advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Going from iPhone 6s to new iPhone 12 with same carrier
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 12, 2021 08:51AM
My 2 iPhone 12's will arrive today. When I bought them the sales lady said I would just be moving the sim, but I also read, that a newer sim, will give me better usage. I have seen and have the YouTube videos where you can put both phones side by side, charging, and do a transfer from one to another. Basically take a picture of that world moving bar code thingy, like the Apple Watch, and wait for the update. And I am sure the phone will come with instructions. Right now we don't backup to the CLOUD. But I am seriously considering paying the $2.99 instead of my wife just paying $.99 and get 2 gig? of shared storage, so that I can save a backup to the cloud.

Question I have is what order do I do things. The sales lady did ask which phone would be using wires phone #, and which would be using mine. So does the new phone come with a sim that is already set to work with that phone #? Or do I need to call T-Mobile and have them do something.

This is just upgrade using the same # on the same carrier.

Thanks for your thoughts. By the time the day is over, this will all be history, and probably very easy to do, Amazon order of two cases and that Dual USB-C charger that was recommended in previous thread will be here today as well.

Thanks, All

EDIT: "Better usage", I couldn't think of the word compatibility or able to use 5G, or any other term that meant I might be losing something...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 09:31AM by Microman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Going from iPhone 6s to new iPhone 12 with same carrier
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 12, 2021 09:13AM
We're going to be going through very process later this evening, as we upgraded two phones with T-Mobile as well. I did find this link which does seem to lay it out pretty straightforwardly.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 12, 2021 09:16AM
Both phones take the same SIM:

[support.apple.com]

Transfer:

[support.apple.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 12, 2021 09:28AM
“Better usage” is a rather meaningless term on its own.

It is what it is.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 12, 2021 09:55AM
You could get a new SIM card at some point, but I wouldn’t worry about it right now. Do a little research and see if 5G is actually present in your area.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: May 12, 2021 09:57AM
I got my 12 pro max yesterday from the t-mobile deal. No messing with sims for me. Hooked the new one up to the charger and Just held the two phones next to each other. First thing it did was the standard choose your country and language. Then update to the newest ios. Then it transferred everything over like you said it does with the Apple watch.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 12, 2021 09:57AM
I would guess the new sim card allows you to use 5G networks.

When I upgraded on Verizon recently, I completed the transfer of data and just moved the old sim card over. Then I ordered the sim card upgrade from Verizon and did that process separately. On Verizon, there's really no difference between 5g and 4g, at least not anyplace i have been.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 12, 2021 09:59AM
Update all the software on both 6s first.
Do a full backup of both phones.

Then use the transfer function. It works very well. There will be a delay as each app is downloaded, but the basic stuff (phone, contacts, passwords, etc. ) will be available right away.

I use and love iCloud backup. Happens on its own, every iOS Device is backed up. I used to wifi synch/backup to my Mini, but it's obsolete now. It's also a 'single point failure'. The $3 a month to the mothership is totally worth it.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 12, 2021 10:54AM
Dennis R
Hooked the new one up to the charger and Just held the two phones next to each other. First thing it did was the standard choose your country and language. Then update to the newest ios. Then it transferred everything over like you said it does with the Apple watch.

10 out of 10 MRFers, agree, this.

Apple makes it so simple a 5 year old could do it. =)

We are an iCloud only family as well. Seriously, hundreds of millions of iPhone users don't own Macs, let alone PCs -- if you want backup = cloud. If your phone died tomorrow, get a new one, log into cloud... and new phone is restored like nothing ever happened.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 12, 2021 11:16AM
jdc

I dunno about that. There seems to be a crowd here that always has a reason to do things in the most difficult manner...even though the easy path exists.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 12, 2021 11:20AM
Markintosh
jdc

I dunno about that. There seems to be a crowd here that always has a reason to do things in the most difficult manner...even though the easy path exists.

Hooo, tru dat.

9 out of 10 ;)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 12, 2021 01:20PM
+1 on iCloud. Worry free, hassle free, wise, etc.
Date: May 12, 2021 02:40PM
Upgraded the wifes iCloud to family. .99 to $2.99 a month. Already sharing and backing up my iPhone 6s to the cloud.

The two new iPhone 12's came, and they do come with a SIM installed. I assume since I see the 5G, that it may already be able to connect to T-Mobile.

After my backup of my 6S to the cloud, I will do the side by side transfer and see how that goes.

Both will be hooked up to power. iPhone 12 when put on the slow charger, as compared to a 20 w, said that it had 20% charge out of the box.

I had to go onto Google to see how to turn an iPhone 12 on and off, so that I could take the sim tool that comes with the phone to see if it indeed comes with SIM installed.

Working on my phone first then wires, then package up old iPhone 6s for shipping to that place that checks the phone again. for credit.

Should I consider backing up my MacBook to this new found storage area? Family Shared 200 Gigs?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 02:44PM by Microman.
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 12, 2021 05:11PM
Microman
Should I consider backing up my MacBook to this new found storage area? Family Shared 200 Gigs?

Yep. It's cheap money--$3 for security.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 13, 2021 01:38AM
You'd need a new SIM if you want 5G service. I just got a "free" upgrade phone (taxes etc were ~ $50). I went from a five year old T-Mobile REVVL to a brand new Samsung S32. New battery, bigger screen, battery, and storage, latest Android and 5G service where available. Pretty much a no brainer.

I had an offer from visible to upgrade to a 5G phone (from a VERY basic Android model) but, visible wanted $288 + tax. I passed on that "deal".
Date: May 13, 2021 09:53AM
Well, I am not sure of others above, and their experience setting up the phone. But mine was a little bit of a pain. Backed up both the wife and my 6S to the CLOUD and MACBOOK, for safety.

Then did the side by side update. My phone worked ok, but left my wife's working while I went to Costco for a rotation and balance appointment. While at the parking lot and walking with a return to Home Depot, I tried to call my son, but the phone went to Tmobile. Apparently even though it comes with a SIM installed, you need to contact T Mobile and give the ICCID?? #. Thats fine, but since I am not the first person the 7 family plan, from the parking lot, they had to 3 way call my son, and get his secret # they send him, and then the last 4 digits of his SSN. The was told to turn off phone, and restart. (Theres a learning experience going from a 6S to 12), Where and how? So 10 minutes later as I am entering Costco I get a call back from T Mobile and the phone is working.

Now the wires phone I left home. Maybe she moved it, while I was gone, but from reading Google, sometimes the old phone (6S) in this case, will stop at 1 minute left., And it did. And all of the Apple on the screen of her 12 were half downloaded, and not downloading anymore.

Then the watch was a pain, getting it back to starting to pair, and taking 30 minutes to hook up.

And getting her ICCID #, prior to working on the watch.

TO get her phone and 6S to transfer had to reset the 12, and restart the transfer, this time it went all the way on the 6s to Transfer Complete, and all of the apps, etc, downloaded or were continuing to download.

So all good, except now I cant put into my AUX jack on the Corolla. But it does have nice sound coming out of the bottom. (2 speakers I think)

Oh, Since it was Wednesday, I wanted to get the 6s's in the mail to Assurant, so I quickly grabbed old small Amazon Boxes, and padding, and got them off to the Post Office. The sooner the better to see if they do indeed lower the monthly bill for each of the phones for 24 months from $35-36 to around $18

Now to try and research why I am having trouble connecting 12 to Echo Dot in the Kitchen...

Finally got Echo Dot, to pair with iPhone 12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 10:38AM by Microman.
Posted by: jawg
Date: May 13, 2021 10:24PM
I went from first gen iPhone SE to iPhone 12 Pro Max last month. Yes, you do need a new SIM for 5G. I got an unlocked phone from the Apple store and they gave me the 5G SIM for AT&T at no additional charge. I had a dinosaur service plan from AT&T and had to change/upgrade my plan to have 5G functionality. But it actually ends up costing less. I had some difficulty with iCloud verification on the new phone (particularly adding my AppleCard MasterCard to Wallet) and had to call Apple support which got it straightened out. I was able to do the side by side data transfer between old and new phone without problems. No problems working with AT&T and Apple to get the 12 up and running and the 12 has been a pleasure to use.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 15, 2021 02:21PM
There were a LOT of problems with 6S iPhones. I went through THREE of them and STILL had issues. Multiple visits to Apple Stores & ATT did NOT solve the problems (nor did changing the SIM). Once I got an iPhone 8+ the problems disappeared.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020