advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is the USGS still actively mapping US areas?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 28, 2021 08:28AM
All I see are old and older maps. Mr Downtown, do you know anything about this?

Hurts like a bastid...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is the USGS still actively mapping US areas?
Posted by: Pat
Date: May 28, 2021 08:58AM
The new maps are called US Topo, if topo maps are what you were talking about. Digital, created from GIS data.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 28, 2021 02:08PM
It's been several years since I heard anyone from USGS present on this, but they do have contractors constantly maintain and enhance the various geodatabases from which the products are created, and they're constantly taking in and verifying data from local governments. The primary finished mapping product is the online "slippy map" service, The National Map, and there are ways to print-on-demand sections of that.

I don't think USGS still offers their quadrangles of the dataset as printed products. I think private companies do, typically printing on Tyvek or similar for backcountry hikers and adventurers. Any quadrangle can be downloaded for free as a GeoPDF through AvenzaMaps. The advantage to those is that they can be put on phone or tablet so GPS will show "you are here."
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 28, 2021 02:33PM
Mr Downtown
It's been several years since I heard anyone from USGS present on this, but they do have contractors constantly maintain and enhance the various geodatabases from which the products are created, and they're constantly taking in and verifying data from local governments. The primary finished mapping product is the online "slippy map" service, The National Map, and there are ways to print-on-demand sections of that.

I don't think USGS still offers their quadrangles of the dataset as printed products. I think private companies do, typically printing on Tyvek or similar for backcountry hikers and adventurers. Any quadrangle can be downloaded for free as a GeoPDF through AvenzaMaps. The advantage to those is that they can be put on phone or tablet so GPS will show "you are here."

Beautiful. Thanks for that link. And the info. It's been years but I recall printing out maps from the USGS maybe 20+ years ago on our office large format printer. Or maybe it was a copier...

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: May 28, 2021 03:25PM
Looks like USGS will print you a topo for $9. Everything's accessed through the USGS Store.

Folks also package up OpenStreetMap data in ways familiar to hikers. See the tile services offered by Thunderforest.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 575
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020