advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
that's a horse of another color?!....Kentucky Derby winner 'Medina Spirit' fails drug test --> faces disqualification....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 09, 2021 12:09PM
.....if 2nd drug test is positive.....will be disqualified....

Kentucky Derby Winner Medina Spirit Fails Drug Test

The Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, whose horses have failed five tests in a little more than a year, was suspended, but he denied wrongdoing.

....The Kentucky Derby winner, Medina Spirit, failed a postrace drug test, once more putting the practices of his Hall of Fame trainer, Bob Baffert, the embattled sport’s most recognizable personality, under uncomfortable scrutiny.

If disqualified, Medina Spirit would be stripped of the Derby title and the winning purse, becoming only the third horse in the 147-year history of the race to receive the penalty after finishing first. The colt cannot be disqualified until testing of a sample collected at the same time as the first sample confirms the result. Baffert will then have an opportunity to appeal. The positive test comes as horse racing, acknowledging it has a drug problem, prepares to implement the Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act, which was passed last year in Congress as part of coronavirus pandemic relief. It takes effect July 1, 2022, and calls for a board overseen by the Federal Trade Commission to write rules and penalties to be enforced by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

The agency, which regulates Olympic athletes in the United States, revealed Lance Armstrong’s cheating and issued him a lifetime suspension in 2012.

In a statement, Churchill Downs officials said that if Medina Spirit’s positive test were confirmed, the Derby’s runner-up, Mandaloun, would be declared the winner.

“Given the seriousness of the alleged offense, Churchill Downs will immediately suspend Bob Baffert, the trainer of Medina Spirit, from entering any horses at Churchill Downs Racetrack,” the statement said.

In a news conference Sunday morning outside his barn at Churchill Downs, Baffert said neither he nor anyone on his team administered the drug betamethasone to Medina Spirit. He insisted the colt had not been treated with the drug, a corticosteroid injected into joints to reduce pain and swelling.

“I was totally shocked when I heard this news,” Baffert said. “I’m still trying to absorb it. I am the most scrutinized trainer. And I am OK with that. The last thing I want to do is something that would jeopardize the greatest sport.”

He added: “I’m worried about the sport. This is a pretty serious accusation. We’re going to get to the bottom of it. We didn’t do it.”......

positive.......attitude.................?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2021 12:14PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: that's a horse of another color?!....Kentucky Derby winner 'Medina Spirit' fails drug test --> faces disqualification....
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 09, 2021 12:19PM
Wonder how that affects the bets that were placed and paid out.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: that's a horse of another color?!....Kentucky Derby winner 'Medina Spirit' fails drug test --> faces disqualification....
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 09, 2021 12:39PM
rgG

I was just wondering the same thing.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 09, 2021 01:08PM
We didn’t do it.
Where have we heard that before?

trainer Bob Baffert, whose horses have failed five tests in a little more than a year

So your horses have personal drug dealers they call?

RollingEyesSmiley5

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 09, 2021 02:34PM
rgG

no effect.

This has happened in other races (and the Derby) before. The committee will rule that everything will reflect the new winner EXCEPT para mutual. Perfectly legal.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 09, 2021 02:48PM
Ombligo
rgG

no effect.

This has happened in other races (and the Derby) before. The committee will rule that everything will reflect the new winner EXCEPT para mutual. Perfectly legal.

Seems like that's been the case historically.

[www.usatoday.com]

The last time a Kentucky Derby winner was disqualified for a positive drug test (Dancer’s Image, 1968), the Kentucky Horse Racing commission ordered Forward Pass, the horse that crossed the finish line second in the race, be considered the winner of the 1968 Kentucky Derby, except for pari-mutuel payoffs.

When Bob Baffert-trained filly Gamine was disqualified from her third-place finish in the 2020 Kentucky Oaks, pari-mutuel wagering was not affected by the ruling.

...once a race is official, the betting results are final, regardless of mistakes by the track or an appeal.

Posted by: jonny
Date: May 09, 2021 03:05PM
In lamen's terms, If I bet on #2 horse, and #1 is disqualified, I don't get additional money?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 09, 2021 03:45PM
jonny
In lamen's terms, If I bet on #2 horse, and #1 is disqualified, I don't get additional money?

Nope, you are SOL.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 09, 2021 04:40PM
C(-)ris
jonny

Nope, you are SOL.

Thems is fightin' words!
But I guess that reduces the incentive to slip some pony a Mickey.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2021 05:09PM by jonny.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 09, 2021 05:24PM
If the horse is DQ'ed before official results are posted, the payoffs change to reflect the new winner. In this case, the results had been posted and paid off, so there will be no further adjustment.

Of course, today's society is much more litigious than it was in 1968. I could see someone who lost big suing the DQ'ed owners for the money he lost and legal fees.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Date: May 09, 2021 07:16PM
Of course, today's society is much more litigious than it was in 1968.
I could see someone who lost big suing the DQ'ed owners for the money he lost and legal fees.

I see lawyers' ads on TV in 3,2,1......
judge smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo

Posted by: bfd
Date: May 09, 2021 10:19PM
Baffert is the #1 problem here in California. Needs to be put in prison for a long time for what he's allowed his ilk to do to horses. Doping animals should be 100% illegal. Pushing horses to the brink of death for the sake of a payday or someone's winning ticket needs to be done away with for good. Start with Baffert.

There's no sport in horse racing, just a lot of state sanctioned animal abuse.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: May 10, 2021 07:31AM
Another victim of the FUNKY COLD MEDINA
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 10, 2021 10:10AM
jonny

It just means #2's trainer was better at beating the tests.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2021 10:12AM
.....I got the horse right here
The name is Paul Revere
And here's a guy that says if the weather's clear
Can do, Can do
This guys says the horse can do
If he says the horse can do, Can do......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 10, 2021 11:00AM
What about those that bet on the horse that took 4th? They got nothing and should have gotten 3rd. It's time to end horse racing altogether.
Date: May 10, 2021 01:35PM
bfd -
There's no sport in horse racing, just a lot of state sanctioned animal abuse.

amen
I've been saying similar for decades.
Any animal racing is not a sport.
It's a hobby for the wealthy and just another outlet for gambling addicts.

Sadly horses lack the mental ability to know when to stop running.
They don't even make the 'Top 15' list of intelligent animals which ranks
elephants, crows, and rats among the top ten!

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020