advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What do we like for wired keyboards with number pad?
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: May 19, 2021 10:31AM
A couple of days ago, I moistened a paper towel to wipe off the keys of a 10-year-old Apple keyboard that came with an iMac. (The iMac died of video-board problems last year.)

Apparently, there was enough water in the paper towel to drip down and take out half of the QWERTY row of keys. They no longer function. Tried to blow out any dust, grit, and water with a high-power, electric duster. No success. Popped off some of the keys to see if I could remove some grit. Still no success.

Fortunately, I have an old Logitech keyboard to use. It was purchased as an experiment to see if the moderately-sculpted, somewhat-ergonomic layout with built-in wrist rest was an improvement. While not bad, both my wife and agree that the sound and feel of the plastic keys is clunky.

After searching on this forum for recommendations, I quickly realized that using the name "Todd's keyboard" makes it challenging to isolate discussions about the pros and cons of various keyboards.

Two items are musts:

1) wired keyboard (A nice feature of the Apple kb were the two built-in USB ports. One was used for the mouse; the second for the printer. While an external hub handles these, it would be nice to plug the mouse into the keyboard again.)

2) Number pad

I'm also intrigued by the thought of an ergonomic keyboard that allows the wrists to sit on the keyboard in a more-natural position without having to bend, rather than the conventional boards that force the wrists to bend from the forearm.

Given that the Apple kb lasted about ten years, I'm coming around to the idea of possibly budgeting $100+ for a similar solution.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Todd's reserve (Welcome Datacomp) keyboard
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What do we like for wired keyboards with number pad?
Posted by: JPK
Date: May 19, 2021 10:42AM
I like the Apple wired extended keyboard.

Are you looking for other options?

JPK
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 19, 2021 10:45AM
Todd,

To me, mechanical keyboards are the gold standard and the only one that is truly 100% Mac friendly out of the box is the Matias Tactile Pro. It's a fantastic keyboard. Great feel, response and overall build-quality. Mac friendly.

I've tried a couple of other mechanical keyboards and actually like the build quality, feel and response of the Varmilo VA108M Mac White LED Dye Sub PBT mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches. In all ways but one, it's actually a better keyboard than the Matias Tactile Pro. The one issue is that the keyboard doesn't support the "option-left arrow" and option-right arrow" commands, which is pretty annoying at times.

If you're accustomed to using those commands, the Varmilo will annoy you tremendously at times. The issue still annoys me but the Varmilo is so good otherwise that I've decided to just live with it. If you don't use those commands, then I'd buy the Varmilo VA108M Mac White LED Dye Sub PBT mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches without hesitation. It's a great keyboard. But, if you use the commands, give a looksie at the Matias Tactile Pro.

Robert
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 19, 2021 10:53AM
Note that the Matias Tactile Pro is very clickity-clackity (i.e. loud). You may prefer the Quiet version. I used to use the regular version at home, but I got the Quiet version for the office. There's no way anyone around me at the office would have liked the normal version. Eventually, I switched to the quiet version at home also.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 19, 2021 11:51AM
Apple Extended II Keyboard. grinning smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 19, 2021 11:58AM
Gareth,

That's one of the nice things about the Varmilo. You choose which switches you want for the keyboard when you order it. I chose the Cherry MX Blue because it seemed to offer the best balance between audible and tactile click and actuation force. Tough call between them and the alps-style switches in the Tactile Pro. Both offer a great feel.

I'm not concerned about the noise generated by a keyboard. My office is a noisy environment and my machine gun hunt and pecking doesn't make all that much of a difference. It literally becomes white noise. My wife is accustomed to it at home. Same goes for little M. Neither blinks an eye.

I've yet to come across anyone who truly objected. Thank goodness because I've been using loud clickety-clack keyboards for nearly 40 years.

Robert
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 19, 2021 12:34PM
My favorite, a slim Kensington, isn't made anymore, and Kensington had quit making Mac keyboards the last time I checked. Great key feel: short-travel keys that aren't mushy or noisy, and slightly dished so that my fingers land on them properly. I'm babying my last one along, hoping it lasts forever.

This one looks like it might be worth a try:

[smile.amazon.com]

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: datbeme
Date: May 19, 2021 01:49PM
JPK
I like the Apple wired extended keyboard.

Are you looking for other options?

JPK

But those haven't been available new for several years.
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: May 19, 2021 02:04PM
I just ordered and received a Matias FK318S wired USB keyboard for my ancient iMac (mid 2007) as a replacement for the original Apple wired USB keyboard. From our esteemed sponsor, during the most recent Garage Sale.

Seems nice, reasonably quiet, has built in 2 USB ports (like the original), and a volume control (!) on the back edge.

The original had developed sticking keys, non-responsive keys, and general dirt-and-crud issues.

All text entered on TheCaber's new and serviceable wired USB keyboard. smiling smiley

=TC
Posted by: jdc
Date: May 19, 2021 02:27PM
This Q is like asking what your favorite food is... 100 different answers.

TheCaber
I just ordered and received a Matias FK318S wired USB keyboard for my ancient iMac (mid 2007) as a replacement for the original Apple wired USB keyboard.

I had one... paint wore off on keys. Ended up just ebaying a real apple one, NIB.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 19, 2021 02:38PM
2+ years I've been using a Microsoft Natural Elite 4000 KB as suggested
by Paul F. [forums.macresource.com]
(The only M$ product I own!)
I bought two, still on the original. They were $12 each on a BB sale.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 19, 2021 05:16PM
I'm still using a Macally IceKey slim ( [www.bhphotovideo.com] ) (but the black version) that is ancient, hasn't been made for years and just won't die.

This appears to be an updated version by Macally.

Whenever my IceKey dies, I have an Apple wired aluminum keyboard, also no longer made, purchased years ago that is waiting to take its place.

I might even try that Ultra Slim. If anyone happens to have one already, let's hear how you like it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 370
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020