advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
put that in your pipe and smoke it?!......Colonial Pipeline is back in action......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 12, 2021 05:05PM
......just announced on news.....fixed......but will take a few days to get product through the channels......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 05:05PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: put that in your pipe and smoke it?!......Colonial Pipeline is back in action......
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 12, 2021 05:08PM
And they ain’t paying a single cent to the hackers. Used backups and recreated others, and the extortion threat nulled.
Colonial Pipeline restarts after hack, but supply chain won’t return to normal for a few days
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: May 12, 2021 05:10PM
Hope you find a use for those garbage pails filled with gasoline in your front yard

Colonial Pipeline restarts after hack, but supply chain won’t return to normal for a few days
[www.cnbc.com]

Colonial Pipeline restarted operations Wednesday at approximately 5 p.m. ET after a ransomware attack last week forced the entire system offline on Friday evening. The company did warn, however, that its pipeline would not be fully functional immediately.

“Following this restart it will take several days for the product delivery supply chain to return to normal,” Colonial said in a statement. “Some markets served by Colonial Pipeline may experience, or continue to experience, intermittent service interruptions during the start-up period. Colonial will move as much gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel as is safely possible and will continue to do so until markets return to normal,” the company added.

Shortly before Colonial’s restart announcement, President Joe Biden said to expect “good news” from the company in the next 24 hours. He added that the White House had been in “very close” contact with the company.

The majority of the Colonial Pipeline, which operates the largest fuel transmission line from the Gulf Coast to the Northeast, has been offline since Friday. The company shut down its systems as a proactive measure after it fell victim to a ransomware attack by a criminal group known as DarkSide.

The pipeline is a critical part of U.S. petroleum infrastructure, transporting around 2.5 million barrels per day of gasoline, diesel fuel, heating oil and jet fuel. The pipeline stretches 5,500 miles and carries nearly half of the East Coast’s fuel supply. The system also provides jet fuel for airports, including in Atlanta and Baltimore.

Given the importance of the pipeline, there was swift action from Washington, in what officials called a “comprehensive federal response.”
[more at link]
Re: Colonial Pipeline restarts after hack, but supply chain won’t return to normal for a few days
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 12, 2021 05:13PM
From NPR
[www.npr.org]
Colonial Pipeline Restarts: There's No Need To Panic Buy Gas (And Never Was)

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Re: Colonial Pipeline restarts after hack, but supply chain won’t return to normal for a few days
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 12, 2021 05:27PM
OK now WFT am I gonna do with the 6700 gallons of gas in plastic drums in my backyard? It took 3 days to h'oard that and I had ta leg-wrestle 6 badgers for the last 3 drums.
Re: put that in your pipe and smoke it?!......Colonial Pipeline is back in action......
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 12, 2021 05:51PM
Good thing you can't return gasoline.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 12, 2021 05:52PM
Lew Zealand
OK now WFT am I gonna do with the 6700 gallons of gas in plastic drums in my backyard? It took 3 days to h'oard that and I had ta leg-wrestle 6 badgers for the last 3 drums.

You are going to be SOL because that gas will break down the plastic in the drums and when you try and use it in your car it will clog the fuel filter and injectors and you will be in for a large repair bill.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 12, 2021 06:04PM
Well, glad that's over. Ten minute outrage break! Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 06:04PM by Acer.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 12, 2021 07:27PM
Colonial will move as much gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel as is safely possible and will continue to do so until markets return to normal,” the company added.

Do they have separate pipes for each product? or do they switch back and forth? if they use the same pipes for multiple products, is there a contamination when they switch from one product to another?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 12, 2021 07:44PM
space-time
Colonial will move as much gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel as is safely possible and will continue to do so until markets return to normal,” the company added.

Do they have separate pipes for each product? or do they switch back and forth? if they use the same pipes for multiple products, is there a contamination when they switch from one product to another?

It gets mixed and separated upon discharge. smiley-laughing001
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 12, 2021 08:04PM
So they'll be back to..... Layin' the pipe?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: May 12, 2021 08:55PM
macphanatic
space-time

Just the product near the change in type of liquid being piped. They put a batch of one type of petroleum product through, then another. There may be some mixing at the ends of each batch. Sometimes another liquid such as water is pumped through to separate one batch of product from the next, and separated out at the end.
Date: May 12, 2021 09:14PM
JoeH
macphanatic
space-time

Just the product near the change in type of liquid being piped. They put a batch of one type of petroleum product through, then another. There may be some mixing at the ends of each batch. Sometimes another liquid such as water is pumped through to separate one batch of product from the next, and separated out at the end.

That’s what “pigs” are for.
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 12, 2021 09:39PM
[gizmodo.com]

Colonial has only managed to restart a small segment of the pipeline as a stopgap measure. Even when the pipeline is restored to full service, it will take about two weeks for gasoline stored in Houston to reach East Coast filling stations, according to the most recent schedule sent to shippers. For diesel and jet fuel, the transit time is even longer — about 19 days — because they are heavier and move more slowly.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 13, 2021 03:53AM
Sarcany
[gizmodo.com]

Colonial has only managed to restart a small segment of the pipeline as a stopgap measure. Even when the pipeline is restored to full service, it will take about two weeks for gasoline stored in Houston to reach East Coast filling stations, according to the most recent schedule sent to shippers. For diesel and jet fuel, the transit time is even longer — about 19 days — because they are heavier and move more slowly.

So, for a thousand miles divided by 336 hours (two weeks) equals three miles per hour that gasoline will move. No doubt the more viscous products are also transiting the same pipeline.

Of course, the pipeline was likely full of product when it was shut down so there should be no delay due to distance and velocity in beginning to replenish supplies.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 03:55AM by Speedy.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 13, 2021 07:15AM
Good!

Only there's no gas in my town. People who didn't fill up by Tuesday are stuck in 40 car lines where cars run out of gas and tow trucks, the ones still running, cannot get to them.

Wait for an uber is 2 hours.
Date: May 13, 2021 08:39AM
Lemon Drop
Good!

Only there's no gas in my town. People who didn't fill up by Tuesday are stuck in 40 car lines where cars run out of gas and tow trucks, the ones still running, cannot get to them.

And, it never needed to happen. If the media hadn't fueled a panic, there would have been enough to go around. Makes me furious.

[apple.news]

North Carolina, the first state to declare a state of emergency in the wake of Colonial’s shutdown, should register a significant change by this weekend, said Gary Harris, executive director of North Carolina Petroleum & Convenience Marketers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 08:48AM by rgG.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 13, 2021 09:16AM
rgG
Lemon Drop
Good!

And, it never needed to happen. If the media hadn't fueled a panic, there would have been enough to go around. Makes me furious.

[apple.news]

North Carolina, the first state to declare a state of emergency in the wake of Colonial’s shutdown, should register a significant change by this weekend, said Gary Harris, executive director of North Carolina Petroleum & Convenience Marketers.

I agree but I'm not sure it was the fault of media as in news outlets, they just reported the cyberattack and how people were responding. Social media is the feeding frenzy and nobody can control that.

We lack a sense of community responsibility that would lead people to say "OK I can get by with half a tank this week. I won't take more than I need, that way we'll all have enough gasoline to get to work this week and well hope it's over soon. "

You don't see that. It's each man for himself. Or each woman with a plastic container... aarg.
Date: May 13, 2021 10:08AM
Lemon Drop
rgG
Lemon Drop
Good!

[apple.news]

I agree but I'm not sure it was the fault of media as in news outlets, they just reported the cyberattack and how people were responding. Social media is the feeding frenzy and nobody can control that.

We lack a sense of community responsibility that would lead people to say "OK I can get by with half a tank this week. I won't take more than I need, that way we'll all have enough gasoline to get to work this week and well hope it's over soon. "

You don't see that. It's each man for himself. Or each woman with a plastic container... aarg.

The Atlanta TV stations were really fanning the flames. They were actively looking for places that were out of gas or bad lines and were using confusing footage of people talking about shortages, from several years ago, after one of the hurricanes, but splicing it in to make it look like it was now, this was early on, before stations were out.
Maybe TV stations in NC or other places didn’t do this, but here in Atlanta they sure did.
Their motto seems to be “If it bleeds it leads, and we will cut it to make it bleed, if it isn’t already.”

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 13, 2021 04:28PM
Side effect: the phrase "bag of gasoline" has entered the vernacular.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020