advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Getting a new HVAC system with Ecobee thermostats, is that good?
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 20, 2021 12:41PM
Our bigger Lennox builder grade POS HVAC heat pump’s evaporator coil went south. It was under warranty, bur because of Covid, excuse maybe or not, they have no idea when one would be available. It has been two weeks already. We thought we could limp along with the old one till they got more in, but then the coil apparently fell down and cracked the internal pan and because the external pan wasn’t slid over another inch, the evaporator condensation started leaking down onto the ceiling of the room below. Ugh.

So, we are having to scrap a 41/2 year old system and buy a new one. Oh joy. This is a two zone system so we will be getting two Ecobee 3 lite units. The downstairs unit will stay with the old Honeywell thermostat.
My husband is tech challenged and they insisted that the E3 was very simple, if you just want to turn it up or down or off. I hope this is true.

Do we here like the Ecobee thermostats? We don’t run our HVAC systems on a schedule, we pretty much just set and forget. Any comments or tips on these new Ecobee 3 units would be welcome.

PS I would much rather be buying two new iMacs and have money to spare than a new HVAC system that I shouldn’t have to replace. cursing smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Getting a new HVAC system with Ecobee thermostats, is that good?
Posted by: Microman
Date: May 20, 2021 12:58PM
Ecobee user here. I like it. No extra, Just two story house, with sensors around, but sometimes, it gets cold, and hot in a room that I would like the opposite. Not Ecobee fault, just a one system for a two story house.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 20, 2021 01:39PM
Another happy ecobee user here. i do use schedules because especially in winter i see no need to keep the entire house at a comfortable temp when i’m tucked under blankets. waste of money. for winter sleeping hours i lower it to 60.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2021 01:40PM by graylocks.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 20, 2021 01:45PM
Another Ecobee user here, easy enough to install myself, and very easy to use. There is an optional app and you can even access it through a web interface if desired.
Date: May 20, 2021 01:58PM
Ok, sounds promising so far.
I just don’t want an angry hubby. Lol

Posted by: Microman
Date: May 20, 2021 02:33PM
Call Ecobee support, and just see how they treat you. I don't think they have farmed out their support. I believe they are in Canada. eh
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: May 20, 2021 02:44PM
I've had an ecobee 3 Lite for several years. No problems, super easy to use.
Date: May 20, 2021 02:45PM
Article Accelerator

Excellent!
Hubby does not like change. Lol

Date: May 20, 2021 02:56PM
rgG
Article Accelerator

Excellent!

are you a smart enabled household? it's very convenient to say Alexa/Siri raise/lower the temperature 2 degrees.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 20, 2021 03:04PM
If I was in the market, this is the only option I'd look at aside from Nest. As best I know Ecobee has better smart home integration.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 20, 2021 03:08PM
Smart thermostats are awesome. No more dragging myself downstairs because the Mrs. is hot. or cold. She's normally one Hot Woman...
Date: May 20, 2021 03:26PM
graylocks
rgG
Article Accelerator

Excellent!

are you a smart enabled household? it's very convenient to say Alexa/Siri raise/lower the temperature 2 degrees.

Not a Smart household. I will not voice enable anything, again, hubby would not adjust well. Lol
I can see where that would be nice though.
I have downloaded the app, so at least I will be able to do some things remotely.

Date: May 20, 2021 03:32PM
rgG
Not a Smart household. I will not voice enable anything, again, hubby would not adjust well. Lol
I can see where that would be nice though.
I have downloaded the app, so at least I will be able to do some things remotely.

yes, you can do so much from the app. nice to be under the covers on a nippy morning and bring the heat up with the app before you pop out of bed.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 20, 2021 04:29PM
If you have an AppleTV to act as a hub (or a HomePod or an iPad that stays home), then you can set up HomeKit with your EcoBee. Why would you want to do that?

We set up a scene that says as soon as myself and Mrs Markintosh are both gone from the house, it lowered the temperature setting to 62° instead of 69° (during the winter season). As soon as either one of us gets home, it automatically returns to normal setting. (it senses this via phones being on or off our wifi network).

That feature saved us about 30% in heating costs last winter.

We don't have AC and the heat generally doesn't run from now until October...so no big savings there.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: May 20, 2021 04:40PM
They are installed now and they seem pretty straightforward.
With the temps supposed to be in the mid-90’s next week, I am very happy to have AC back on upstairs.

Posted by: Carm
Date: May 21, 2021 04:52AM
Love the multiple sensors we got with the Costco version. Bought two.
Needed to disable the sensor on the main unit. Poor air circulation where thermostat is was causing bad readings.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: May 21, 2021 02:26PM
Ecobee support is fantastic and in the North America. When I installed mine I had a problem. Support guy had me take a photo of the furnace panel and the ecobee connections and walked me through setting it up. He even assisted me in connecting a "C-wire" from a spare line and we got it connected to the correct terminal on the furnace panel. Great support!!!.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2021 02:27PM by richorlin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020