Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
F/U to Real Trouble now...
Posted by: DP
Date: May 13, 2021 06:35AM
Re: [forums.macresource.com]

Thx again for the tips and help but nothing worked. Regardless of what I do, it just boots into the start window with the old HD icons. Although now, a window pops up trying to find a Bluetooth device.

Guess I need to look for a replacement... 9 years is a decent run.

Sometimes I feel like this-

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: F/U to Real Trouble now...
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 13, 2021 09:00AM
Did you try zapping the PRAM...CMD Option P R all at once. Do this 3 times in a row. Then power the machine off and try and start it up with the option key.

Make sure you are using an Apple keyboard, third party ones don't always work. If it is asking for a BT connection means it isn't recognising the keyboard or mouse.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 09:02AM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 13, 2021 09:12AM
Did you try holding down the "T" key at startup sound to see if it will boot into Target Disk mode? That would allow you to connect it to another Mac with Firewire and then either fix it with Disk Warrior or reinstall the OS on the internal drive from that other Mac.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: May 13, 2021 10:55AM
Did you try zapping the PRAM...CMD Option P R all at once.

Yes, but not three times in a row. Will try it.

That would allow you to connect it to another Mac with Firewire

Only FW? I don't have any FW connections nor adapters on my machines.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 13, 2021 02:07PM
“Only FW?”

Or TBolt.

“ Although now, a window pops up trying to find a Bluetooth device ”

Gives some credence to the idea that your keyboard is not being recognized.

Check to see if your Mac is running the latest/correct firmware and SMC versions:

[support.apple.com]

[eclecticlight.co]

Boot into Recovery mode and then select the external drive to boot from. Run Disk First Aid while you are there. This should also give you a chance to install a fresh system.

[support.apple.com]

Run software update on each startup disk.

Do you have any other bootable disks?
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 13, 2021 02:34PM
A long shot, but...

[www.macrumors.com]
Date: May 13, 2021 05:43PM
Did you try holding down the "T" key at startup sound to see if it will boot into Target Disk mode

Did this but I got a grey screen with a lightning icon moving around the screen like an old Microsoft screensaver...

I have no Lightning cables either.

Date: May 13, 2021 06:45PM
It's alive! Success! Sort of. But I went thru Recovery mode (still took three tries) and after I ran First Aid on both the internal and the external running 10.14.6, of which both are fine, I got it to copy from the external to the internal and I'm running off of that now! I'm posting from the iMac.

Again, all your help has saved me a few bucks-at least temporarily, and when anyone gets to visit, margaritas are on me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2021 06:46PM by DP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 195
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020