advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RANT: oil change Bozos (long)
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 29, 2021 07:19PM
When will I ever learn? I keep telling myself I'm only going to have actual repair shops do our oil changes. I mean how @#$%% hard can an oil change be? Twice in the last year, at a local chain and also at Oilcan Henry's, they've botched something. I would have gone to our trusted shop, but on short notice, we decided to take a trip this weekend, and the car was overdue. So, at Oilcan Henry's, when checking the air filter, they guy dropped his socket, extension, and a bolt down onto the engine. It took ten minutes to even find them and another ten to retrieve them. I was sitting in the car the whole time and could see what had happened, but there was no acknowledgement of the problem until I asked. While Boza 1 and 2 were trying to retrieve the dropped items, Bozo 3 was trying to convince me to just leave it, it was normal and would probably just fall out onto the road. Gahh! But I waited patiently until they got the dropped bits back, and put the air cleaner back together. The "quick" oil change took almost 45 minutes. No apology, no offer of a discount on the $75 ripoff. On my way out, I said I won't be back. The lead guy said, "That's good." Sheesh.

The other one, at a local chain, resulted in stripped bolt holes and a missing bolt for the engine cover, which I don't see much point in, but still.

/rant

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RANT: oil change Bozos (long)
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: May 29, 2021 08:02PM
Indeed.

I also spent this morning getting the oil in my vehicle changed... at my regular mechanic's shop. Did a great job, as always. While I was there, I spoke with a woman who was in because her car was making "strange noises" and had "strange smells" after a recent oil change at Jiffy Lube. Turns out the JL mechanic had neglected to replace her oil refill cap and oil had been spraying all over beneath the hood. The weird thing of it was my mechanic is also her regular mechanic - I never did find out what possessed her to get the oil change done at JL instead of at her mechanic.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: May 29, 2021 08:02PM
I started to drive away after an oil change at a popular chain and heard some weird noise under the car, looked under the car and found that the guy had cut away a chunk of the oil shield as a shortcut, didn't bother to cut the whole section off so a big flap was just hanging there.

The owner was properly embarrassed, paid for the replacement.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: May 29, 2021 08:29PM
I can change the oil and filter on my vw golf without getting under the car. Takes me less time than it would go to a quickie place but I know the job is done right.

Date: May 29, 2021 08:41PM
mattkime
I can change the oil and filter on my vw golf without getting under the car. Takes me less time than it would go to a quickie place but I know the job is done right.

If that were the case for me, I'd (still) do my own too. As it is, I bring my own oil and filter - he just charges me labor ($25).

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2021 08:41PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: May 29, 2021 08:52PM
I was using a local shop for oil changes/repairs for almost 20 years. They've never tried to upsell me or rip me off in all that time. However, during the last year and a half, they've been extremely busy and sometimes there is a three or four hour wait for even an oil change (and that's even before your car gets on the lift). Sometimes they can't even get to it until the next day. Also their prices have gone up dramatically.
I found a relatively new shop right around the corner with more bays and more mechanics. When I go in for an oil change, I wait no more than twenty minutes and it's finished. Also, I recently got a quote for a two axle brake job, pads and rotors, for around $475 and my old place quoted me $900.
My loyalty has definitely changed after that one.

richorlin
Check out DRAWINGMYLIFE.COM
“Hand-crafted humor since 1947”
More laughs than a barrel of dead monkeys
Posted by: lost in space
Date: May 29, 2021 08:59PM
richorlin
I was using a local shop for oil changes/repairs for almost 20 years. They've never tried to upsell me or rip me off in all that time. However, during the last year and a half, they've been extremely busy and sometimes there is a three or four hour wait for even an oil change (and that's even before your car gets on the lift). Sometimes they can't even get to it until the next day. Also their prices have gone up dramatically.
I found a relatively new shop right around the corner with more bays and more mechanics. When I go in for an oil change, I wait no more than twenty minutes and it's finished. Also, I recently got a quote for a two axle brake job, pads and rotors, for around $475 and my old place quoted me $900.
My loyalty has definitely changed after that one.

New owners? Or upping their game for a second shop? A shop here was like yours, upping prices and busier. Turns out they had started advertising heavily to help get their added shop off the ground.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: May 29, 2021 09:26PM
Our highly regarded oil change/car wash place has an excellent BBQ joint on the corner of its block.... so a leisurely, very yummy meal makes oil changes downright painless. Other car repair/maintenance at other shops; well, that's where pain comes in. I'm sorely tempted to start looking at out of the area shops, where it's hopefully less crowded, and free of all the BS the local shops spew. All above rants sound warranted.
==
Date: May 29, 2021 09:29PM
Buzz
Our highly regarded oil change/car wash place has an excellent BBQ joint on the corner of its block.... so a leisurely, very yummy meal makes oil changes downright painless. Other car repair/maintenance at other shops; well, that's where pain comes in. I'm sorely tempted to start looking at out of the area shops, where it's hopefully less crowded, and free of all the BS the local shops spew. All above rants sound warranted.
==

Where's this at? You're still in SoCal, right?

It is what it is.
Date: May 29, 2021 09:52PM
Handy J's & Outdoor Grill. Where Washington Place merges into Washington Blvd. in Culver City.

==
Date: May 29, 2021 10:40PM
Not too far from me — I may have to check it out!

P.S. This is my guy, in case you’re interested. Don’t let the Lexus identity scared you off — they work on all makes and are reasonably priced:

[lexologyautocare.com]

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2021 10:44PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 29, 2021 11:24PM
I'll never forget my grandfather telling me that he always watched the oil change guys. One time they told him it was ready to go, to which he asked when they were going to add the oil.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: May 30, 2021 12:22AM
I've had three fairly minor incidents (that could have turned major) using Walmart. What should the protocol be to check things before leaving the property or at least before driving? Is checking the dipstick good enough? Making sure the cap is replaced? Looking for tools left under the hood? That happened to me. How can you be assured they used premium oil rather than Acme brand from a big drum? See if the filter matches what you ordered? What else?

Edit: I try not to get an oil change immediately before going on a trip; even a short trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2021 12:24AM by Dennis S.
Date: May 30, 2021 03:23AM
N-OS X-tasy!
Don’t let the Lexus identity scared you off — they work on all makes and are reasonably priced:

[lexologyautocare.com]

Thanks, I'll have to check 'em out.... not to worry about the Lexus identity, as we've owned several since summer 1989, or since within about 90 days of when Lexus was intro'ed to the US market. Have always had at least one in the stable ever since, and several times two during the overlaps. All have been (and current one is) pearl white with tan leather interior, whereas our minivans have all been goldish tan/light brown metallic/pearl, also with tan leather interior. Our travellin' SUV (2012 Acura MDX) is, well, pearl white w/ tan leather interior. Not that we're stuck in a rut with our Japanese pseudo-luxo cars.., but IIABDFWI.

Our schlepper van is ripe for some brakes and suspension aid at 145K miles.... been nursing it thru the pandemic, so getting ready to try to find new talent to work on it. Our old, old good guy blew out of town to San Berdoo during the 2008/09 financial crunch, and the other old good guy that we used after that for several years, died, and his kid and nephew ran the shop into the toilet afterwards. Looking for car love ever since, and every place we've tried has been lacking in some fashion, hence the frustration.
==
Date: May 30, 2021 04:51AM
Dennis S
I've had three fairly minor incidents (that could have turned major) using Walmart. What should the protocol be to check things before leaving the property or at least before driving? Is checking the dipstick good enough? Making sure the cap is replaced? Looking for tools left under the hood? That happened to me. How can you be assured they used premium oil rather than Acme brand from a big drum? See if the filter matches what you ordered? What else?

Edit: I try not to get an oil change immediately before going on a trip; even a short trip.

Well, you can't be too careful and you don't really know exactly what they did or didn't do unless you watch them the entire time, which usually isn't feasible -- which goes to show how important it is to have someone you trust perform this work. Checking the oil level and the general under-the-hood condition before leaving the premises should be done at a minimum.

One day a couple of years back I went to lunch with one of the young guys in my group at work. As luck would have it, we decided he would drive. Usually another one of us drives because it's difficult to fit more than two comfortably into his Jeep, but that day it was just the two of us so it worked out.

Within a block of leaving the office, we made a right turn. As we did, he made an offhand comment about how one of his dash lights had only recently started to come on for a brief moment whenever he turned. I asked him which light and he pointed to the oil pressure light. I told him that's usually an indication that the engine's oil level is low, to which he replied that couldn't be the reason because he'd just had the car in for an oil change at the local dealership. Nevertheless, when we reached our destination a few blocks away I insisted he check the oil level before we went inside to eat, even though he was absolutely certain that couldn't be the problem.

The dipstick was BONE DRY. Not a drop of oil on it. That made a believer of him.

After lunch, we took the Jeep to the dealership that had "performed" the oil change. It was on our way back to the office, so we didn't need to drive the car very far. After waiting longer than we should have had to, I spoke with the service manager to explain what we had found. He was very polite, but I could see in his demeanor that he didn't believe me and that I must be another one of those pain-in-the-ass customers who thinks he knows more about how to do his job than he does.

So I invited him to check the oil level.

A few moments later he was singing an entirely different tune. He couldn't apologize enough and had a technician take the car to be worked on immediately. When the work had been completed, he checked the oil level himself and then checked it again to show us it was at the proper level.

You can damn well bet that before we left I took the opportunity to point out that, but for a bit of luck and observation on my part, his dealership would have been on the hook for the cost to replace the engine after its imminent failure and reminded him to do a better job of listening to his customers.

It is what it is.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: May 30, 2021 07:08AM
I drive my VW 15-min. to a little shop owned by a former Porsche tech
and his partner, a former Audi tech (older dudes).
They have the correct filter and drain plugs, not asian substitutes &
the correct VW504.00 oil; plus the proper scanner/software for the car.
Fair price, prompt service, & free (good) coffee.

Personally, I wouldn't take a vehicle to one of the 'franchise' joints.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: May 30, 2021 03:47PM
So much simpler/quicker to do it yourself !
I do both vehicles at same time - 20 minutes, oil & filter.
Posted by: wurm
Date: May 30, 2021 04:23PM
nwyaker

And you know it's been done right.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: May 30, 2021 04:56PM
wurm
nwyaker

And you know it's been done right.

exactly !
Posted by: Acer
Date: May 30, 2021 09:03PM
I hate dealing with used oil.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 188
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020