advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
panic at the disco?!....it has begun panic buying of gas due to pipeline hack.....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 12, 2021 08:21AM
.....in North Carolina.......the large gas pipeline on East Coast was hacked.....news said in North Carolina, people are panic buying and there are gas stations just running out and long lines to buy gas......like toilet paper all over again......

......there is no 'shortage'......Colonial pipeline says it may be fixed in a few days.....

North Carolina: About 25% of all gas station are without fuel Wednesday morning

....Nearly a quarter of all gas stations in North Carolina are without gasoline Wednesday morning as drivers continue to line up at the pump to refill.

That's according to GasBuddy as of 7 a.m. Wednesday, a website and mobile app that helps people find the cheapest gas near them.

North Carolina has the highest percentage of gasoline outages on the East Coast. Georgia and South Carolina follow, at 15 and 13 percent, respectively.

According to GasBuddy at 8 a.m. Wednesday, 71% percent of gas stations in the Charlotte area are out of fuel. 72% percent of all Raleigh-area gas stations are reportedly out of fuel.

A full list of which gas stations are reporting shortages can be found by visiting the GasBuddy website and searching specific cities and zip codes.

The national average price of gasoline also reached $3 per gallon for the first time October 30, 2014, on Wednesday.

Because there is a shortage, gas stations are limiting purchases as delivery drivers work to get gas to the stations. Stations that are out of fuel may show a price of $8.88 to signal to drivers that they are out of fuel, GasBuddy's Patrick De Haan says.

Gov. Roy Cooper issued a state of emergency in North Carolina on Tuesday, temporarily suspending motor vehicle fuel regulations to ensure adequate fuel supply supplies throughout the state.

On May 7, 2021, the Colonial Pipeline system reported a ransomware cyberattack, resulting in a temporary shutdown of that line. In a release Monday night, Colonial Pipeline said operations have resumed in the pipeline that runs through the Piedmont Triad.

Colonial Pipeline says Line 4, which runs from Greensboro, N.C., to Woodbine, Md., is operating under manual control for a limited period of time while existing inventory is available.

The Colonial Pipeline is a primary fuel pipeline for North Carolina.

The state's price gouging law is also in effect, aiming to prevent price gouging so consumers can make informed buying decisions when resupplying in an emergency.

gas........hoarding.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 08:28AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: panic at the disco?!....it has begun panic buying of gas due to pipeline hack.....
Posted by: p8712
Date: May 12, 2021 08:27AM
I truly did pick the right time by an electric car. I’m loving it.
Re: panic at the disco?!....it has begun panic buying of gas due to pipeline hack.....
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 12, 2021 08:32AM
Idiots causing their own problems. Just like the TP situation. At least most people can't hoard more gas than what fits in all their cars.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 12, 2021 08:36AM
p8712

hopefully you’re loving the result of the panic buying. The hack of the pipeline is a worrying sign of infrastructure vulnerability.

i’m about to go out in my Volt to fill a 5 gallon can. a friend is supposed to come in from nashville this weekend. we have our first live club gig in over a year scheduled. The gas is in case she needs it to get home. i’ve seen pics of people filling steel drums at some stations. good grief - the new toilet paper!

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 09:11AM by graylocks.
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 12, 2021 08:40AM
Florida governor DeSantis has declared a state emergency.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 12, 2021 08:47AM
I wish people weren't so stupid.

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 12, 2021 08:48AM
graylocks
The hack of the pipeline is a worrying sign of infrastructure vulnerability.

This is the worst part. Why do these places need to be hacked in order to harden their defenses.

Posted by: d4
Date: May 12, 2021 09:12AM
So one is stupid and an idiot for topping off their gas tank?

Posted by: rgG
Date: May 12, 2021 09:14AM
I blame a lot of this on media overhyping of yet one more thing.
They have to overdramatize any event and they cause a lot of the panic that later ensues.
Just report the facts and don’t turn the 6 pm news into a soap opera every single night.
This is why we try to watch the BBC on PBS for world news. They are generally a lot less dramatic and just report the facts.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 12, 2021 09:29AM
bazookaman
I wish people weren't so stupid.

Every day, man... every day.

It is what it is.
Date: May 12, 2021 09:31AM
bazookaman
graylocks

This is the worst part. Why do these places need to be hacked in order to harden their defenses.

Because it cost a significant amount of money to do so and the “we’ve been OK so far” mentality is a very powerful non-motivator.

It is what it is.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 12, 2021 09:32AM

Exactly.

Like businesses including hospitals being attacked with ransomeware, one would think that would be a red flare for other businesses to audit and step up network security.

It's forum decorum, Jake, where one is allowed to paint everyone with a wide Guilty brush, whether they are or not, because it's all about making a point.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 12, 2021 09:41AM
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 12, 2021 09:43AM
C(-)ris
Idiots causing their own problems. Just like the TP situation. At least most people can't hoard more gas than what fits in all their cars.

Actually, I just went to the gas station last night and got 20 gallons ... filled up the tank in my Prius, plus three gas cans full... in my experience pre-corona, that amount of gas will last me about 3-4 months. (And that's pre-corona, obviously with things the way they are now, it might last me more like at least 5-6 months...)

I wouldn't call it panic buying, so much as taking advantage of the inevitable rise in prices that is to come ... even before the pipeline hack, I'd been watching GasBuddy and similar websites, and also the long-term predictions, and seen that the prices were likely to rise to at least $3/gallon by the summer. Overnight, most of the gas stations here rose by at least +20 cents/gallon. And with my grocery rewards card discount, the 20 gallons only cost me a total of about $28.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 09:44AM by PeterB.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 12, 2021 10:28AM
N-OS X-tasy!
bazookaman
graylocks

Because it cost a significant amount of money to do so and the “we’ve been OK so far” mentality is a very powerful non-motivator.

Many of these places are getting hacked because they connected them to the public networks for convenience, and it really would not cost all that much to keep them on a private network with no direct connection.
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 12, 2021 10:47AM
Yes, yes blame the shortage on “panic” buying and not on Colonial Pipeline.

People are topping off their tanks because they have to work! Shaming people for filling up gas containers is crass. It’s a drop in the literal bucket. Plus the gas may be for work related reasons, ie landscaping, farms, repair vehicles, etc.

After a search and two training days my suburban was down to 1/4 tank. So Monday morning I headed to BJs (similar to Costco) to fill up. There were no lines anywhere yet BJs was already out of regular. Supply was low before the so-called panic buying.

Stop playing judgy hall monitor and place the blame where it belongs. On Colonial Pipeline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 10:48AM by Pam.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 12, 2021 11:06AM
I hope the hoarders store that gasoline safely, esp. around children.

There was a shortage of tanker truck drivers before the cyber attack. Not sure why.

And yes I agree with Pam, most of the southeast is car dependent so people don't want to get stranded unable to get to work. If you're told your gasoline supply chain is disrupted and nobody knows for sure when it will be corrected, some panic is to be expected.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 12, 2021 11:10AM
Here in CA, we havent see $3 gallon gas in a year. Been creeping up to $4 for the last few weeks.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 12, 2021 11:11AM
I was in NC for an appointment yesterday. I got stuck on one road for an absurd amount of time because the line to the gas station was backed up halfway up the road.

My wife's 2021 VW Golf gets 45mpg on the highway (pretty darn good for a gas engine), so we drove a total of 240 miles yesterday using quite a bit less than half a tank of gas - no need to wait in line to make the trip home. In fact, thanks to the automatic start-stop system, we lost very little gas in standstill traffic.
Date: May 12, 2021 11:45AM
d4

You don't understand how we do things here in the South. Go big or go walk home. The first pic was posted by FB folks in Augusta, GA. There are other similar ones being posted.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 11:51AM by graylocks.
Date: May 12, 2021 11:47AM
i drove home empty canneded.

drove by at least 2 dozen stations. no gas except less than a handful with a line. didn’t get in line thinking it would be just my luck they’d run out before my turn. did see one station getting a tanker delivery. will try again tomorrow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 11:48AM by graylocks.
Date: May 12, 2021 11:50AM
.....no one is shaming people for filling gas tank.......but there are people actually 'hoarding'....i mean filling up drums........

Date: May 12, 2021 11:50AM
C(-)ris

See pics I posted. Never underestimate the power of the human mind.

Date: May 12, 2021 12:03PM
There are a few big issues for those of us in the Southeast:

1) Hurricane season is coming up (with another "more active than usual" predicted season), and it's unwise to not have at least half a tank of gas and possibly more in reserve. You never know when you'll have to evacuate, sometimes with only 24-48 hours notice.

2) For those with gas-based generators, see #1.

3) Events in the Gulf, such as explosions on the oil platforms and major weather events, can have a severe effect on gas prices/availability here.

4) A lot of people here (NOT me, obviously!) have big, gas-guzzling vehicles.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 12:04PM by PeterB.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 12, 2021 12:15PM
graylocks
d4

You don't understand how we do things here in the South. Go big or go walk home. The first pic was posted by FB folks in Augusta, GA. There are other similar ones being posted.

At least she is filling the containers on the ground, unlike the guy with the pickup. Also, I'd like to think she is filling a separate a container INSIDE the open bin, and is just being extra careful about containment, but who knows...
Posted by: Forrest
Date: May 12, 2021 12:18PM
I hope there’s a policeman right around the corner handing tickets out to people with gas in buckets and unlabeled drums!
Date: May 12, 2021 12:28PM
hundreds of photos with peeps filling up giant bins and barrels and even garbage bags (how will your pour that into your tank? A funnel?).

I read your list Peter, but none of those seem to warrant the need to hoard hundreds of gallons of gas -- even more so for an issue that could be fixed in a few days.

Date: May 12, 2021 12:29PM
JoeH
N-OS X-tasy!
bazookaman
graylocks

Many of these places are getting hacked because they connected them to the public networks for convenience, and it really would not cost all that much to keep them on a private network with no direct connection.

IoT has made it very difficult to justify keeping everything on a private network. The problem with that is most IoT devices are inherently very insecure and offer no good way to secure the device on its own. There are many third-party products available that do a good job of limiting access to a network, but as I mentioned they cost money to deploy and administer.

It is what it is.
Date: May 12, 2021 12:30PM
RAMd®d

It's forum decorum, Jake, where one is allowed to paint everyone with a wide Guilty brush, whether they are or not, because it's all about making a point.

I see what you did there. grinning smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 12, 2021 12:32PM
p8712

Just hope that they don't go after the electric grid. The grid is much more networked than everyone thinks. Plus, there are lots of vulnerable access points.

graylocks

Many utility systems use a very old networking system that goes back before the internet was a thing. In many cases, hardening these old systems is a challenge. Complete upgrades are a real challenge.
Date: May 12, 2021 12:34PM
graylocks
p8712

hopefully you’re loving the result of the panic buying. The hack of the pipeline is a worrying sign of infrastructure vulnerability.

i’m about to go out in my Volt to fill a 5 gallon can. a friend is supposed to come in from nashville this weekend. we have our first live club gig in over a year scheduled. The gas is in case she needs it to get home. i’ve seen pics of people filling steel drums at some stations. good grief - the new toilet paper!

Yes, I’m loving not having to wait in line. The infrastructure of our building has been there for years. I’m glad it would be addressed now. But these kinds of packs have been happening for quite some time and no one has cared politically. Hopefully now that is different.
Date: May 12, 2021 12:37PM
Consumer product safety agency reminds us not to put gasoline in plastic bags. Yes people are doing this.

[twitter.com]
Date: May 12, 2021 12:37PM
.....unfortunately, most people are not that 'smart'...........

Date: May 12, 2021 12:41PM

Just hope that they don't go after the electric grid. The grid is much more networked than everyone thinks. Plus, there are lots of vulnerable access points.

Stuxnet and all the rest we don’t know about. I’m sure the grid could be shut down anytime by any number of people. The only thing to keep that from happening is that the US can shut down everybody else’s grids retaliation.

That said, if the gas or electric grid’s really crash, it’d be be mad Max and nothing matters.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 12, 2021 12:56PM
I hope everyone is ok, hope this will pass quickly but remind us to think about our cyber infrastructure too.
Date: May 12, 2021 01:15PM
its been done... worth a watch. I thought it was second best in the series.

Date: May 12, 2021 01:18PM
....but is it a Christmas/Holiday movie....???

Date: May 12, 2021 01:19PM
80% of stations in my town in upstate SC have no gasoline, according to Bloomberg news.

Even if they announce today that the pipeline is restarting, it will take time for the resupply.

Just cancelled a roadtrip for the weekend.
Date: May 12, 2021 01:25PM
jdc
hundreds of photos with peeps filling up giant bins and barrels and even garbage bags (how will your pour that into your tank? A funnel?).

I read your list Peter, but none of those seem to warrant the need to hoard hundreds of gallons of gas -- even more so for an issue that could be fixed in a few days.

No, of course not the hundreds of gallons of gas. But for the average person down here, it made sense to fill up -- most everyone at the gas station where I went had heard about what had happened, and between this and the general rise of prices already predicted to happen this summer, they knew to get gas.

Date: May 12, 2021 01:27PM
Lemon Drop
80% of stations in my town in upstate SC have no gasoline, according to Bloomberg news.

Even if they announce today that the pipeline is restarting, it will take time for the resupply.

And yet every single one of those stations reported they had enough gas to last a week at normal levels. The panic buying is EXACTLY why there is no gas. The pipeline was down for a day and a half and is now back up. The little dip might have caused a few stations to run out, but overall it would have been manageable.

C(-)ris
Date: May 12, 2021 01:35PM
C(-)ris
Lemon Drop

And yet every single one of those stations reported they had enough gas to last a week at normal levels. The panic buying is EXACTLY why there is no gas. The pipeline was down for a day and a half and is now back up. The little dip might have caused a few stations to run out, but overall it would have been manageable.

Where did you hear that the pipeline is fully operational?

The last update I see from Colonial Pipeline was 5 pm yesterday and it said they were still working on it.

[www.colpipe.com]

This is the biggest cyberattack on oil infrastructure in US history. And we don't know how or when it ends. We all hope for minimal impact but the panic is understandable and predictable .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 01:41PM by Lemon Drop.
Date: May 12, 2021 01:44PM
Lemon Drop
C(-)ris
Lemon Drop

The last update I see from Colonial Pipeline was 5 pm yesterday and it said they were still working on it.

[www.colpipe.com]

This is the biggest cyberattack on oil infrastructure in US history. And we don't know how or when it ends. We all hope for minimal impact but the panic is understandable and predictable .

News said it was up and running in manual mode last night. I was reading Apple News on my iPhone so I'm not sure who specifically was reporting it.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 01:44PM by C(-)ris.
Date: May 12, 2021 01:49PM
I heard that sales were up something like 40% over what was normal. No wonder there are shortages.
If everyone had just ignored the whole thing and behaved as usual, there would have almost no disruption. The stations would have gouged on price, but no real shortages or lines.
Colonial said they had a 21 day supply in the tank farms. Obviously it would take longer to resupply with trucks/rail than with the pipeline. Assuming they were up and running in 10 days or less, there should not have been much of a problem. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy mostly brought on by the media over-dramatizing it.

Date: May 12, 2021 01:55PM
C(-)ris
Lemon Drop
C(-)ris
Lemon Drop

[www.colpipe.com]

News said it was up and running in manual mode last night. I was reading Apple News on my iPhone so I'm not sure who specifically was reporting it.

Very limited operation in a few areas, with existing supply only.

This ain't over.

[www.cbs17.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 01:55PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 12, 2021 02:36PM
rgG
This is a self-fulfilling prophecy mostly brought on by the media over-dramatizing it.

Who would expect anything less from the US media? It's what they do best.
Date: May 12, 2021 03:19PM
mikebw
Also, I'd like to think she is filling a separate a container INSIDE the open bin, and is just being extra careful about containment, but who knows...

uh, yeah. you keep on thinking those positive thoughts

Date: May 12, 2021 03:47PM
graylocks
mikebw
Also, I'd like to think she is filling a separate a container INSIDE the open bin, and is just being extra careful about containment, but who knows...

I wonder how much she sloshed out getting it in and out of the trunk. A tub that big would be very heavy and hard to lift. I don’t even see a lid.
RollingEyesSmiley5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 03:47PM by rgG.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 12, 2021 04:51PM
rgG
graylocks
mikebw

I wonder how much she sloshed out getting it in and out of the trunk. A tub that big would be very heavy and hard to lift. I don’t even see a lid.
RollingEyesSmiley5

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. That car will smell like gas forever... at least it will if it doesn't blow up on the way home.

Date: May 12, 2021 05:08PM
Saw on the local news just now that Colonial says they restarted around 5pm today.

[www.cnbc.com]

[www.npr.org]

Colonial Pipeline Restarts: There's No Need To Panic Buy Gas (And Never Was)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 05:11PM by rgG.
Date: May 12, 2021 05:10PM
.....yup, news said all fixed.....will take a few days to 'get back to normal'.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020