advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New laptop?
Posted by: vicrock
Date: May 12, 2021 06:27PM
My better half needs a new laptop - MBP or Air?

His computing needs are pretty basic - and we are able to shop at the military exchange - just got a 5% off coupon to use this week. What are the current thoughts on an Air or a MBP?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New laptop?
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 12, 2021 06:34PM
Either. Performance is near identical. Since basic needs, I see no reason to spend extra. My teenagers are happily rocking base MBAs near 6 months now. surfing, video, zoom, google docs, etc, etc, etc. runs like a champ.

MBAs are (or were a couple of days ago) $899 in several places, amazon, B&H, costco and even BBuy, where could prob pickup today.

Cue all the MBP people... to which I say "meh". BASIC USE.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 12, 2021 08:25PM
The MacBook Air used to be the most under-powered Mac that Apple made. The M1 changed all that. Now the M1 Air is one of the best performing Macs available at any price.

It also happens to be the least expensive (current model) laptop Apple sells. (I think they might still sell the old Intel MBA even though it's been superceded.)

Posted by: sekker
Date: May 12, 2021 08:40PM
Based on your needs, even the lowest-end M1 MBA would serve you well. I think it's an awesome machine.

Do keep in mind that if this is your first USBC/TB3 Mac, you will need some dongles to connect to older items.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 12, 2021 09:05PM
YouTube is full of comparisons, Linus Tech is a good channel to watch.

MBP has a fan. A fan could fail eventually.

MBA has no fan. It will slow down if you do intensive video coding. Otherwise, you won't see any difference. And you will probably appreciated the less sound and the few hundred left in your wallet.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 12, 2021 09:32PM
space-time
YouTube is full of comparisons, Linus Tech is a good channel to watch.

MBP has a fan. A fan could fail eventually.

MBA has no fan. It will slow down if you do intensive video coding. Otherwise, you won't see any difference. And you will probably appreciated the less sound and the few hundred left in your wallet.

Fan failure or not, my wife used her 16GB RAM MBA for video editing for our church until they purchased their dedicated system. Worked flawlessly on 60 minute 1080P videos edited using FCP, never broke a sweat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 09:33PM by sekker.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: May 13, 2021 05:39AM
The M1 changed the entire computing game, which sounds like hype until it is personally experienced.

As other noted: the low end Ram M1 Air will suffice 100% for everything he'll need. Put some of the extra money into a larger internal drive.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 13, 2021 08:58AM
Subject to availability, right now the base M1 Air is $849.99 at Microcenter. That's $150 off list and $50 below the edu price.
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 13, 2021 11:03AM
datbeme
Subject to availability, right now the base M1 Air is $849.99 at Microcenter. That's $150 off list and $50 below the edu price.

that's a deal if you can score it.

skip more internal storage and the $$$ apple charges for it. If you need more get something external.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020