Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Man Riding in Driverless Tesla Is Arrested in California
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 12, 2021 10:01PM
[www.nytimes.com]

A California man seen traveling in the back seat of a driverless Tesla was arrested in the Bay Area, the authorities said on Tuesday, following a call on social media to report similar behavior to the police.

The man, Param Sharma, 25, was arrested on misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and disobeying a peace officer, the California Highway Patrol said in a statement on Tuesday.

The Highway Patrol said that police officers responded at about 6:35 p.m. on Monday after 911 dispatchers received calls about a Tesla Model 3 with no one in the driver’s seat traveling east on Interstate 80 across the Bay Bridge.

A highway patrol officer at the bridge’s toll plaza spotted the Tesla “with its sole occupant in the back seat,” according to the Highway Patrol.

While trying to pull the car over, the officer saw the passenger move into the driver’s seat. The occupant then stopped the Tesla on the shoulder of Interstate 80 and Mr. Sharma was arrested, the police said.

Mr. Sharma was booked into Santa Rita Jail in Alameda County, and the Tesla was towed from the scene as evidence. Mr. Sharma did not respond to a request for comment on his case on Wednesday.

It is illegal in California for an autonomous vehicle to operate without a person behind the wheel, said Officer John Fransen, a spokesman for the highway patrol.

Hey, people, hold your phone in landscape mode. Sheeesh.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2021 10:09PM by Speedy.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Man Riding in Driverless Tesla Is Arrested in California
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 12, 2021 10:02PM
stupid
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 13, 2021 07:19AM
A number of these people seem to have family roots in the Indian subcontinent.

My Indian father has been known to jump out of a moving car to go do something he wants to do, when it doesn't suit the rest of us. In other words, in my experience, stubbornness is a real problem with this demographic.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: May 13, 2021 09:37AM
S. Pupp

My Indian father has been known to jump out of a moving car to go do something he wants to do, when it doesn't suit the rest of us. In other words, in my experience, stubbornness is a real problem with this demographic.

With nearly 4B people in India and probably hundreds of million more members of the Indian diaspora, even a dozen anecdotal cases--much less, two--isn't enough to draw any inferences about characteristics of the demographic. smiley-signs006

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 09:38AM by Billybob.
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: May 13, 2021 09:44AM
My guess, he does this on a section of road that he pre-tested to make sure no disengagement’s were necessary.
Many of these YouTube, "hold my beer, watch this" are stupid, and should hasten Darwin to take it's due.
Stupid should hurt.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 13, 2021 10:17AM
Apparently AiutoPilot has engaged AutoDummy mode.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 13, 2021 10:31AM
Billybob
S. Pupp

With nearly 4B people in India and probably hundreds of million more members of the Indian diaspora, even a dozen anecdotal cases--much less, two--isn't enough to draw any inferences about characteristics of the demographic. smiley-signs006

1.2B Indians in India and millions around the world are hardly relevant to Tesla crashes in the US.
You’re not likely to change my mind - remember what I said about Indians and stubbornness? It applies also to half-breeds like myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 10:39AM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: May 13, 2021 11:00AM
Did I say 4B? I meant 1.4B (what's a couple of 100M between friends?).

Not trying to change your mind, just disagreeing with you. emoticon-animal-004
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 13, 2021 11:39AM
Ken Sp.
My guess, he does this on a section of road that he pre-tested to make sure no disengagement’s were necessary.
Many of these YouTube, "hold my beer, watch this" are stupid, and should hasten Darwin to take it's due.
Stupid should hurt.

From the details in the report, this wasn't an ordinary road he was driving on, it was the SF-Oakland Bay Bridge, which is about 4.5 miles long, and is the western end of Interstate 80. The police noticed him passing through the toll plaza.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 154
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020