advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Swappa question
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 09, 2021 07:43PM
First of all, Happy Mother's Day everyone.

I decided to sell my excellent condition iPhone SE (2016) on Swappa. I didn't have to sell it, and was in no hurry to sell it, so I listed it for $110 to account for any fees I might incur. Well, a week later it sold, I received payment and shipped out the phone. Everything's great. Then I get an email from the buyer asking if it is really a iPhone SE and that it looks more like a 5, blah blah blah. I replied explaining as best I could that it is in fact an SE and was clearly stated as such in the listing and was also listed in the appropriate category on Swappa. And of course the pictures in the listing are of the SE. Swappa says not to communicate with buyer directly, but to use the Communication form on Swappa. That was two days ago.

This evening I get an email from Swappa relaying communication from buyer explaining that he made a mistake and thought it was the newer 2020 SE that he was buying and would I let him return it for a refund.

Well, if this were done any other way but through a well-known system like Swappa's where everything is very clearly stated and categorized and the Swappa staff has to go through and approve every listing, I might be inclined to consider a refund. But come on. It's not like I deceived the buyer. It's not my fault that he didn't pay attention. I mean 2nd Gen SEs are selling for $200+ in fair condition.

I'm quite certain I'm under zero obligation to refund the money, so I guess I'm asking what you all would be inclined to do in a case like this.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Swappa question
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 09, 2021 07:54PM
I can't believe Swappa stepped in for the buyer.
That might make me reconsider them.
I would write Swappa and ask them to reconsider even the suggestion.

The thing I have liked about Swappa (in the past) is the clarity of display and rules.
Mistake my butt. A 2020 for $110!
Idiocy.
The whole thing smells of a Ghanaian Prince Swappa your phone for a broken one and/or stealing an IMEI.
BS!

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 09, 2021 08:00PM
I can't believe Swappa stepped in for the buyer.

where do you see that? I understand that Swappa relayed an email, it is probably an automated email forwarding like on eBay or Amazon.
Date: May 09, 2021 08:06PM
-edit-
I see space-time beat me to it while i was writing this.

-------

As someone who prides himself on his clear writing, I see that I may been quite unclear.

When I stated This evening I get an email from Swappa relaying communication from buyer explaining that he made a mistake and thought it was the newer 2020 SE that he was buying and would I let him return it for a refund., all I meant by that was that I received an automated email from Swappa indicating that I had received a Communication from the buyer on Swappa's Communication page.

The email included the content of the message. The box displayed the message from the buyer himself. It was not Swappa relaying a message with their insight. The Communication section of the listing page is merely a place for buyer and seller to communicate and that Swappa can monitor. That is why they told me to stop communicating with the buyer directly and to use the listing's Communication system.

In fact, I'm confident that Swappa would back me in this situation, since I followed all the rules. Sorry if my original post didn't make that clear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2021 08:08PM by wurm.
Date: May 09, 2021 08:07PM
No worries, your post was very clear.
Date: May 09, 2021 08:15PM
OK, so I'm wrong.
When was the last time that happened?
giggle giggle giggle giggle

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: May 09, 2021 08:33PM
No worries. No one got hurt.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 09, 2021 08:40PM
I would immediately move any money you might have in Paypal out of it - empty that account. If you have a credit card associated with the account - disassociate it.

Then tell the buyer, sorry the sale is final.

At the very least - charge a 25 percent restock fee ($27.50). That covers the Swappa fee ($10), mailing costs ($8), and a small part of your trouble ($9.50)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 09, 2021 08:52PM
I'm a stickler for rules. And these are the rules:

What are the return policies and procedures for listings purchased on Swappa?

On Swappa, sellers are allowed to define their own return policies. Thus, if a seller does not specifically advertise that they accept returns in their listing description, they are not required to accept a return for a refund in buyer's remorse situations.

However, all seller return policies are based on the assumption that the product is received as advertised and in accordance with Swappa policies. No seller may deny a return when a device is received not as advertised, and you can find more information how to report a problem with a purchase here.

[swappa.com]

Since he has communicated with you through Swappa's system, they should be able to see that he admitted to buying it by mistake if any conflict erupts. I would tell him that you do not wish to accept the return and suggest that he sell it on Swappa.
Date: May 09, 2021 09:06PM
Thanks for the comments. As I said, I'm pretty certain I'm within my rights (and Swappa's policies) by not accepting a return. I guess part of me was thinking along the lines of "We all make mistakes." But realistically, that's kind of a lame excuse in this case.

I'm leaning toward hal's suggestion of "I would tell him that you do not wish to accept the return and suggest that he sell it on Swappa."

Frankly, there is a part of me that thinks if I were to accept a return for refund, I might not receive back the phone I sent. That in and of itself is enough to have me refusing a return.

Thanks for you thoughts.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 09, 2021 09:45PM
The smart phone is an appliance now, so not everyone is as aware of the differences as us fanboys and fangirls here are. OTOH, Swappa's interface clearly defines the models, and listings are moderated to boot.

If I were running a business (which many people do via swappa) I'd entertain a return, but for a one-off sale? Caveat emptor, baby.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 09, 2021 10:06PM
Acer
The smart phone is an appliance now, so not everyone is as aware of the differences as us fanboys and fangirls here are. OTOH, Swappa's interface clearly defines the models, and listings are moderated to boot.

If I were running a business (which many people do via swappa) I'd entertain a return, but for a one-off sale? Caveat emptor, baby.

exactly - and I agree that this is a likely an innocent mistake. But there is no reason why you should have to take on extra risk because of the buyers mistake.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 09, 2021 11:30PM
Send them the return fee cost of $27,49, and suggest they just resell it if that is more than they want to pay.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 10, 2021 02:01AM
“ it looks more like a 5 “

Calling BS on that, a SE says “SE” on the back.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 10, 2021 11:27AM
I can see how the error could happen. It would have been better if Swappa had labelled the phone "iPhone SE 1st generation" or "iPhone SE 2016."

Personally, I'd accept the phone back, as long as the buyer paid for shipping both ways. I'd not judge anyone who refused to accept it back, though; that's a perfectly justifiable thing to do.

wurm
Then I get an email from the buyer asking if it is really a iPhone SE and that it looks more like a 5...

Of course it does; it's a 2016 SE. They look like 5's. That's why I bought mine; I could use the same case. If he is unsatisfied with identifying the phone by looking at its label, he can go to Settings>General>About, and look at "Model Name."
Date: May 10, 2021 11:43AM
Well, after some thought, here's how I replied on the Swappa website.
-------
Hello. The phone you bought and the phone I shipped is an iPhone SE 2016. It was very clearly listed in the proper category on Swappa. They are very thorough is accepting listings. Swappa wouldn't have approved the listing if it were listed incorrectly. The model number matches. A new SE 2020 would have been several hundred dollars, so I'm not sure how there could be any confusion.

If you do not want to keep and use the phone, I suggest you relist it for sale on Swappa. I am not comfortable offering a refund due to buyer's remorse.

--------

We'll see what happens next.
Date: May 10, 2021 11:53AM
excellent response.

!#$@@$#!

Date: May 10, 2021 12:25PM
Thanks. ;)
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 10, 2021 01:26PM
....waiting for......wife....swappa......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 10, 2021 03:00PM
Good response.
I would be afraid to accept it back, for any number of reasons.
They can re-list it just as easily as you can.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020