advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Getting A/C and spray foam insulation for the house! Any tips/pointers?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 27, 2021 08:06PM
I've got a lead on a couple of good contractors for both, so that's looking good.

What I'm wondering about are any things like "always install a dehumidifier" or "use this calculation in sizing the capacity, or anything like that.

For the foam insulation, it's a retrofit on an insulation free 1918foursquare, with plaster walls. I'm thinking closed cell, for the higher R value. Also, I'm wavering between polyurethane and one of the bio-foams, like icycene.

Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 10:38PM by anonymouse1.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Getting A/C and spray foam insulation for the house! Any tips/pointers
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 27, 2021 08:58PM
anonymouse1
For the foam insulation, it's a retrofit on an insulation free 1918foursquare, with plaster walls. I'm thinking closed cell, for the higher R value. Also, I'm wavering between polyurethane and one of the bio-foams, like icycene.

Let me know how it goes. I'm in the market for some of that in the near future.

Re: Getting A/C and spray foam insulation for the house! Any tips/pointers?
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: May 28, 2021 06:34AM
I've done closed cell in my RV barn and open cell in my home. While closed cell has a higher R value it's generally not a good idea to use it in places where there could be water leaks, such as in the roof if the roofing might fail. The reason is the water can't drain thru it so it will pool and rot out the wood rafters and such.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 28, 2021 09:14AM
Are you removing any plaster, or injecting into the cavity through holes? My house also has no insulation in the walls, so I am curious.

I would be sure to run any new wires now.
Date: May 28, 2021 09:44AM
Drilling holes.

Interesting point about running wires....

mikebw
Are you removing any plaster, or injecting into the cavity through holes? My house also has no insulation in the walls, so I am curious.

I would be sure to run any new wires now.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 28, 2021 12:04PM
You shouldn't need a dehumidifier if they install the correct size AC unit, that is your dehumidifier. If they install too large a unit it won't run long enough to dehumidify your home and you will be uncomfortable, my Father owned an HVAC company for about 35 years.

Grateful11
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 28, 2021 01:52PM
anonymouse1
Drilling holes.

I know someone else in my neighborhood who paid a contractor to do spray in through holes, and they had a source for circles (maybe just of drywall) that could be used to patch the holes relatively quickly.

Do your contractors have a process for finishing the walls after they are done?
Date: May 28, 2021 03:47PM
Some do, at a higher price. Others leave the holes, at a lower price.

mikebw
anonymouse1
Drilling holes.

I know someone else in my neighborhood who paid a contractor to do spray in through holes, and they had a source for circles (maybe just of drywall) that could be used to patch the holes relatively quickly.

Do your contractors have a process for finishing the walls after they are done?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 28, 2021 04:08PM
Grateful11
You shouldn't need a dehumidifier if they install the correct size AC unit, that is your dehumidifier. If they install too large a unit it won't run long enough to dehumidify your home and you will be uncomfortable, my Father owned an HVAC company for about 35 years.

So true. Sizing an AC unit is essential for cooling/dehumidifying the space properly.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Cary
Date: May 28, 2021 07:16PM
Sizing HVAC - you need to (or have someone else) do a heat loss / manual J calculation. There are online calculators available. It takes into account the building's construction, insulation, openings, population, sitting, climate, etc. It's not hard, but a little tedious.

Whatever you do, don't accept the "you need this size, based on my experience". That generally leads to oversizing.
Posted by: rexs
Date: May 29, 2021 05:43PM
We had foam installation installed in the mid 70's. I was unaffected by it, however my roommate definitely was. A couple of years later, he left and moved in with his girlfriend, the reactions disappeared. I don't know how common it was but there is more information here:

Formaldehyde insulation
Urea-formaldehyde foam insulation (UFFI): During the 1970s, UFFI insulation was very
popular, and many homeowners installed it to save energy. A substantial number of these homes
had high levels of formaldehyde in the indoor air soon after installation; however, these levels
decreased rapidly after the first few months and reached background levels a few years later.
Recently, another urea-formaldehyde (UF) spray foam product has been used for insulation. It is
technically classified as a UF material, but it is functionally different from UFFI. Previously,
UFFI materials were made of liquid resins with more formaldehyde to maintain their shelf lives,
which was directly responsible for the off-gassing issues associated with it. This recent UF spray
foam product’s liquid resin is produced by reacting controlled amounts of urea and formaldehyde
and then drying the liquid to remove any VOCs, including free formaldehyde. Therefore, less
formaldehyde would be expected to be released.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020