Posted by: jh
Date: May 27, 2021 12:03AM
The History Guy tells of A History of Roadside Attractions

Those of us old enough--remember these signs as you traveled

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are We There Yet?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 27, 2021 08:32AM
So many epic road trip memories from the 1960's.... "2,000 miles to Little America ". "Snake Farm", "Indian Gift Shop", etc....

I think we went to all of them on our Station Wagon rambles from Missouri to Utah every summer while Dad did research into mineral formation in the Wasatch and Uinta mountains outside of Salt lake. Five kids in the station wagon, dad driving wearing his headphones to the fancy Alpine deck that he had installed, Mom and my sister and I dealing with the babies and the younger set. Traveling along US40, camping out each night at state parks, and spending a couple of months in a rented cabin (or tent !) high up in the mountains.

One year we even did Route 66 through Death Valley, and routed north to LA and then San Francisco when I could not breathe in the LA photochemical smog. Spent a week at my mother's cousin's ranch in Oakdale.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 27, 2021 11:02AM
cbelt3
"Snake Farm"

[youtu.be]

"Seems kinda nasty....pretty much is"

Last week we stopped at [gatorsandfriends.com] on US 80 at the TX/LA border. It was fun!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: steve...
Date: May 27, 2021 11:50AM
One near me:

Trees of Mystery on Hwy 101 in northern CA

Northern California Coast
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 27, 2021 12:42PM
places-
Planter's Peanut Store [en.wikipedia.org]
South of the Border (fireworks!) [en.wikipedia.org])
(before I-95, SotB had signs on US 301 from Va. south)
Stuckey's [en.wikipedia.org]
Parker's Barbecue US 301, Wilson NC (The Original)

and a sign...

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Don C
Date: May 27, 2021 01:49PM
I bought a book that listed all of the Burma Shave poems. Some were quite fun.

I still quote (way too often), "Around the curve, lickety split, beautiful car, wasn't it?"
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 28, 2021 05:38AM
Near me are a bunch of old Florida tourist attractions from the pre-Disney onslaught

Rainbow Springs, Homosassa Springs, Weeki Wachee [home of the mermaids]. All are state parks now. Then the grand daddy of them is Silver Springs, which is still open as a park offering glass bottom boat tours.

Even some kitchy stuff as you drive by

Dinosaur garage

odd statues

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 379
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020