-very-distant suburb 10 miles from downtown St. Paul, and this is the best I can do. They've got us in a real stranglehold here.

cry smiley
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 09, 2021 01:03PM
The Comcrap & FIOS 'deals' posted on SD are usually based on specific market areas.

Here in the Mid-Atlantic, Comcrap is promoting 200Mbps Internet for
$40 per month with a Two Year contract. I'm currently paying $50 for 400Mbps.
EDIT: They're now offering 200Mbps for $35/mo with a One Year contract,

Verizon FIOS in many locales is not regulated as they, being a "Public Utility"
regulated by the state, aren't subject to "cable franchise" rules. So Vzn is
free to redline any neighborhood they choose not to service (poor & inner city).
Some of those neighborhoods are even lucky if they can get reliable POTS
phone service from Vzn.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2021 07:08PM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 09, 2021 01:45PM
MrNoBody
Verizon FIOS in many locales is not regulated as they, being a "Public Utility"
regulated by the state, aren't subject to "cable franchise" rules. So Vzn is
free to redline any neighborhood they choose not to service (poor & inner city).
Some of those neighborhoods are even lucky if they can get reliable POTS
phone service from Vzn.

That's true of some wealthy enclaves as well.

Verizon ran FiOS to some multimillion dollar homes in the hills nearby, but stopped before running those lines to all of them. Since they had FiOS in the region, they declared that the entire municipality had FiOS (which is apparently a thing they can do) and stopped servicing the copper phone lines. When people complained, they offered to set home owners up with phone lines that had cellular uplinks. Most folks took them up on it. Now, they lose phone service every time that it rains or whenever the wind picks up. And most still don't have high speed Internet. For those who did get FiOS, since the fiber was run on poles and not buried, it goes out whenever a tree limb comes down, which is frequently. You'd think that they could use cell phones and hotspots to make up the difference, but cellular service is spotty at-best because it's all private land around there and very hilly so there are not a lot of cell towers, and the cell towers that they have don't provide good coverage.

Several of my clients live in the area and it's weird seeing how these people who are high-powered executives and wouldn't accept this sort of thing for a second in the workplace are so accepting of sub-par service in their homes.

Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: May 09, 2021 10:49PM
Thanks for posting this!

I kept the same 600 Mbps speed but for committing to a 1 year term, I'm saving $30/month. Now $60 instead of $90 previously.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 10, 2021 06:07AM
wow, glad it worked!!!
Re: Another YMMV: Comcast Xfinity 400 mbps internet for $30 a month [EDIT: it worked for at least one]
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 10, 2021 11:49AM
thank the stars our new development has ATT Fios.

We had comcast for a month... and we just couldn't do it anymore. 200/5 ... and I needed more upload. wifi was crap with their box. needed wireless boxes for TV... but of course their wireless sucked... so the signal didn't make it upstairs. They suggested a $100 wifi booster package.

Called ATT, FIOS is $39 for 300/300 (tests 400/300) Got a nice wireless router in my panel in the middle of the house. great signal everywhere. Singed up for ATTv = no boxes, just an app on the TV. Easy peasy. $102 total. smiley-music039

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: Another YMMV: Comcast Xfinity 400 mbps internet for $30 a month [EDIT: it worked for at least one]
Posted by: Randalls
Date: May 10, 2021 02:54PM
I had just cut Comcast cable and went from over $200 on Triple pay bundle to $60 for 50 MB’s internet no contract. Called to discuss my billing today and got to speak to a human and they upped it to 400 MB’s for $4 more plus a one year contract. She said send in the box and remote and they will send a “Flex” WiFi box which is no charge and it will allow streaming 1k’s of movies via Comcast which I can also use for streaming my other accounts (Netflix, Amazon, etc. What’s the catch?
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 10, 2021 03:26PM
the catch is they tease you with wild download numbers -- that are totally unnecessary.

So you think you are getting a deal with "400" when you prob don't use 350 of it.

my neighbor was claiming his comcast speeds are 1200 MB/s. Hes got a 5 year dell laptop and his kids budget gaming rig + a few phones. o. v. e. r. k. i. l. l.

ATT tried to offer me faster than 300/300 "for just $20 more" and I said pass. my ATT is also unlimited data, vs comcast 1200 MB, which we nearly exceeded each month

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: May 10, 2021 07:14PM
Thanks, I also see with the Flex streaming box they are trying to “wall off” the need for other streaming boxes by gifting you their own streaming equipment but not allowing you to download apps to enhance it’s use. First Flex is free, next is $5.00 with up to 3 allowed per household. You do get a free Peacock Premium account and movies on demand and the mainstay pay for apps for streaming such as Netflix and Hulu but no live channels or cloud DVR but it is “Free”
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 11, 2021 07:56AM
You do get a free Peacock Premium account...
Only reason I took the FLEX box, for my LR as Peacock app is available
on LG TVs but you have to pay monthly for 'Premium' using only the app.
So LR LG is Peacock Premium via FLEX and BR is standard using the LG app.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020