advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What Would Cause a Router to Reset Itself?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 20, 2021 08:24AM
Woke up to my Netgear C6900 cable modem apparently having reset itself to factory settings. The only wifi network showing is the default one it ships with and not the two 2.5 and one 5.0 networks i had set up. my smart house is not happy. Alexa won't talk to me.

There are no signs of a power glitch over night. I'm about to try to log in and reset things but what might have caused this. a little concerned I've been hacked or something. apparently the ethernet connection my iMac is hooked up to is fine.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What Would Cause a Router to Reset Itself?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 20, 2021 08:34AM
A firmware update may have caused that. Is it set up for automatic updates?

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Date: May 20, 2021 08:39AM
modelamac
A firmware update may have caused that. Is it set up for automatic updates?

I have no idea. I've probably had this router for 3 years and not had any issues.

I'm trying to bring up the router login page. It's not working. The default password to the default system isn't letting me log in either. This is bizarre.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: May 20, 2021 08:50AM
Maybe Alexa went rogue?

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 20, 2021 08:52AM
I once had something similar happen, where Verizon had forced out a password change because the default one had been hacked or something, it was annoying though because I wasn't even using that one anymore anyway. I don't recall the Wifi networks being affected though, so not quite the same as what you are experiencing.
Date: May 20, 2021 08:53AM
ka jowct
Maybe Alexa went rogue?

i did tell my son yesterday that I thought the house is becoming sentient.

I just now was able to log in to the router. now attempting to reestablish my systems.

Posted by: GGD
Date: May 20, 2021 09:04AM
Since it's also a cable modem, the firmware updates are actually done and controlled by your ISP, quite possible that they did one last night.
Date: May 20, 2021 09:08AM
GGD
Since it's also a cable modem, the firmware updates are actually done and controlled by your ISP, quite possible that they did one last night.

even if it's not a modem from Xfinity? This seemed to have happened at 2:37am. That's when my ring alarm system went on cellular back up.

after googling it does seem firmware update are pushed through whether you own the modem or not. wish i knew if they did that in the early morning hours.

i've got most everything reset. one Alexa device is asking for my amazon password which makes me a bit nervous. maybe i'll enter it and change it immediately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 09:43AM by graylocks.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 20, 2021 09:41AM
Lots of stuff can do that.

Foremost, yes, your ISP does program the modem remotely. This is true even with a modem that you supply. They can and do push updates that can crash or reset a modem.

The device may also have randomly crashed without help. It happens.

Or someone may have a botnet pushing exploits that crash Netgear modems. Or some random DoS attack tripped it.

Or it's overheating. Or it has a firmware bug. Or it has a hardware-defect and will be doing this every few days from this point forward.

Posted by: rgG
Date: May 20, 2021 09:46AM
Sarcany
Or it has a hardware-defect and will be doing this every few days from this point forward.

Aren't you just a little ray of sunshine. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: testcase
Date: May 20, 2021 08:02PM
Malware.....
Date: May 20, 2021 08:17PM
testcase
Malware.....

Nothing showing up in Malwarebytes. i know that's no guarantee, though.

Posted by: Don C
Date: May 20, 2021 09:50PM
My modem was resetting fairly often. Spectrum online help was no help so I finally called the help line. Switched me over to tech support who determined that I had been suffering way too many reboots over the past couple of days. Sent a guy out about three hours later. Working from the inside out, he finally climbed the pole in the alley and determined that the wires at the junction box were chewed up, probably squirrels he thought. He ran a brand new line from the pole to the house and had the maintenance crew come out (I guess that night) and replace the splitter at the main wire in the alley.

No more TV problems and no more internet problems.

You might have your ISP check the line going to the house.
Date: May 21, 2021 02:17PM
Don C

You might have your ISP check the line going to the house.

good suggestion if the problem persists. so far no repeats.

Posted by: space-time
Date: May 21, 2021 09:31PM
Kid resetting the router to get around password protection in the middle of the night?
Date: May 21, 2021 09:35PM
space-time
Kid resetting the router to get around password protection in the middle of the night?

naww! he's way beyond the age where i have anything password protected anymore.

Posted by: space-time
Date: May 22, 2021 11:19AM
I knew that. Just messing with you.

Did he move out?
Date: May 22, 2021 11:40AM
space-time
I knew that. Just messing with you.

Did he move out?

no. 27 and still counting...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020