advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Would like to upgrade my Daughters iPhone 6s, decisions
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 15, 2021 11:27AM
Since the wife and I upgraded on T Mobile on a deal where we turned in our iPhone 6s for $380 credit over 24 months of payments for iPhone 12's. I have started to think that my daughter should get an upgrade. She is a teacher, and demands the ability to have that port out for sound, etc.. But my learning curve, and Amazon, has taught me that with a little $, you can make any phone that now has no AUX port, do what you need.

I personally am waiting for a delivery on 3 item today. A bluetooth thingy for the car, that is highly recommended, and one supposedly APPLE lightning to Aux cable, and a lightning to lightning and aux cable that I didn't realize gets bad reviews. But I will determine.

So I am looking for a phone for her. Where is the sweet spot to invest in a phone for her. I see a iPhone 8 but its att, and we are T Mobile with a broken screen locally for $50. I could probably fix the screen and repace the battery and have a good phone for less than $100. But I may wait till I see a T Mobile phone that I can get her.

Or if T Mobile has another deal, that she can get a good trade on her phone..

Will look at T Mobile site.

App downloads are sure faster with this new iPhone 12

Thanks, for any advice, and if anyone has a decent good battery phone, that they are looking to sell, point me to it?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Would like to upgrade my Daughters iPhone 6s, decisions
Posted by: SteveO
Date: May 15, 2021 11:59AM
Yeah the aux adapter things are nifty for old-school wired earbuds, fer sher. You/she can also get BT earbuds and not have to deal with cords, if that has any appeal. For your phone upgrade...I'd think there are some deals to be had.

There is a T-Mo thread on Reddit that usually has the latest promos, or you can google or just check the T-Mo site. You might also check the big boxes for trades, etc. We got my wife's 11 a few months back via Costco deal. It was the cheapest deal we could find sans trade. Her old 7 crapped out due to a known modem defect, that even had an extended warranty as a result - but Apple wouldn't help us out. So we got an okay deal at Costco. The 11 was like $549 for 128gb model.

T-Mo also frequently does an Add A Line promo wherein for example, if you currently have two lines on xyz qualified plan, you can add a line and basically get 3 lines for the price of 2. I have found good info on this on that Reddit page. I'm thinking of adding my mom and sis to our plan as they both need new phones and in recent months, T-Mo ran promos for sweet deals on new phones when you Add A Line.

If you're so inclined, you can also just call T-Mo CS and ask them what are the best deals, or get on Twitter or FB and message the T-Mobile reps and just ask them, what can they do for you on a trade or just outright?

T-Mo texted me a cs survey a while back after a messenger convo with their FB reps. I answered that I wasn't real happy with T-Mo (and was looking around) b/c my phone was too old to qualify for a new iPhone 12 trade-in...I got a call from a T-Mo rep a few days later...and a new 12 Mini arrived a few days after that! (At an amazeballs discount.) They really took care of me. I'd say 9/10, T-Mo are simply great at customer service.

Full disclosure: I do not own stock or have any financial interest in them (other than sweet deals on phones and service), but I should probably look into it! If you are 55+ they also have some nice Unlimited plans that beat anything else I've seen from other mainline carriers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2021 12:05PM by SteveO.
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 15, 2021 12:20PM
I don’t quite know what your price point is, but considering you clearly keep you iPhones a long time, and teachers I know use their phones as cameras, I would look for one that is fairly recent. The iP12 is in a super cycle now as well - great camera, even harder glass, and some future proofing with 5G.

If you can find a good deal on an 11Pro with its nice cameras, that’s also fine. But I think the carrier deals likely make the 12 cheaper.

And I agree that the lack of the phone jack is often not a deal-breaker. I stand that it was user-hostile to make Apple $$. But there are options as you note. I’m sure you could post that question here and get great ideas for what worked - I have some solutions in my house. For the car, my son loves his google bluetooth adapter system.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 15, 2021 12:48PM
On T-Mobile, I recently traded in a T-Mo REVVL 4G I've had for years and got a "free" Samsung S32 5G (I had to pay the taxes ~ $49). The S32 HAS a standard audio mini-jack or, you could use a USB-C headset (or I expect even Bluetooth). Certainly worth checking it out. Here's a link:

[www.t-mobile.com]
Posted by: pdq
Date: May 15, 2021 01:20PM
Microman
Since the wife and I upgraded on T Mobile on a deal where we turned in our iPhone 6s for $380 credit over 24 months of payments for iPhone 12's.

Looks to me you have to be a new customer. True?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 15, 2021 02:09PM
I think Verizon may be giving a free SE 2020 with a $35 per month plan. That's what I understand; I could be wrong.
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 15, 2021 02:12PM
"Looks to me you have to be a new customer. True?"

I'm an existing customer. I kept the same number, paid the taxes up front and, the "new phone" will be paid off by T-Mobile over 24 months. If you leave before 24 months, then you'd be responsible for any balance on the phone (which I believe has an MSRP of ~ #282). I don't see myself leaving T-Mobile so for me, it's NOT an issue.
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 15, 2021 06:11PM
YEa, nothing beats our Mothers Day Special that the wife and I got $380 each credit on future bill for the iPhone 12.

Also ordered 3 things on Amazon, that were recommended my MacResourcers.

The Apple Lightning to Aux
[www.amazon.com]

The Apple Lightning to Aux and Lightning
[www.amazon.com]

The Bluetooth the plugs into the Aux Port.
[www.amazon.com]

Received them today. First just tried the Apple Packaged Lightning to Aux, and it worked perfectly. It is so light and dinky, almost like holding a larger rubber band in your hand.

Then I tried the Aux and Lighting and drove to the store. Phone Charged, and the sound was great, so this could be for longer trips.

Then the Bluetooth device was charged so I paired it in the house, went outside to the car plugged bluetooth device in aux port, and turned on iPhone to my free weekends of Pandora, and it was perfect. and beautiful.

All three options worked great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020