advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FCC's $50 monthly internet discount for C19 severely economically impacted households. Here's who's eligible
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 12, 2021 07:47AM
[www.cnet.com]

The ongoing pandemic has made the importance of a dependable broadband connection at home abundantly clear, but connections like that aren't always easy for Americans to afford. Now, the Federal Communications Commission wants to help with a new subsidy program called the Emergency Broadband Benefit. Those who qualify can sign up starting May 12 -- that's today -- to receive $50 off their monthly internet bill, among other benefits.

Sound good to you? Here's how to tell if you qualify, how you can enroll, and everything else you should know.

Step 1: Determine your eligibility

The Emergency Broadband Benefit isn't open to everyone. Eligibility is limited, so you'll need someone in your household who qualifies in order to opt in.

There are several ways to qualify. The first is income-based. Any household with an income less than or equal to 135% of federal poverty guidelines qualifies.

If you make more than that, you may still be eligible. Anyone who experienced a "substantial loss of income" after Feb. 29, 2020 qualifies so long as their 2020 income was at or below $99,000 for a single filer or $198,000 for joint filers.

Additionally, your home qualifies if anyone in your household:

Qualifies for Lifeline benefits through participation in SNAP, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income, Federal Public Housing Assistance or Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit.
Received a federal Pell Grant in the current award year.
Received approval for benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program in the 2019-20 or 2020-21 school year.
Meets the eligibility criteria for an FCC-approved provider's existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
Eligibility also extends to any household participating in one of a number of tribal-specific assistance programs, including Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribal Head Start and Tribal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. If your home is on qualifying tribal lands, the benefit goes up to $75 per month instead of $50.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FCC's $50 monthly internet discount for C19 severely economically impacted households. Here's who's eligible
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 12, 2021 09:53AM
OK, so strangely, I think I qualify.

I live in a high-poverty area. The ENTIRE student body of the school district was granted $685 in state food benifits via a debit card. So my 11 year old son has $685 to spend, but he can't go into a grocery store yet to use it because he still can't get vaccinated.

Our combined income falls into the range stated, yet I was unemployed for almost 2 months in 2020. I kind of feel guilty, but

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Re: FCC's $50 monthly internet discount for C19 severely economically impacted households. Here's who's eligible
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 12, 2021 10:03AM
Online site is being hugged to death right now. My household is covered as three of the occupants are on Medicaid (adult offspring whose earnings are below the Ohio value).
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: May 12, 2021 10:06AM
Also applies to wireless service
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 12, 2021 12:52PM
...and in case you're curious...
U.S. Health & Human Services 2021 Federal Poverty Guidelines
[aspe.hhs.gov]

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 12, 2021 01:44PM
Seems you need to upload your 2020 taxes:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 12, 2021 03:03PM
I never thought I'd see the day when we subsidized the cable monopolies.
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 12, 2021 03:06PM
I think I qualify and applied. Said there was a problem when I submitted on the last page and to try again later.

Northern California Coast
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 194
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020