advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Online recipes
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 21, 2021 06:55PM
It seems like at most recipe sites now, that you have to scroll down like about a half a mile or so before you get to the actual list of ingredients and an easy to read and follow recipe.

They are definitely breaking the Fannie Farmer tradition of easy to use recipes.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Online recipes
Posted by: davemchine
Date: May 21, 2021 07:00PM
My go to website used to be allrecipes.com because their layout was great and I could save my favorite recipes to my "recipe box" on their website. In their last revision they mucked alot of that up. Websites just want endless scrolling anymore so we end up with the least efficient layouts. Many times I just retype the recipe myself and save it to my computer.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 21, 2021 07:13PM
freeradical
It seems like at most recipe sites now, that you have to scroll down like about a half a mile or so before you get to the actual list of ingredients and an easy to read and follow recipe.

They are definitely breaking the Fannie Farmer tradition of easy to use recipes.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Noticed it and I thought I complained about it here a while back but I can't find the thread now. Yes, it's very annoying. I don't want a story. I just want the recipe. Thankfully, most of them have a "Jump to Recipe" button near the top.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 21, 2021 08:16PM
Oh god yes. They try to create a lifestyle brand before the ingredients list. This is why I end up at my fav sites.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: May 21, 2021 08:23PM
I keep scrolling down and I don't see a recipe yet!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 21, 2021 08:41PM
many of the non-comm bloggers have smarted up and have a box at the top of the article "jump to recipe".
Their ideas are more interesting to me anyhoot.
That and the NYT Cooking tab, though they do charge extra after a couple views a day.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: mrbill62
Date: May 21, 2021 10:26PM
My sister LOVES the Paprika app, which she says gets rid of the lengthy commentary & just downloads the recipe. She says it's the best money she's ever spent on an app (she's a culinary arts grad). Also Paprika syncs across all devices.
Posted by: Billiken
Date: May 22, 2021 03:44AM
Recently one of my FB recipe groups have a lot of recipe links to a site called ineskohl.info, example:

Carrot Cake Recipe

The odd thing about this site:

*I cannot print the page; from Safari and Firefox, I get a blank PDF
*I cannot copy and paste the text from the page; you cannot select it

I've not run across anything like this before.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 22, 2021 09:02AM
Billiken
Recently one of my FB recipe groups have a lot of recipe links to a site called ineskohl.info, example:

Carrot Cake Recipe

That website is terrible. I tried turning off Javascript to see if it would make difference, and doing so causes the page to redirect to allrecipes.com ... suggesting that they're pirating stuff from that website.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: May 22, 2021 09:07AM
Billiken

Carrot Cake Recipe

Go to reader view.
Then you can copy and paste or just print, etc.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: May 22, 2021 11:30AM
mrbill62
My sister LOVES the Paprika app, which she says gets rid of the lengthy commentary & just downloads the recipe. She says it's the best money she's ever spent on an app (she's a culinary arts grad). Also Paprika syncs across all devices.

That sounds interesting.
Posted by: mrbill62
Date: May 22, 2021 12:08PM
She tells me the app has a way to enter the url of the page/recipe & Paprika will extract the recipe. It can create a meal plan, shopping list, & even keep track of what ingredients you have.

I don't use it, but I'm more of throw whatever's avilable in the skillet (or pot) and go from there. She loves it and as a test subject I rarely have any complaints (do have some food intolerances).
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 22, 2021 01:23PM
.....so this is a recipe.............for disaster.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020