Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need to get additional SSD for son’s gaming PC, but confused
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: May 29, 2021 01:42PM
Hi my younger son has a PowerSpec G501 gaming PC from Microcenter

He’s running out of space on the internal 500GB SSD, so we want to buy another to add into the PC (rather than replace the original)

So I’m kind of confused about what we need to buy and how to install it

It looks like it has a 500 GB WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD M.2 2280

Do I just need to find an SSD that has those same specs?

And, if so, how does one install it into one of the PC’s slots? Would the SSD come with whatever is needed (a caddy, etc.) and, if not, what else do I need to order?

Thanks in advance!

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]
Subscribe here: [www.getrevue.co]

The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need to get additional SSD for son’s gaming PC, but confused
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 29, 2021 01:53PM
1) as long as there's a free SATA cable and Power cable, SSDs are so light that you can just let it sit in the case. One of my PCs is set up this way

2) as long as there's a free SATA cable and Power cable, any SATA SSD will do. I recommend a 1TB WD Blue just 'cuz.

3) if he's done with some games, uninstall them. But 500GB is still pretty small if he likes to play a lot of different games. I uh, have 22 on my gaming PC right now. On a 2TB WD Blue SSD.

No I don't have a problem. Maybe.

4) Many PC cases have a nice spot to mount SSDs as they don't take a lot of space. Have a look around in the case, many times they're on the *back* of the case, so take off the opposite panel of the regular one, if that's possible. You many need screws but then twist ties work great and are toolless!
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 29, 2021 01:53PM
“ Expansion Capabilities
Two PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slots
Four PCI Express 3.0 x1 Slots
Two M.2 (Socket 3) slots
Note:
M2_1 Supports PCIe drives. If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled
M2_2 Supports SATA drives. M2_2, SATA3_3 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled”

[www.powerspec.com]
Date: May 29, 2021 02:12PM
Thanks for those replies

HIs is in the state in which we bought it, nothing else has been added in the interim, so I'm guessing he still has one M.2 slot available?

Sorry if this is all elementary to you guys, but I'm just having difficulty wrapping my head around all this terminology, having lived in the Mac world for so long in which I connected any peripherals externally
Date: May 29, 2021 02:18PM
Sounds like an m.2 slot is available but you should open the case and make sure which one it is. There are both m.2 PCIe (NVMe) WD Blue drives and m.2 SATA WD Blue drives available. I have both and they are good value drives. The only mounting hardware you’ll need is the little screw to attach the drive. Hopefully that’s already on the mobo.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 30, 2021 12:15PM
Sorry, late to the thread. Powerspec says they used an ASRock B450 Pro 4 motherboard.

It will take a M-Key SSD. It will not work at top speed but it should be be faster than a 2.5" format SATA SSD.

If you can get a BIOS update installed, it will supposedly take a 5000 series AMD CPU upgrade, though it will not run the fastest RAM timings that a new motherboard could.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 31, 2021 09:01AM
Thanks for the additional info
Date: May 31, 2021 01:43PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Sorry, late to the thread. Powerspec says they used an ASRock B450 Pro 4 motherboard.

It will take a M-Key SSD. It will not work at top speed but it should be be faster than a 2.5" format SATA SSD.

If you can get a BIOS update installed, it will supposedly take a 5000 series AMD CPU upgrade, though it will not run the fastest RAM timings that a new motherboard could.

LOL, that's the Mobo in my current AMD-only gaming build.

Um, IMO ASRock's AMD motherboards are crap. I really don't like mine, though I have the B360 version of the same name for my Intel/Nvidia build and that Intel version is fine.

Stupid ASRock.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 130
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020