advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for headset recommendations
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 27, 2021 12:39PM
Yeah, here I am, looking for advice for something that probably doesn't exist.

I need a new headset. I had a Plantronics gaming one from 10+ years ago, but the plastic became brittle and started cracking. It finally gave out. Now I basically want the same thing, but wireless.

I'm looking for:
- Comfortable to wear 8-10hrs/day
- Great quality audio for music
- Microphone since I'll use it for zoom a ton
- Actually over ear. A lot of "over ear" wireless headphones are small and actually on ear. I don't want them to press on my ears at all, and my ears aren't that big.
- Cloth ear pads
- 12hr+ batter life, ideally ~20hrs+ so if I miss a night of charging they'll still work the next day.

Something like a Logitech G735 or G935 would probably be good, but the ratings I've found show the audio quality is not that good.

Currently I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.50's, but my issues with them are:
- They press on my ears
- The head band is narrow, and my head starts to hurt after wearing them for a few hours
- The ear pads are leather (or similar) and don't breath, so they get sticky

Bonus points if they don't look like a huge gaming headset, but I'll deal if that's all I can find. I don't really care about controls on the headset. I use the keyboard volume controls.

TIA

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for headset recommendations
Posted by: Bixby
Date: May 27, 2021 01:34PM
No direct experience, but I'd be looking at offerings from Sony, Bose, B&W and Apple.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 27, 2021 02:05PM
You are looking for Soundcore Life Q35's.....
"Breathable" leather, over comfy memory foam, so may work. Worth giving it a try. Not sure about cloth earcup availability, if any.
Good luck.
==
Posted by: Pam
Date: May 27, 2021 02:20PM
Several of my teammates have these. And anytime anyone tries them, they buy them. No one else can hear what you are hearing. Plus you can hear ambient sound.

[smile.amazon.com]
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 27, 2021 02:54PM
Buzz
You are looking for Soundcore Life Q35's.....
"Breathable" leather, over comfy memory foam, so may work. Worth giving it a try. Not sure about cloth earcup availability, if any.
Good luck.
==

Interesting. They look a little small, but I'll track down some dimensions. The ear cup contact area is a little narrow, so that might help it breath. These will be stuck to the side of my head for ~8hrs a day, and that's how my current headphones are. They get a little wet and oily.

Pam
Several of my teammates have these. And anytime anyone tries them, they buy them. No one else can hear what you are hearing. Plus you can hear ambient sound.

[smile.amazon.com]

I have a set of those for working out and biking. I'm really looking for something that has better audio quality, especially for music.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 27, 2021 05:08PM
"Interesting. They look a little small, but I'll track down some dimensions. The ear cup contact area is a little narrow, so that might help it breath. These will be stuck to the side of my head for ~8hrs a day, and that's how my current headphones are. They get a little wet and oily."

I have a massive head, and a robust set of ears (which since they're laid naturally close to the mega melon, still fairly easily fit in the ear cups; IOW, it takes a little jiggle to seat them properly when putting them on). Admittedly, I've never pulled a full 8 hr stretch w/ 'em on, probably ~3 hrs max. I do flex the headband a few times before/between sessions..... and I was a role model for Kotter's class's nickname; not sure I could imagine a full 8 hrs w/ any headphones and not have some sort of residue to show for it, regardless of ear cup composition.

You can tweak the EQ settings for sonic perfection, w/ or w/o ANC on, so sound quality isn't an issue. I would think its smaller size would be eligible for "Bonus points if they don't look like a huge gaming headset....". A lot of cluck for the buck. There's a bit more ear clearance in the Q35's, vs./than in the predecessor Q30's, plus the mics are better, which for Zoomin' make's it the obvious choice. For mostly watching stuff w/ a normal sized head, equipped w/ normal sized ears, the Q30 is probably adequate. FWIW, in a prior life, I had cotton booties made for headphones (in the eternal quest for comfort), but other than when sleeping, still never went more than ~3 hrs.
==
Posted by: Bernie
Date: May 27, 2021 06:39PM
Plantronics 995 USB Ordered on June 22, 2012

Mine Snapped about a year ago and I have been shopping ever since. Thought I might replace them for Christmas but...didn't happen. Birthday in February .... didn't happen. They hit a low price point the other day and I said Father's Day!

Sitting in the box next to my desk..Trying to wait until at least June before I break them out so I really can't review them yet.

Corsair Virtuoso 7.1

They so remind me of some Pioneers that I had in my youth. Corded of course.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: May 28, 2021 05:28AM
Take a look at the Wyze headphones - for less than $70, they are a steal. My wife got a pair and loves them.

The sound quality is extremely good, build is better than expected. Noise cancellation is excellent. Alexa/Google/Siri incorporated but not required. Fully adjustable EQ through the app. You take them off and the music pauses automatically. Twenty-hour battery life and a 10-minute charge will give you four hours. etc

No boom mic, but the built-in mic does better than any I've tried before.

[wyze.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 134
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020