advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What are Chevys made of?
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 28, 2021 05:06PM
coming out of the shopping plaza, at ~5-10 mph, between a car turning left and this drain cause this damage.

2014 Volt, just under 36k miles.

Not sure how much this will cost. What happens if you have comprehensive insurance and hit a telephone pole, are you covered? what if you hit a drain?

Roadside assistance from insurance company was a joke. After 2 hours waiting, nothing happened, called back, no one put thought the order. A new request was started. While on the phone with the outsourced service, they called back about the first order. Anyway, 5 hours after the incident, I was home and the car is not at the Chevy dealer.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What are Chevys made of?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 28, 2021 05:08PM
....drove the Chevy.....to the levee.....but the levee was dry......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 28, 2021 05:40PM
space-time
Not sure how much this will cost. What happens if you have comprehensive insurance and hit a telephone pole, are you covered? what if you hit a drain?

Bummer. Comprehensive is for theft, trees falling on the car while parked, etc. Collision is for when you hit things while driving. At least that's my understanding for California, could be different in different states.

Is there any body damage (i.e. painted panels)? If it's just trim and the wheel mount, hopefully it won't be that bad...
Date: May 28, 2021 05:41PM
oh year, sorry, I think I have liability, collision and comprehensive.
Date: May 28, 2021 05:43PM
yeah, the rear fender got slightly damaged while putting it on the tow truck. he had to leave the wheel there, brake lines were still attached. Otherwise he could have put the wheel in the trunk, LOL.

disclosure: she did it, and called me while at work on a 1:1 with my Boss, LOL again. first time I see the boss face to face since Feb 2020, before pandemic.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 28, 2021 05:50PM
It looks like a complete tear/failure of a structural member. It's a bit blurred when zoomed in on. I wonder if the city will accept any responsibility for not maintaining the storm drain.

Comprehensive also covers glass breakage while moving but something like this, not sure.

Grateful11
Date: May 28, 2021 05:54PM
here is a full resolution crop from that image

Date: May 28, 2021 06:06PM
Also I should mention that the picture of the drain was AFTER the incident. It probably got dislocated during the incident. I don't know how much it was pulled out before the incident.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 28, 2021 06:25PM
That drain top looks like heavy, solid metal and it was backed by concrete. It also looks like it sticks up above the concrete curb and it may very well (read: almost certainly) have been sticking out into the lane a little bit.

The lower clearance of many modern cars means that you probably cought a piece of your car's suspension on that solid metal edge.

Think of the direction of the forces: your car is traveling ahead in a mild curve and its force contacts the metal slug there linearly, in the slug's *strongest* position to resist your car: lengthwise, backed by more concrete behind it and earth to its side away from your car. Very little to no freedom of movement and a very thick piece of metal.

Your car, on the other hand, has free movement and some decent speed, and (1) is held together by thinner pieces of metal than that slug, and (2) likely doesn't have it's highest direction of strength along the same vector you contacted the metal slug at. Your car is heavy and keeps going but not that (now) completely stopped piece of your suspension.

Metal slug wins that competition easily and rips that suspension bit off. And the damn slug shouldn't be there in the first place for this exact reason.
Posted by: August West
Date: May 28, 2021 06:40PM
Man, so sorry s-t; that looks like a nasty surprise. Collision should cover you, the insurance company should look to collect from public works.

Apologies to the anonymous forum member affected by my previous sig pic. It was my personal pic of a country expressing great grief as their leader, one of the most recognized people in the world, lay on his deathbed 8 years ago, days before he died. Like a naif, I did not realize it was offensively political, I considered it an expression of deep emotion and a reminder of the mortal coil's nature; that we all, great and small, can only hope to make a difference in our short time here, no matter the personal cost.

I'll post another pic from my work in South Africa that is, hopefully, apolitical.

Posted by: raz
Date: May 28, 2021 06:51PM
It wouldn’t surprise me if they total the car.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 28, 2021 06:54PM
Wow, bummer space-time.
That is definitely not a JB Weld fix it.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: Cary
Date: May 28, 2021 06:55PM
That's collision coverage, for sure, not comprehensive.

Will have to source a replacement (used) rear axle/suspension corner. Really surprised - they left the wheel assembly on the side of the road?

Damage from the angle of the photos doesn't look bad - do you have any pics looking from front to back under the wheel well.

Lastly, good no one got hurt.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: May 28, 2021 06:55PM
raz

that was my first thought. Volts seem to be quickly totaled.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: May 28, 2021 07:09PM
I doubt that the city or public works will take any responsibility for someone hitting a curb, especially if you have no proof there was an unavoidable hazard. More than likely they will go after you or your insurance company for damages to the drain.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: May 28, 2021 07:13PM
Those drain covers are a solid chunk of metal. Completely immovable. All the give is going to be on the car end.

I'm surprised that the wheel didn't hop over the cover. I wonder if it bit into the tire and then got wedged in. That is the type of damage you would see if you wrapped a chain around the wheel and pulled on it with a truck.

[www.youtube.com]

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 28, 2021 07:17PM
Honestly, that damage will make me reconsider getting a Volt! That is structural damage, obviously, and not something that should have happened from hitting that. A blown tire and maybe a damaged wheel, but not ripping out a piece of the rear subframe.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 28, 2021 07:26PM
.....what.....are little boys made of.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: May 28, 2021 08:07PM
mrbigstuff
Honestly, that damage will make me reconsider getting a Volt! That is structural damage, obviously, and not something that should have happened from hitting that. A blown tire and maybe a damaged wheel, but not ripping out a piece of the rear subframe.

quirky, freak accident. Many a Volt owner involved in an accident swears to the life saving attributes of the tank-like Volt. The Volt is often totaled but the occupants walk away.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2021 08:08PM by graylocks.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 28, 2021 08:35PM
Sorry that happened man. It looks terrible. Glad it wasn't even worse. It looks totalled to me.
Date: May 28, 2021 08:48PM
vision63
Sorry that happened man. It looks terrible. Glad it wasn't even worse. It looks totalled to me.

It looks totalled but it won't be. That is actually a pretty easy repair despite the damage. The part that is broken is the rear subframe. That is a bolt in unit and can be swapped out. It is $800 for brand new, but you can easily find one for $200 for a used.
[www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com]

The shock is $45 new. The spring and isolator can be reused as they just sit in their spot and have no attachment. I can't figure out what the plastic shield pieces are but they can't be more than a couple hundred bucks and around the same for prebent factory brake lines. You could bend your own for under $20.

I bet you could fix it yourself for under $1200 and it will be around $3500 for a shop.

C(-)ris

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2021 08:52PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 28, 2021 08:53PM
Yikes!
I think Vision63 is probably right. Good chance that's totalled.
At least, if the dealership does the repairs it is. An independent shop with access to a Volt with the front end totalled could probably fix it.

I'm not sure what the insurance will say. My insurance would probably say "if it hit you, we cover it, if you hit IT, we don't" based on my experience 20 some years ago with a head sized rock unexpectedly appearing out from under the (taller) vehicle in front of me and doing a surprising amount of damage to the front frame of my Pontiac Bonneville. When I described what had happened, the adjuster asked "Was the rock moving when you hit it?" and I picked up just a bit TOO much interest in her voice when she asked that, so I said "yes, it was moving when I went over it". They covered it under comprehensive.

The dealer called it totalled (OK, the insurance co called it totalled after the dealer gave them the quote), but an independant shop gave a quote of less than half that, and it squeeked by (another $100-200 and it would have been totalled). I drove that car almost another 80,000 miles after that.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: May 28, 2021 08:57PM
C(-)ris
vision63

It looks totalled but it won't be. That is actually a pretty easy repair despite the damage. The part that is broken is the rear subframe. That is a bolt in unit and can be swapped out. It is $800 for brand new, but you can easily find one for $200 for a used.

The shock is $45 new. The spring and isolator can be reused as they just sit in their spot and have no attachment. I can't figure out what the plastic shield pieces are but they can't be more than a couple hundred bucks and around the same for prebent factory brake lines. You could bend your own for under $20.

I bet you could fix it yourself for under $1200 and it will be around $3500 for a shop.

wow, good detective work! You give me hope.

worst time to shop for a car now with this chip shortage.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 28, 2021 09:05PM
C(-)ris

You know too much - sounds like you've been through this before!

Date: May 28, 2021 09:09PM

LOL, I was wondering the same thing. Either he's been through this before or he really put in some effort, for which I am very grateful!!!
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 28, 2021 09:28PM
I have nothing useful to add. I just had to say wow, what a spectacular crapshow that damage is!

Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 28, 2021 10:05PM
I can see how hitting a cast iron block would tear random pieces off like that. Get the estimate first. When the shop asks you if you’ll be making a claim just say you haven’t decided.

They’ll give you two quotes maybe. You can ask your insurance what the long term cost will be if you make the claim and compare that to out-of-pocket.
Date: May 28, 2021 10:13PM
space-time

LOL, I was wondering the same thing. Either he's been through this before or he really put in some effort, for which I am very grateful!!!

My hobby is buying and repairing cars. I've done over 30. You get really good at figuring out what it will cost to fix things looking at pictures, at least if you want to make any money. It didn't take much to find that info. I'll give you $500 for that totalled Volt tongue sticking out smiley

This looks like it would be a lot less, but was around $8000 to repair.

C(-)ris

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2021 10:17PM by C(-)ris.
Date: May 28, 2021 10:14PM
deckeda
I can see how hitting a cast iron block would tear random pieces off like that. Get the estimate first. When the shop asks you if you’ll be making a claim just say you haven’t decided.

They’ll give you two quotes maybe. You can ask your insurance what the long term cost will be if you make the claim and compare that to out-of-pocket.

Hard to get estimates when you have to have it towed all over the place.

C(-)ris
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 29, 2021 12:09AM
No! Not the Volt!?!?

To be fair, that solid lump of cast iron bookended with concrete is going to win. No matter what vehicle you’re in. But still, that must have been an interesting experience.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: May 29, 2021 02:34AM

I bet they do.

That said, maybe they won't, just to prove me wrong.

And, I bet it would cost a lot more that $500 to buy the Volt back from the insurance company as a salvage vehicle.

I hope I'm wrong on the first count, so that there isn't a second.

Seriously.

The Volt is too great a car to go out like that.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 29, 2021 07:16AM
Tough go for your wife. Don’t let her forget it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 29, 2021 08:32AM
I'm still not seeing how hitting an object with the tire (presumably, given the location of that chunk) should tear off the subframe. Now, if it was wedged under the car and hit at some speed, that I could see. Otherwise, it does not give me confidence in the structural integrity (if it only with the tire).
Posted by: srf1957
Date: May 29, 2021 08:40AM
A guy I went to school with mom hit the curb going into gas station mini store . It tore the wheel off her Honda the same way .
Date: May 29, 2021 08:49AM
I should have dash cam video, let me see if I can find it. Of course, it only shows the front view, but we should get an idea how fast she was driving and maybe some sounds.
Posted by: raz
Date: May 29, 2021 09:46AM
space-time
I should have dash cam video, let me see if I can find it. Of course, it only shows the front view, but we should get an idea how fast she was driving and maybe some sounds.

You might want to mute any sounds that came from your wife.

Just sayin'

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: May 29, 2021 10:27AM
Please do not share the link. Thanks

[www.youtube.com]

Not that the drain was already displaced, (dislodged?) before she hit it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2021 10:28AM by space-time.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: May 29, 2021 10:35AM
Jeez! She was barely moving! smiley-shocked003

It doesn't seem like so much damage could be caused by such a minor incident.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 29, 2021 10:43AM
Rick-o
Jeez! She was barely moving! smiley-shocked003

It doesn't seem like so much damage could be caused by such a minor incident.

Yeah. My first thought as I watched was that the white car should have been further to the left.
Date: May 29, 2021 10:55AM
Seems pretty clear to me that that drain curb piece was jutted out BEFORE she hit it. the Volt may have dislodged it even more but it was far from flush to start.

Posted by: Acer
Date: May 29, 2021 12:33PM
My rear tire has kissed the curb on a tight turn more than a few times over the years. Lucky for me no giant block of steel has been sticking out eight inches into the roadway yet. There but for the grace of God goes any driver on this board. That is a hazard in a very unexpected spot and should be fixed ASAP.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 29, 2021 01:11PM
I think you have a case against the local road dept.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: May 29, 2021 01:23PM
ztirffritz
I think you have a case against the local road dept.

In most areas what would only apply if the hazzard had already been reported and a reasonable time to repair it had already been passed. They can't fix what they don't know about.

C(-)ris
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 29, 2021 06:15PM
Yeah that's a complete tear/fracture of the rear axle. I'm trying to figure out why it did that kinda damage no faster than she was going, I watched the video. I'd say a complete rear axle replacement plus numerous other items, no one is going to be willing to weld that back together. Would not be surprised if the insurance company doesn't total it. It really sucks that no one reported that to the city or at minimum kicked back into place, most likely a big chunk of cast iron.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2021 07:06PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 29, 2021 10:49PM
ztirffritz
No! Not the Volt!?!?

To be fair, that solid lump of cast iron bookended with concrete is going to win. No matter what vehicle you’re in. But still, that must have been an interesting experience.

Some vehicles would have rolled right over it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 30, 2021 07:29AM
s-t, while I understand your 'pain' let me play devil's advocate...

You may not want to show that video to your insurance co.:
  1. Shows your car running that first parking lot stop sign.
  2. Car in the left exit is within it's lane.
  3. Shows the first car making a proper, right turn with no issues.
btw, The drain in question may not be the government's responsibility.
The curb drain may actually be the shopping center's responsibility
and if it hadn't been reported as needing repair they could argue
it was fine beforehand.

This may be a case where you let an attorney deal with your insurance co.
(hate saying that but sometimes it's necessary)

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2021 07:32AM by MrNoBody.
Date: May 30, 2021 07:40AM
Financial aspect aside (It happens that I can afford another car at the moment), it sucks to be shopping for a car these days.

I am going to wait and see what the repair cost is and then see fi the insurance wants to cover part of it or not. No plans to lawyer up. No plans to make claims agains the city or shopping plaza.

And yes, I'll take the video down.

Thanks all.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: May 30, 2021 09:52AM
That looks like a solid block of iron, backed by concrete. Volt would not have moved it. An F150 MIGHT have survived with a destroyed tire or rim, only because it rides higher.

My friends wife ran over a football sized rock once. Did nearly the same damage!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: May 30, 2021 06:01PM
space-time
Financial aspect aside (It happens that I can afford another car at the moment), it sucks to be shopping for a car these days.

I am going to wait and see what the repair cost is and then see fi the insurance wants to cover part of it or not. No plans to lawyer up. No plans to make claims agains the city or shopping plaza.

And yes, I'll take the video down.

Thanks all.

Your insurance will cover all of it, after your deductible. That is absolutely a coverable accident. Don't even hint or let them convince you otherwise. It will be collision because the car was being driven. It will be an at fault accident if you state allows the assignment of blame. Report back with the estimate, just an FYI, the dealership bodyshop will be the most expensive quote you should see. They also are probably not the best as they are used to dealing with rust through and other warranty body work. So they are used to rushing through as cheaply as possible and they likely offer a minimal warranty on the work. I would see if you can find a high rated independent body shop to come inspect it. You may be able to pay them a hundred bucks or so to come out to the dealership since the car isn't mobile. If they are slow, they might do it for free.

C(-)ris
Date: May 30, 2021 08:22PM
I doubt they are "slow" (I assume you mean not busy). Used cars are in high demand now and I would think body shops are busy fixing cars ASAP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020