advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning EV unveiled
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 19, 2021 09:16PM
I'm not a truck guy but I want one of these!

[www.freep.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning EV unveiled
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 19, 2021 09:29PM
Not bad. The range is not good though for a truck though. I get 500-600 miles before I need to fill up and around 300 towing. This thing will be luck if it makes it 100 miles towing a trailer.

It will sell to people who don't need a truck to do truck things....so 95% of Ford's target market.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 19, 2021 09:33PM
263 miles of range? Will work for many, the rest can buy an ICE until a 500 mile range one is released.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 19, 2021 09:39PM
It has the potential to be incredibly useful. One can now own a truck with all the benefits and not suffer at the gas pump. Sales are probably going to be brisk if they can make enough of them.

Standard full-time 4-wheel drive
563 horsepower, 775 pound-feet of torque
300- or 230-mile range
400 liter front storage compartment
11 power outlets
Ability to power work sites or homes
10,000 pound towing capacity
2,000 pound payload

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 19, 2021 09:45PM
AllGold
I'm not a truck guy but I want one of these!

[www.freep.com]

Me, too.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 19, 2021 09:49PM
I would think hard about this truck...
Date: May 19, 2021 10:06PM
The F150 will let you access cargo in the bed from the side much easier than the other notable electric truck that got unbreakable windows shattered by Elon Musk.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2021 11:50PM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: May 19, 2021 10:12PM
WTH???? It has a Frunk, a front end trunk!

Date: May 19, 2021 10:17PM
prices starting at $39,745.

Date: May 19, 2021 10:19PM
pRICE cUBE
The F150 will let you access cargo in the bad from the side much easier than the other notable electric truck that got unbreakable windows shattered by Elon Musk.

I think the Ford F150 looks far more useful than the other, still only-a-prototype truck.
Posted by: davester
Date: May 19, 2021 10:20PM
Interesting, but it looks to me that they went with the gotta-look-just-like-a-jacked-up-giant-conventional-truck look to satisfy macho truck guys instead of taking advantage of the electric platform to reduce frontal area and improve aerodynamics. That probably explains the relatively low range estimates. We use pickups a lot at work which get changed out every two years and I've found it annoying that trucks have in recent years become much taller and more gigantic making it difficult to access the bed or even to get into the cab. There doesn't seem to be any reason for this other than fashion since truck beds have gotten smaller as the trucks have grown to enormous proportions. Do you really need a cab that'll accommodate someone 7' tall wearing a 10-gallon hat?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: May 19, 2021 10:20PM
pRICE cUBE

This is very cool. You could put a LOT of stuff in the front and then use the backend for all sorts of mobile applications. Interesting.
Date: May 19, 2021 10:23PM
davester
Interesting, but it looks to me that they went with the gotta-look-just-like-a-jacked-up-giant-conventional-truck look to satisfy macho truck guys instead of taking advantage of the electric platform to reduce frontal area and improve aerodynamics. That probably explains the relatively low range estimates. We use pickups a lot at work which get changed out every two years and I've found it annoying that trucks have in recent years become much taller and more gigantic making it difficult to access the bed or even to get into the cab. There doesn't seem to be any reason for this other than fashion since truck beds have gotten smaller as the trucks have grown to enormous proportions. Do you really need a cab that'll accommodate someone 7' tall wearing a 10-gallon hat?

Why, yes you do. Put on bigger wheels, open up the exhaust, etc. Eventually you’ll compensate for that which needs compensating.

Date: May 19, 2021 10:26PM
davester
Interesting, but it looks to me that they went with the gotta-look-just-like-a-jacked-up-giant-conventional-truck look to satisfy macho truck guys instead of taking advantage of the electric platform to reduce frontal area and improve aerodynamics.

DUDE, it has a FRUNK! This is great for concealing items, a weakness for this class of vehicles without buying one of those truck bed lockboxes.

Date: May 19, 2021 10:29PM
pRICE cUBE

Is this surprising to you? Most if not all EVs on the market have Frunks, including every Tesla.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: May 19, 2021 10:33PM
davester
pRICE cUBE

Is this surprising to you? Most if not all EVs on the market have Frunks, including every Tesla.

I guess I figured even an electric a 4x4 truck had more guts to it for various functions.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 19, 2021 11:06PM
C(-)ris
It will sell to people who don't need a truck to do truck things....so 95% of Ford's target market.

THIS! Plenty to take the kids to school and go to the mall, like most Pickups in Texas!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 19, 2021 11:11PM
Rolando
C(-)ris

THIS! Plenty to take the kids to school and go to the mall, like most Pickups in Texas!

Nobody "needs" a Tesla. They just want them. No one has to "need" a truck to want one. It is nice to sit up higher than the traffic around you. I don't like being behind that vehicle though.

I'll dig my keys into the side of that pretty little souped up EV drive....
Posted by: bfd
Date: May 19, 2021 11:20PM
$39K for a stripped down model, wonder how much the markup will be for something useful … seems like they'll easily top $60K with just a few bells and whistles - or as the mfgrs like to call them packages.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: May 19, 2021 11:35PM
A vehicle that comes ready to power a house during an outage is very appealing. Would like a much longer bed, though. Hard to get excited about a truck unless it can haul a stack of 4 X 8 sheets of plywood.

Todd's F-150 board
Date: May 20, 2021 03:06AM
All will be five passenger crew cabs for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 03:07AM by Speedy.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 20, 2021 05:46AM
And then there's still the question of charging time. I can't even begin to think of an all-electric vehicle until it can be charged as quickly as filling a gas tank.

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 20, 2021 06:57AM
Something like 5-10% of truck owners ever tow anything and even fewer tow things long distance. This will appeal and be useful to plenty of people.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 20, 2021 07:10AM
DP
And then there's still the question of charging time. I can't even begin to think of an all-electric vehicle until it can be charged as quickly as filling a gas tank.

I wouldn’t think charging time would be an issue for the VAST majority of drivers, since they primarily operate their vehicles on a 24 hour cycle (and therefore the vehicle would be fully charged at the beginning of every cycle or work day). Do you often enough take long trips in your vehicle or use it such that you’d have to spend time waiting on it to charge?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 20, 2021 07:17AM
Here in NE Ohio most pickups you see on the road are used for work. Company trucks, construction workers, etc.. And those are perfect for this sort of application. I expect them to make a box van body for it next... the design seems to be perfect for putting any sort of body on it.

Unfortunately it's got range issues for the typical vacation truck use towing a trailer, but I would be surprised if Ford hasn't done the research to define the sweet spot for that too. I would expect most weekend trailer draggers don't got more than 100 miles from their home base.
Date: May 20, 2021 07:36AM
The more I find it, the more I like. It looks like 4x4, crew cab, independent rear suspension. $40k seems like a surprising amount for this much vehicle.

Posted by: stephen
Date: May 20, 2021 08:20AM
At the country club in my little hometown in South Georgia, 95% of the parked vehicles are pickup trucks. This is perfect for them.
Date: May 20, 2021 08:29AM
Do you often enough take long trips in your vehicle or use it such that you’d have to spend time waiting on it to charge?

No, because I don't have to! Have you ever had this and that to do, then find yourself on E and then having to find a gas station now?

I'm sure that while, yes, a lot of drivers operate on a 24 hour schedule, I would argue that that's not the "vast majority" of drivers.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 20, 2021 09:15AM
I had never even thought about it have a Frunk. That is a very nice feature for a truck.
They will probably sell the hell out of them to the people who want a truck but don't actually need a truck for 90% of the things they do.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 20, 2021 09:20AM
$39K for burlap bench seats with jute twine for passenger restraints and an AM radio. Same aerodynamics as a brick. The engineers need to rethink things a bit. It doesn't need that MASSIVE front end because there's no engine there anymore, no need for a massive radiator. Take advantage of that and make it more aerodynamic. Seal the bed too so that it isn't a huge parachute on the back end of the truck. That will add about 30% more range to the vehicle. As for side access...full size trucks these days are so tall, that you'd need to be the size of Andre the Giant to lift anything significant out from the side. Most people just climb up into the bed and drag out what they need. I think the Rivian is going to be the sleeper success story here. I have a Cybertruck ordered just because I like the out of the box thinking and utility of the design. The R1T is more conventional looking, but I think they understand it doesn't need to look that way. Rivian yielded to convention because they have to for sales. Tesla didn't yield because they don't need to. Ford stuck with convention because they're incapable of anything else. At any rate, Cybertruck is now slated for production in late 2021, Rivian in mid 2021, F-150 early/mid 2022, and Hummer in 2024.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: May 20, 2021 10:41AM
Speedy
prices starting at $39,745.

That works for me considering how much the Tesla Y costs...and it's a forever truck.
Posted by: JPK
Date: May 20, 2021 10:57AM
That range is a deal killer.

JPK
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 20, 2021 12:02PM
I think it's going to do well, regardless of why haters think people are buying it.

Having a bed and a trunk give provide a whole lot more utility than an SUV or a pickup, for general, personal use, and a lot of people will appreciate it.

And a truck with the ground clearance of a sedan doesn't seem like a smart move.

A friend of mine has owned pickups for the last 40yrs or more.

I'm surprised how very often it gets used as a pickup truck.

Further, how often he loans it to friend's or runs errand for them because — they don't own a pickup.

It doesn't have to be a households sole vehicle, and would make a great second vehicle for a lot of people.

There are at least a couple of guy MRF'ers who are truck guys.

I wonder how many of you heroes would tell them to their face about 'compensating'.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: May 20, 2021 12:06PM
I have a Honda Pilot so I can pull a small camping trailer. When I do, milage drops to about10-12 MPG and I feel like a environmental pariah. So a truck like this one might be a good solution for someone like me, depending on the range when pulling a trailer. Also, will there be charging stations in the woods?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: May 20, 2021 12:06PM
DP
Do you often enough take long trips in your vehicle or use it such that you’d have to spend time waiting on it to charge?

No, because I don't have to! Have you ever had this and that to do, then find yourself on E and then having to find a gas station now?

I'm sure that while, yes, a lot of drivers operate on a 24 hour schedule, I would argue that that's not the "vast majority" of drivers.

If I had a full tank every morning (the equivalent of an EV being fully charged every morning) I don’t think I would ever find myself with an empty tank during the day. That would require my errands to amount to more than the range of the vehicle.

Put it another way, do you find yourself driving more than 300 miles a day normally?

I would be curious what percentage of Americans run on a similar 24 hour cycle in terms of mileage. Out of the thousands of friends and relatives I know, every single one operate on a 24 hour cycle. None of them ever exceed the range of a typical vehicle during their daily routine. Of course I don’t know any truckers or taxi drivers.

Basically EV‘s will introduce a paradigm shift in the way Americans interact with their vehicles. You will spend significantly less time waiting on your vehicle to charge (because you will have in effect a full tank every morning) versus filling gas at a station. In fact this Is among several major advantages of owning an EV over a gasoline vehicle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 12:50PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: May 20, 2021 01:42PM
DP

People who will buy this will never find themselves on E because they will always (probably) leave home with a full charge. Obviously an exception is when they will take a long trip. Then at best they will have to use a fast DC charger to refill and that will, for now and for the foreseeable future, take longer than filling at gas stations.

Our old (2013) PHEV Volt gets 30 to 50 miles on a charge, depending on the season. My wife drives 20 miles round trip to work. If she needs to stop after work to do an errand, most everywhere she goes can be reached on battery. Last year she (rather, I; she hasn’t pumped gas in four years) filled up once and only because Chevy requires the car to burn one tank per year so the gas doesn’t get stale. Her car has not needed to be filled with gas so far this year and likely won’t until the annual burn-one-tank comes around after which I will fill it up. The tank holds a bit over nine gallons. Her charging cable sits four feet from the driver’s side door so refilling is very easy, no mess, no fuss.

My very similar PHEV (a 2014 Cadillac ELR body on a Volt drivetrain) on the other hand made a trip to Florida and Texas. I appreciated not having to wait to recharge so I burned a number of tanks full of gas. But once in Florida and Texas I plugged in where we stayed (Quality Inn in Florida, AirBnB in Texas, three months total) and used zero gas. Here at home I will probably go from March to November without buying gas (nine gallon tank) and I drive somewhere most everyday. My cable also hangs four feet from the driver’s door and I plug in whenever I park the car. It is much more convenient than pumping gas and I never worry about seeing an E (except on our annual long trip). 15 seconds tops combined to unplug and plug each day, no gas from the nozzle on my hands, no credit card swipe, and because we park in a garage, no weather (that canopy over the pumps doesn’t help much when it’s -20F).

If I had an F-150 EV I could plug-in less often if I wanted but I probably would still keep my current practice of charging every night. Assuming a 400 mile comparison to an ICE F-150, I might plug-in an EV 15 times for each ICE gas fill - 15 seconds times 15 equals about four minutes spent refilling my F-150 EV for every one gas fill for an ICE F-150. But my driving patterns would allow 1/4 of those EV F-150 refills if I wanted, or about one minute spent refilling compared to a several minute stop to refill an ICE F-150. However, for long trips you can’t currently beat an ICE for convenience and total time of travel.

DP, you only pay attention to your gas gauge when it approaches E because, naturally, you don’t fill it up every single morning when you leave home. EV users leave home with a full ‘tank’ every morning and only watch for an E on long trips. And the cost is likely half of what you pay for gas, even more so if your utility has reduced rates for off-peak use.

Of course there is a cost to outfit each garage to charge overnight. I bought an EVSE cable through my utility for around $169 plus tax, IIRC. My utility would not allow me to wire it to their supplied off-peak meter so an electrical contractor quoted me $1000 for the install and they had a several month long backlog to do the job. The off-peak rate is half my regular rate plus sales tax, no other additional fixed meter charges. I declined because we don’t plan to live here long enough to recoup the cost of the install. I could not return the EVSE so I will sell it and get double what I paid for it.

You must have a place to charge an EV. This eliminates an EV as a practical option for a lot of people. The convenience of charging at home is part of the reason to buy one. My first apartment, since demolished, after moving for good from my parent’s home back in 1970, had outlets in the parking lot for plugging in tank heaters. Those could possibly have been repurposed to charge EVs. But those outlets went out of vogue with fuel injection and ECUs. However, an infrastructure bill passed by Congress could include retrofitting apartments that offer on-site parking as well as on-the-street parking. Such a bill could also incentivize workplaces to install outlets.

Note that every EV sold comes with an EVSE cable that can plug into a regular 110v outlet, no dedicated ‘charging’ station needed. The actual battery charger is onboard the vehicle, only the specialized cable for safety is required - and outlets, of course. My Volt currently recharges fully in 4.5 hours on 220v current and my ELR recharges fully in about 10 hours. Neither vehicle taxes my wiring because they have small on-board chargers (3.3 kW).

Keep an ICE for your long trips, buy an EV for bopping around the area. It’s inevitable as automakers transition to EVs for the savings on pollution (and gas), the convenience, and the low maintenance unless you like to hear the vroom, vroom of your ICE. For the vroomers, remember, you will be left in the dust by the power and torque of EVs.

Posted by: btfc
Date: May 20, 2021 02:26PM
I have a truck that I use as a truck.

I haul construction materials, pull flatbed, cargo, and camping trailers, pull stumps and drag logs out of the woods.

It has a cap; usually the 8’ bed is roughly half full with tools, gear, and supplies.

4-6 times a year, I drive about 650 mi. each way between my two properties, often pulling a trailer. Regular driving involves from about30-60 mi. on a regular basis, with roughly 120-150 mi. days and mountain passes roughly every two weeks.

I bought a truck that I hoped would split the line between utility and fuel economy. 4WD is a necessity due to snow and terrain. I get about 20 mpg on the highway (less at freeway speeds), about 17 for all around driving, and about 15 pulling one of the smaller trailers.

For a while, I’ve thought about an EV as a second rig. It would need good traction, ground clearance, and room for some cargo. Using one in a backup power scenario is interesting to me too.

In a perfect world, I would be able to charge it off of solar panels, and only drive on days where it had enough charge.

The Lightning is intriguing to me; It doesn’t check every box but gets most of the way there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 02:29PM by btfc.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 20, 2021 02:38PM
Ford sells So Many F-150s that they are merely satisfying that niche within their own market segment. They'll still sell millions of petrol trucks, too.
Posted by: kj
Date: May 20, 2021 03:53PM
Carnos Jax
DP

If I had a full tank every morning (the equivalent of an EV being fully charged every morning) I don’t think I would ever find myself with an empty tank during the day. That would require my errands to amount to more than the range of the vehicle.

Put it another way, do you find yourself driving more than 300 miles a day normally?

I would be curious what percentage of Americans run on a similar 24 hour cycle in terms of mileage. Out of the thousands of friends and relatives I know, every single one operate on a 24 hour cycle. None of them ever exceed the range of a typical vehicle during their daily routine. Of course I don’t know any truckers or taxi drivers.

Basically EV‘s will introduce a paradigm shift in the way Americans interact with their vehicles. You will spend significantly less time waiting on your vehicle to charge (because you will have in effect a full tank every morning) versus filling gas at a station. In fact this Is among several major advantages of owning an EV over a gasoline vehicle.

I've found that many people think you have to charge an EV at a charging station. When I tell them I charge at home, they almost ignore what I'm saying because they just don't get it. I think a person almost has to try an EV to understand that what they think they need, they may actually not need. I've found that 100mi of driving in a day is a crap ton, at least for me.
Date: May 20, 2021 04:20PM
I would be far more inclined to go with a hybrid, like a Volt, as I don't have an issue with those-they have a "backup" system, so to speak.

Date: May 20, 2021 04:27PM
DP

It's just a different way of thinking about how you "fill your tank" with an EV and it's really pretty simple and easy to get used to...

With an EV, when you're home, your vehicle is plugged in and charging (or "getting filled up").

You don't fill up your gas vehicle at home because you don't have a fuel supply at home.

This electric F-150 has plenty of range to get you to your vacation home up north, by the way.

Date: May 20, 2021 04:40PM
If you drive 400 miles a day, every day, and to diverse destinations - this is not the truck for you!

I have neighbors who own more than on F150 (truly). This is an ideal electric truck for them - they keep an ICE, while they have a sports car-like EV truck to enjoy. Their ICE can take their boats to the lake, their Lightning goes to the local restaurant.

We are in a transition time, EVs do not have to replace EVERY USE case where ICE vehicles are being used to be successful.

If you need to drive 400 miles each day, to different places, enjoy your ICE truck. There WILL be an EV option for you in the next decade, but that's not May 2021.
Date: May 20, 2021 04:44PM
DP
I would be far more inclined to go with a hybrid, like a Volt, as I don't have an issue with those-they have a "backup" system, so to speak.

The problem with those is that that since they need to carry two completely independent power plants and two types of "fuel" to operate them, they are far more complicated and also much less capable (i.e. less range, less power) than either EVs or ICE vehicles. They are stopgaps at best.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 20, 2021 04:48PM
I think it will be a hit, especially if someone makes a trailer with either a range extender engine or a second battery pack for towing.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Michael
Date: May 20, 2021 04:50PM
I'm waiting for the 2022 Ranger. The F150 is just bigger than I want. I'm hoping for a plug-in hybrid option. The vast majority of our truck driving is hauling kayaks 5 miles each way and bicycles 18 miles each way, so a PHEV would use electric almost always but when we do the 500 mile trips once in a while the gas engine would take over.

We bought a new CRV last year after they announced the hybrid but I bought a gas one because the hybrids were going for $2000 over invoice around here; we paid $2000 under invoice so it was a $4000 swing. They also are regular hybrids and I'm really more interested in a PHEV. Plus they don't have a spare tire and instead give you a can of fixit goop. I don't remember the last time I had a blowout that incapacitated a car but I'm just not yet ready to give up a spare. I suppose that's a matter of time before all cars just don't have spare tires...
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 20, 2021 05:11PM
AllGold
DP

It's just a different way of thinking about how you "fill your tank" with an EV and it's really pretty simple and easy to get used to...

With an EV, when you're home, your vehicle is plugged in and charging (or "getting filled up").

You don't fill up your gas vehicle at home because you don't have a fuel supply at home.

This electric F-150 has plenty of range to get you to your vacation home up north, by the way.

I had the Bolt for about 6 months. I loved it. But I never stopped having range anxiety. Even with a full battery I drove in a way that I thought would conserve it. I averaged about 260 miles from a full charge. I could get up to 300 if I stayed conscious about how I drove.

Freeway driving ate up the power the fastest. Street driving was much better. Good regen. The heater ate up a lot of power too.

The best thing about a gas powered car is the way to "think" about it is you don't have to think about it. Gas stations are everywhere. And they're fast. You don't have to wait in line to use a charger as I often did. Yeah, I could charge it at home and that's cool. But I don't want to "have to."

Also, it's too many batteries and too many types of batteries. And am I really going to trust an EV that's not a Toyota, Mazda or Honda over the long term.

It's all coming around nicely. If I suddenly decide to go to Tahoe for the weekend, it's stressful to have to think about how I'm going to fill it up.
Date: May 20, 2021 06:22PM
davester
DP

The problem with those is that that since they need to carry two completely independent power plants and two types of "fuel" to operate them, they are far more complicated and also much less capable (i.e. less range, less power) than either EVs or ICE vehicles. They are stopgaps at best.

My Volt moves right along and the range is only limited by the availability of gas stations. As a commuter car around town, it can’t be beat, and I could take it on long trips. Although range and power are not issues, fuel economy can be.

As posted above, I have two PHEVs. I drive up to the lake to visit pop, a 500 mile round trip and we almost never stay overnight. I don’t take either PHEV, rather I drive our ‘03 VW TDI Passat wagon because on a long trip, the Diesel gets the better overall mileage even if I leave home fully charged and charge during our six hour visit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 06:22PM by Speedy.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 20, 2021 07:25PM
$39K for burlap bench seats with jute twine for passenger restraints and an AM radio. Same aerodynamics as a brick. The engineers need to rethink things a bit.

On the contrary, I think the engineers knew exactly what they needed to think about. The F Series is the most successful vehicle ever and remains so every year. Buyers LOVE this truck and those buyers need to be moved into the electric vehicle age. You don't win them over by changing the basic design elements of the F-150. That design is part of their own self image as F-150 owners. So aerodynamics be damned for now. It's the familiar, beloved F-150 but electric and more capable for a good majority of people who buy them.

I watched the unveiling with a picture of my late brother next to the computer. He owned a Honda Element, a Nissan Leaf, and an F-150. No, he didn't really need a truck but there was no way he ever would part with it while he lived. I sold the Leaf and the F-150 after he passed. He would have loved the Lightning and would have been first in line to get one. I half considered putting down the $100 deposit on it in his memory.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: May 20, 2021 07:37PM
graylocks
$39K for burlap bench seats with jute twine for passenger restraints and an AM radio. Same aerodynamics as a brick. The engineers need to rethink things a bit.

On the contrary, I think the engineers knew exactly what they needed to think about. The F Series is the most successful vehicle ever and remains so every year. Buyers LOVE this truck and those buyers need to be moved into the electric vehicle age. You don't win them over by changing the basic design elements of the F-150. That design is part of their own self image as F-150 owners. So aerodynamics be damned for now. It's the familiar, beloved F-150 but electric and more capable for a good majority of people who buy them.

Well said!

Date: May 20, 2021 08:20PM
AllGold
graylocks

Well said!

Agreed. Ford saw the reaction to the Tesla truck and knew its customer base was quite different.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020