advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dashcam saved me $$$
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 26, 2021 08:16PM
Get one. Just got into second fender bender within a year. Strangely enough, same fender. But this time she took out my driver's door, too. In both instances i was demonstrably not at fault but my ins co was ready to invoke my deductible in both crashes if not for the video evidence. In fact, they did, both times, until I had to point them to the YT link I provided. Tip: the ins companies don't have much facility with video, so YT is the only way.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dashcam saved me $$$
Posted by: Carm
Date: May 26, 2021 08:24PM
Thanks for the info, no such issues yet. Getting one for my son, he just got his second car.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 26, 2021 08:26PM
......but.....video killed the radiostar.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: jonny
Date: May 26, 2021 08:27PM
I'm convinced. Got a cam reccomendation?
Posted by: hal
Date: May 26, 2021 08:31PM
how does insurance co know it's your car in the video?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: May 26, 2021 08:41PM
mrbigstuff
Get one. Just got into second fender bender within a year. Strangely enough, same fender. But this time she took out my driver's door, too. In both instances i was demonstrably not at fault but my ins co was ready to invoke my deductible in both crashes if not for the video evidence. In fact, they did, both times, until I had to point them to the YT link I provided. Tip: the ins companies don't have much facility with video, so YT is the only way.

Comes from living in or near "Crash Central or the Vortex".
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 26, 2021 08:48PM
I've had an older Viofo A119S 1080p dash cam for four+ years that has been dependable. I've had only a few close calls but so far haven't really needed it.

I frequently go back and get the video when I see something interesting. For instance, every now and then I share driving clips of my old childhood neighborhood with my brother in another state.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 26, 2021 10:56PM
this reminds me that I need to reformat the sd card in my dash cam. the dash cam had stopped working and I disconnected it.

Date: May 26, 2021 11:10PM
jonny

Of course, it came from a recommendation on here by space-time! I think thr brand is Aukey, and it was about $40
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 26, 2021 11:38PM
I got one a couple of years ago. Soon after while driving on the expressway, a new-ish Mercedes started brake-checking me. On the 3rd time, she was going about 30 on the expressway, I could see her looking at me in the mirror.

I pointed to the camera....and she sped off!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 27, 2021 06:18AM
Rolando
I got one a couple of years ago. Soon after while driving on the expressway, a new-ish Mercedes started brake-checking me. On the 3rd time, she was going about 30 on the expressway, I could see her looking at me in the mirror.

why would someone with a new-ish, luxury-ish car do this?
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: May 27, 2021 06:31AM
space-time
Rolando

Insurance fraud.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 27, 2021 07:17AM
I had a dashcam in my last car, don't have one in this one.

A guy crossed three lanes of traffic to jump into an exit lane at the last second and slammed the rear of my car in that lane. He came at me from such an angle that I didn't see him until he nailed me, but my front/rear dashcam caught him basically entering the lane at a right-angle as he nailed the back of my car, and my car spinning out from the impact.

I told this to the insurance company and provided the video via YouTube. The damage showed a pretty decent outline of his bumper in the rear panel, indicating a near 90-degree hit. The camera also caught him holding his phone when he hit me. I thought it was a pretty clear case.

They still held me at fault, saying that because I didn't see him coming they were going by his story, and his story was that I somehow hit his car. (With the rear of my car??) I had one of those "good driver" plans where they didn't ding me for the accident because of my history, so they covered the damage and my rates didn't go up. But I was royally pissed off that they faulted me for that guy's recklessness.

I checked the YouTube playcount. They never looked at the video.

Date: May 27, 2021 07:26AM
Yeah, the ins cos. (amazingly) don't seem to care about video evidence. They practically didn't look at the photos I provided on their own app that I had to download in order to file the claim.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: May 27, 2021 08:06AM
space-time

You're assuming there's some correlation between "new-ish, luxury car" and the driver having normal, innate common sense.

Hanlon's razor = "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
Posted by: robfilms
Date: May 27, 2021 08:15AM
i never thought of a dashcam as being used to establish liability.

makes obvious sense.

i was just unfamiliar with the thought.

i'm surprised that car makers aren't installing record-ability into already installed front facing cameras.

is there a current recommended dashcam?

do folks think front alone or front/back are better options?

how are the cameras powered?

if through the car's usb ports then aren't they always draining the car's battery?

i just never gave it a thought.

now i'm wondering if i must.

tia

rob
Posted by: PeterB
Date: May 27, 2021 08:29AM
I have what is now considered a very old model, can't remember the brand, but it's probably a Chinese knockoff ... but what's nice about it is that it has both front and rear-facing cameras and without requiring additional wiring. It has its own internal battery as well as a memory card slot, and automatically starts up from USB power when the car starts up, and loops / overwrites old recordings as needed. (So to answer rob's question, it doesn't really drain the battery much.) The only things it doesn't have, that I know newer models do, are GPS and automatic "locking" of recordings when it detects an accident/violent vibration. Haven't had a need for these though, and haven't had a need for the dash cam in general ... but it's nice to know it's there, in case of morons of the types described in this thread.

Edit: the one I have, I'm pretty sure they don't make any more ... which is a shame, because the design is pretty good... here it is: [cukii.com] ... the photo doesn't do it justice, you have two cameras, of which one is adjustable in terms of angle, and there is an LCD screen that folds out from the side.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 09:24AM by PeterB.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 27, 2021 08:44AM
.....have only dined.......and dashed......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: May 27, 2021 08:50AM
Sarcany

What is your insurance company? I'd like to avoid it.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 27, 2021 08:55AM
Still no recommendations...

Please? Anybody?

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 27, 2021 08:57AM
mrbigstuff
jonny

Of course, it came from a recommendation on here by space-time! I think thr brand is Aukey, and it was about $40
Date: May 27, 2021 09:05AM
Sam3
Please? Anybody?

I am considering this one. Low profile, cell phone interface.
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 27, 2021 09:12AM
Sam3

Please? Anybody?

Everyone else will tell you how to go cheap, I'll tell you how to go high quality.

I have a blackvue DR650S-2CH although there are newer models out. Its a two camera setup. I ran a wire between the two cameras and its pretty well hidden. I also have a separate battery specifically for the camera that charges when the car is on. The camera will continue recording for up to 12 hours. This site has a lot of good reviews - [www.blackboxmycar.com]

and obviously wirecutter [www.nytimes.com]

IMO, go cheap because its better than nothing or go high end because its still very worthwhile insurance. Don't just go by megapixel, go by image quality. Consider clarity at night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 10:10AM by mattkime.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 27, 2021 10:14AM
DeusxMac
space-time

You're assuming there's some correlation between "new-ish, luxury car" and the driver having normal, innate common sense.

Hanlon's razor = "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

In my experience, people with New-ish, not NEW, Luxury cars are overextending themselves for a status symbol! Check out Repo videos on YouTube, and you will see a high percentage of Luxury models being repo'd as well. On one hand, you get a lot of car for the money. A 10 year old BMW has depreciated so much, its price c ompettive with a same year Toyota! (and Much less reliable!)

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 27, 2021 10:26AM
Sarcany
I had a dashcam in my last car, don't have one in this one.

A guy crossed three lanes of traffic to jump into an exit lane at the last second and slammed the rear of my car in that lane. He came at me from such an angle that I didn't see him until he nailed me, but my front/rear dashcam caught him basically entering the lane at a right-angle as he nailed the back of my car, and my car spinning out from the impact.

I told this to the insurance company and provided the video via YouTube. The damage showed a pretty decent outline of his bumper in the rear panel, indicating a near 90-degree hit. The camera also caught him holding his phone when he hit me. I thought it was a pretty clear case.

They still held me at fault, saying that because I didn't see him coming they were going by his story, and his story was that I somehow hit his car. (With the rear of my car??) I had one of those "good driver" plans where they didn't ding me for the accident because of my history, so they covered the damage and my rates didn't go up. But I was royally pissed off that they faulted me for that guy's recklessness.

Didn't the police look at your video to help determine who's at fault? And wouldn't the other guy have been be cited to support your claim?

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 27, 2021 10:59AM
Let's not forget our friends at the Insurance Commissioner's office.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 27, 2021 11:16AM
mattkime
Sam3

Please? Anybody?

Everyone else will tell you how to go cheap, I'll tell you how to go high quality.

Yea, there's such a range in dash cams, that without a price point, it's pointless to make a recommendation. I've used a decent number, and now I go high-end. Thinkware U1000 for me because it's 4k on the front and 2k on the rear. [www.blackboxmycar.com] Thinkware and Blackvue are the premium dash cam products.

And my eventual plan is for 360 protection, using the "rear" cameras on the side and mounting an additional "front" camera on the rear window. So main cameras front and back with the 2nd cameras on the left and right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 11:16AM by Gareth.
Date: May 27, 2021 11:21AM
robfilms
i'm surprised that car makers aren't installing record-ability into already installed front facing cameras.

Tesla does, but yea, more manufacturer's should make it an option. I think they're afraid consumers will think they're getting all "big brother" on them and revolt. But, it would be so much easier if this functionality was built-in to the car, especially since wiring up SUV/crossover's for rear cameras is a bit harder with the rear hatch than a sedan.

robfilms
if through the car's usb ports then aren't they always draining the car's battery?

Cigarette lighter, USB, or hard-wired (which can enable "parking" modes). Whether than drains your battery depends on how your car's ports work. My front cig lighter is powered only when the car is on, my rear cargo one is always on (I didn't know that), so when I left on a trip once, I came back to a dead battery. But in my wife's car, both ports are only on when the car is on. Hard-wiring will often enable a "parking" mode that activates when motion/g-sensor is detected, and usually has a device to cut power when the battery hits a determined low voltage (so you'll still be able to start the car).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 11:25AM by Gareth.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: May 27, 2021 11:25AM
robfilms
is there a current recommended dashcam?

do folks think front alone or front/back are better options?

I have this Rexing in one car and this one in another and this one in a third (if I ever install it).

They come with adapters to plug into your 12V accessory port (cig lighter). The connection is USB mini, so I hard-wire mine to the fuse box (using a third-party kit) and hide the cord as best I can.

They have a super-capacitor, which allows it to gracefully save the video and shutdown when you power off the car.

The first one I bought (5 years old now) probably has a bad super-cap. The last video from a drive (it records in short segments, 1 2, or three minutes) is always corrupted.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 27, 2021 12:21PM
Most if not all American cars have 12V ports (sometimes just a cigarette lighter socket) that are live whether the ignition is on or off.

Most if not all Japanese cars turn off those ports when the ignition is off.

Others, such as German cars, I have no idea.

This makes the difference for video security when the car is parked.

Some cameras have motion detection as well as or instead of impact detection when the car is parked.

Resolution and fps are key.

I'd want to be able to capture a license plate, in the event something happens and the other party doesn't stop.

I haven't found one I like yet, but lean towards something that mounts on the rearview mirror, so it might go unnoticed, during a burglary.

There are cheap cameras that seem to work well, but I hadn't seen any quality, high-end kit in some time, so maybe I should start looking again.

Some of them use the OBD port for power.

Tucking the power cable way is always the most difficult part, and I've become lazy in my old age.

Getting video off the camera can be limited to removing the SD/mirco-SD card or making an WiFi connection from the camera to the phone, very convenient.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 27, 2021 12:31PM
My cam has about a 12ft cord that plugs into the camera with a USB-A on one end and a mini B.

Gareth, I'm curious what you end up doing. Please post when you have decided
Date: May 27, 2021 12:48PM
Several years ago I settled on - two identical cams (Viofo A119S); one on front windshield, one on rear window. The two cost about the same as a single, two-camera system, but provide higher quality video to the rear.

Viofo

Personal preference: Fixed mount rather than hanging on a stalk: while it can't be pointed in different directions should the need arise, it doesn't get knocked out of useful position in a crash ("Oh look at the beautiful clouds!")

Also a UV filter helps image quality a great deal; cuts down on glare and reflections.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 27, 2021 01:03PM
MrBigStuff,

I can say that insurance companies do look at dashcam footage. Used it when someone backed into my car while it was parked. Had footage from my dashcam and footage from my office's surveillance system. Send it to the insurance company and it confirmed exactly what happened during the collision. Didn't put it on youtube. Send the videos directly and also included dropbox links to it. That way, they had the footage even access to a site like youtube was barred.

Robert
Posted by: Robert M
Date: May 27, 2021 01:08PM
Hi everyone,

I can recommend two dashcams. I have this one:

[www.bestbuy.com]

Rock solid excellent! I can vouch for the quality.

My older older brother has this one:

[www.amazon.com]

He's very happy with it. Haven't used it myself but I'd definitely consider it.

Robert
Date: May 27, 2021 01:17PM
That Viofo cam looks quite neat.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 27, 2021 02:39PM
I have the Aukey DR02 and like it pretty well, though it's my first dash cam so I have nothing to compare it to.

Date: May 27, 2021 04:14PM
Robert M
I can say that insurance companies do look at dashcam footage.

My wife's insurance (USAA) also used her dash cam footage to determine fault, which was very helpful, because without it, it probably would have gone 50/50 (they were both backing out of parking spots, but my wife stopped and honked while the other party kept going), and with it, it was 100% the other party's fault. It's too bad we didn't have them for an earlier accident which went 50/50 but should have been the other party's fault as well.
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 27, 2021 04:55PM
I could have used a rear facing dash cam for parking lot incident, tell you what. I was backed well into the travel lane, and just about ready to go forward, when the other guy backs into my rear side fender. The insurance split the blame 50/50. That's my story, thanks for listening.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 27, 2021 07:29PM
steve...
Didn't the police look at your video to help determine who's at fault? And wouldn't the other guy have been be cited to support your claim?

No police report.

Bad spot to wait for a cop. Very dangerous. Right on top of a busy ramp with no emergency lane. Just cement barriers on either side. Cars were coming within inches of us at 50mph and more.

We took pics, exchanged info and got out of there.

S. Pupp
What is your insurance company? I'd like to avoid it.

GEICO.

I switched from Allstate after they bungled an easy claim after someone rear-ended me while I was stopped at a stoplight at the bottom of a hill. I've never experienced such an utter lack of respect for customers and such a fundamental inability to do the most simple basic tasks before or since.

While they pissed me off at the way they handled it in that respect, GEICO nevertheless impressed me with their professionalism at handling all other aspects of the claim. They called every day to check on the progress of the repair and got me a nice rental and I had a check in-hand promptly for the shop.

And they didn't raise my rates.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 28, 2021 02:38AM
Nowadays around here, most police agencies require significant vehicle damage, impaired traffic flow, complaint of pain or injury, civil standby, and/or a couple of other criteria before they'll respond.

Otherwise, it's a fender bender and 'exchange driver's license information'.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: May 28, 2021 08:09AM
RAMd®d
Nowadays around here, most police agencies require significant vehicle damage, impaired traffic flow, complaint of pain or injury, civil standby, and/or a couple of other criteria before they'll respond.

Otherwise, it's a fender bender and 'exchange driver's license information'.

All the more reason for having dashcams.
Date: June 01, 2021 08:07PM
jonny
Sam3
Please? Anybody?

I am considering this one. Low profile, cell phone interface.
[www.amazon.com]

Bought it. Quality is quite good. The noises it makes are a bit annoying, but it looks like it's not too tricky to unplug the speaker.
Night: [youtu.be]
Day: [youtu.be]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020