advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RYF: Dyson Pure Cool Link Air Purifier and Fan $119 Target Clearance
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 12, 2021 05:13PM
Just picked one of these up tonight found it wandering the backs of the isles. MSRP $399 they had 4 of them for $119 each on clearance. I needed a new fan, I typically spend about $50-$60 on a fan and it lasts around a year since I sleep with it on. Having it be a purifier is an added bonus and worth the extra $60 I think.

Link: [www.target.com]

BrickSeek: [brickseek.com]

I might have even beat SlickDeals on this one. Not seeing it listed.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 05:19PM by C(-)ris.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RYF: Dyson Pure Cool Link Air Purifier and Fan $119 Target Clearance
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 12, 2021 05:27PM
C(-)ris,

No deal even at that price. Can't speak for how well the Dyson will work as a far but they are poor performers when it comes to cleaning air. That $119 would've better put towards a model from a brand like BlueAir, Winix or Coway.

Robert
Date: May 12, 2021 05:39PM
Robert M
C(-)ris,

No deal even at that price. Can't speak for how well the Dyson will work as a far but they are poor performers when it comes to cleaning air. That $119 would've better put towards a model from a brand like BlueAir, Winix or Coway.

Robert

While the air purification is a nice feature, I don't have allergies and the air is clean here in Wisconsin. I need the air blowing on my face, not just circulating the room. The air purification was a bonus and it seems to do alright. Obviously a dedicated purifier is going to do a better job, but that isn't what I was after.

Here is a somewhat biased comparison: [www.blueair.com] as it is from BluAir, but it looks like the Dyson is about half as a good as a dedicated unit. I'm OK with that for the price.

I did find their fan: [www.blueair.com]

More than twice the price, and IMO very ugly. Doesn't fit my style at all.

C(-)ris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 05:41PM by C(-)ris.
Date: May 12, 2021 05:52PM
C(-)ris,

Can't speak for BlueAir's fans. The air purifier's they make are top-notch and often best in class and definitely on the more expensive side.

Dyson products are often _way_ overpriced and, for many things including fans, don't do a particularly good job for the money. Just need to look at reviews of the products from places like Wirecutter and Consumer Reports. The one exception is vacuums. Very good performance and at times best in class but at a _very_ steep price.

As a fan, I hope it performs well. I suspect it probably will do a decent job for that purpose. $120 worth of performance? You would've been better off with a model from Vornado for nearly half the price.

Robert
Date: May 12, 2021 05:55PM
Robert M
C(-)ris,

Can't speak for BlueAir's fans. The air purifier's they make are top-notch and often best in class and definitely on the more expensive side.

Dyson products are often _way_ overpriced and, for many things including fans, don't do a particularly good job for the money. Just need to look at reviews of the products from places like Wirecutter and Consumer Reports. The one exception is vacuums. Very good performance and at times best in class but at a _very_ steep price.

As a fan, I hope it performs well. I suspect it probably will do a decent job for that purpose. $120 worth of performance? You would've been better off with a model from Vornado for nearly half the price.

Robert

Probably true, time will tell. My current unit is a Vornado, it made it about 16 months or so before the bearings started to make noise. I had some Honeywell's before that and those lasted about 8 to 10 months.

C(-)ris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 05:55PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: hal
Date: May 12, 2021 06:00PM
C(-)ris
Robert M
C(-)ris,

Robert

Probably true, time will tell. My current unit is a Vornado, it made it about 16 months or so before the bearings started to make noise. I had some Honeywell's before that and those lasted about 8 to 10 months.

Stay with Vornado - I had one fail not long ago. I immediately went out and got another, but then I said to myself, 'didn't that come with a 5 year warranty?' - it did. They handle warranties like older HHDs. They had me check the serial and verified that it was covered. Then had me cut the power cord and email a picture of the cut cord and the serial and they sent me a new one that came with a new 5 year warranty.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 12, 2021 08:44PM
We have several Dyson fans/filters, and we will add more over time. They have been excellent performers, quiet and look nice. And they can be readily cleaned.

I think they are overpriced at retail, but they can be found as full refurbs or on sale (often via the Dyson eBay store) often at half price or left.

This price is excellent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 08:45PM by sekker.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 12, 2021 09:30PM
I run a fan in the bedroom at night and it died after the warranty expired. When I looked for a replacement the reviews were consistently bad saying most fans don’t last very long. I sprung for the Dyson and several years later it is still working great. I’m satisfied and I’m sure Chris will be also.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 09:32PM by davemchine.
Date: May 12, 2021 09:57PM
I just got it all setup. I like it so far. Good air flow, adjustments are good. Really like the ability to schedule it on and off in the app. Will definitely save some energy as I sometimes forget to turn off my fan in the morning. The white noise it produces is far superior to the Vornado IMO.

My only small complaint so far is that at settings 1-3 there is a whine from the fan, this may go away with some use as it breaks in or my hearing may degrade till I can't hear it, but for now 4 is my lowest setting. The oscillation is silent which I like as well. So far two thumbs up for me and I am happy at the $119 price. Not sure I would pay $399 for it, but at $119 I am thinking about grabbing another one.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 12, 2021 10:35PM
I'm w/ hal, Vornado makes great fans and has great customer service.
Ditto on the cord cutting experience; bought another small, personal use one a couple of years back, because other human usurped the previous unit. New fan had a bit of a bad odor that I thought would subside with use. No joy. I contacted Vornado and asked about it, and they made a new, sweet smelling replacement fan show up on our doorstep a couple of days after the cut cutting exercise.

Great deal on the Dyson, would've probably snagged it, too, if that deal stumbled within view. That's a bit more than our Vornado 660, almost silent, face-blowing fan cost at BB&B several years back. The Vornado 660 is quiet, and works from across the room, and can also put out gale force wind if desired. We have 6 Vornados in active use, and a seventh (small one) kept in a shopping bag for portable use.

Also have blown thru several Honeywell's over the years, and admittedly, one of our matching, older Vornado pedestal fans has had noisy bearings for the last couple of presidential election cycles.... but thankfully when it's raised up past about a 45° angle it quiets down, and still keeps working. Over the last 50 years, or so, the Vornados have held up the best, by far. Still like the Dyson clearance deal, though.
==
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 13, 2021 05:31AM
Vornado 'fanboy' here, own four different models.

Agree with Robert M, Dyson is over-priced, Asian made plastic;
often sold with marketing hype that borders on deception.
Anything Dyson is a thumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs down for me.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Date: May 13, 2021 07:00AM
MrNoBody
Vornado 'fanboy' here, own four different models.

Agree with Robert M, Dyson is over-priced, Asian made plastic;
often sold with marketing hype that borders on deception.
Anything Dyson is a thumbs downthumbs downthumbs downthumbs down for me.

Hahaha- nice.

I’ll have to explore Vornado options. We like our Dysons fine, but the form factors are limited.
Date: May 13, 2021 08:53AM
Hi everyone,

I wish more companies made a fan like this particular model form Lasko:

[www.lasko.com]

I have a few of these and they can move a good amount of air despite having a smaller footprint than models with larger heads and blades. The problem is their longevity. I've found Lasko fans just don't hold up well. Wish Vornado made a version of it.

Robert
Date: May 13, 2021 02:39PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

I wish more companies made a fan like this particular model form Lasko:

[www.lasko.com]

I have a few of these and they can move a good amount of air despite having a smaller footprint than models with larger heads and blades. The problem is their longevity. I've found Lasko fans just don't hold up well. Wish Vornado made a version of it.

Robert

We moved to Dyson because this style of fan is very difficult to keep clean.
Date: May 13, 2021 03:44PM
Sekker,

That was never an issue for us. Easy enough to clean using a swiffer duster or, if it was really bad, blowing it out with a shop-vac set in reverse. smiling smiley

Robert
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 13, 2021 07:43PM
My favorite non-Vornado fan is the Ozeri Brezza III Dual Oscillating Fan w/ Remote and BT. Didn't post about it before, as it's not used for light breezing "in your face", but it's an amazingly functional fan for ~$50. Four speeds, oscillates back and forth, and/or up and down, has built in timer settings to automatically shut it off after you fall asleep. They make several other fans that I've demo'ed, that also seem pretty robust in that brief exposure, but full disclosure; our original Brezza II crapped out about a year out of warranty, and its replacement, our first Brezza III (which was intro'ed during the Brezza II's tenure) ground its oscillating gears to shreds shortly before its warranty was up. Ozeri replaced it (and acknowledged it had been part of a known bad batch) w/ our current Brezza III, which thankfully has been flawless so far. Based on the current experience, I'm a big fan, but "in your face" honors still belong to Vornado.

==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 235
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020