Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
IR blaster/repeater question
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: May 24, 2021 08:40AM
Hi

My Denon receiver is sitting in a rack in a closet in which we keep the door open all the time

I want to get volume control of the receiver using my new Siri remote that Apple had just released

Currently, the only way to do that without setting up CEC control (which I don't want to do for various reasons) is via line of sight into the closet

Since we keep the closet door open all the time, we can get line of sight, but only if we direct the Siri remote towards the closet and low down in the rack where the receiver sits

In order to do this, one would have to sit in a certain location on the couch when watching Apple TV - if one sits in a different portion of the couch, he would be unable to obtain line of sight to the receiver

There's an IR blaster attached to the receiver currently, I'm guessing for my home automation Control4 remote control of the receiver

My question is how do I get IR control from the Siri remote to the receiver without having to do what I mentioned above

Is this a good use of case scenario for something like an IR repeater?

Do I just keep the transmitter portion out in the open in the room and the receiver portion in the rack, directed towards the receiver? Or vice versa?

Thanks in advance

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: IR blaster/repeater question
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: May 24, 2021 09:02AM
I do that with my receiver that I'm using for outdoor movies. Obviously the receiver is inside but you need the remote outside. So I have an IR repeater over the IR sensor on the Denon with a cable that goes under the curtain and sits in the window. Now I can control the receiver from outside by aiming the remote at the sensor.

Date: May 24, 2021 09:05AM
Do you have an Amazon or other store link so I can see exactly what it is I need to get?

Thanks
Date: May 24, 2021 09:06AM
This is what I got...

[www.amazon.com]

I initially ordered one that only had ONE input b/c I thought I was only going to do the receiver. Then realized I needed to be able to control the Roku as well. So I got the one linked above as it let me use two repeaters (or more).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 09:09AM by bazookaman.
Date: May 24, 2021 09:10AM
Interesting, thanks

Wondering if something like this could work for my needs:

[smile.amazon.com]

I just need something to stick a bit outside of the closet so we don't have to move around a lot to send the signal from the Siri remote to the receiver
Date: May 24, 2021 09:16AM
pinkoos
Interesting, thanks

Wondering if something like this could work for my needs:

[smile.amazon.com]

I just need something to stick a bit outside of the closet so we don't have to move around a lot to send the signal from the Siri remote to the receiver

haha.

That is the first one I bought. And yes. It DOES work. If you only need to repeat one thing. If all you are doing is your receiver, and thats all you will ever do, it will work just fine.

Date: May 24, 2021 09:21AM
Got it, thanks

Yeah, I don't anticipate needing anything else so may just go ahead and buy the simpler one and try it out

Thanks again!
Posted by: Cary
Date: May 24, 2021 04:57PM
I have a couple of these set ups. One is a wall mount - bothers the receiver and controller are made to fit in standard wall boxes. The other one has a receiver like the one you linked to has, and a small box with room for multiple inputs.

Both work great. One is a Niles (higher end), the other is a brand that I never heard of from Amazon.
Date: May 24, 2021 04:59PM
Cool, thanks for the additional info

I went ahead and ordered the one at my link, should come tomorrow, will report back
Date: May 25, 2021 09:46PM
So I got the doohickey today and just set it up

Seems to work great and has a wide 'spread' meaning I don't even have to point the Siri remote directly at it for it to receive the signal

And, as an added benefit, my Denon had a USB port up front so I just plugged the doohickey into that for power

All in all, I'm pleased with this solution

Thanks for the help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 148
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020