advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How NOT to move a cast iron wood stove
Posted by: deckeda
Date: May 30, 2021 12:25PM
At least, not yet. But I'm working on it. I need to re-do this because I don't want the dolly to break and have the stove fall on me or bust the stove or the already-massively-failing concrete floor that's older than I am.

The furniture dolly is $15 at Walmart. You can easily spend more but you won't necessarily get more than the 1000 lbs it's rated for (or, advertised for).

The 4 pieces of 2x6 were cut to size to gain me some height and to help distribute the weight. I used a rolling floor jack on one side and a car's scissor jack on the other end.

It's pretty obvious that the intention is only to put the weight on top of the wheels, not on the thin connecting pieces of wood!

Still, it moved the stove the whopping 3ft needed to access the wall behind it. The stove weighs over 500lbs, although I could have removed the top and maybe the front door to save a few pounds.

I'm off to cut more lumber to place lengthwise so that more of the weight is over the wheels and not the connecting pieces as it is now. That will present a new issue, as the new pieces of 2X6 will have to carry more of the load since the end caps of this dolly are higher than the middle part.

The better long-term mod for odd pieces like the stove is to buy two additional wheels and install them in the middle, with a corresponding cross brace on top.

ProTip: If you buy this "Hyper Tough" dolly from Walmart you MUST tighten every nut that attaches the wheels. Some of mine were so loose I'm surprised they hadn't fallen off before getting it home.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2021 12:26PM by deckeda.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How NOT to move a cast iron wood stove
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: May 30, 2021 12:34PM
Yeah I'd say the load needs to be over the casters and not in between for a 1000# capacity.

Grateful11
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 30, 2021 01:02PM
The 2x6's should have been 90 degrees so that they bridged the carpeted surfaces.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: May 30, 2021 01:10PM
Filliam H. Muffman
The 2x6's should have been 90 degrees so that they bridged the carpeted surfaces.

Yep, as described above that’s what I’m about to do. Waiting on a helper to steady the stove while it’s supported on the two jacks. Damn near wanted to fall off them when I was doing it alone.
Date: May 30, 2021 02:29PM
all good now

The only annoyance was that I couldn't reposition the dolly perfectly under the midsection because the scissor jack grows wider as it lifts up due to the adjuster rod. So two of the wheels have a little more weight on them but overall its still fine.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 30, 2021 03:36PM
While it’s up in the air, put locking steel castors on all four corners.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: May 30, 2021 04:06PM
You should put 2 pieces of 4x4 length-wise on the dolly and solve both problems. 3 pcs if it would make you feel better.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 30, 2021 07:53PM
.....the die has been.....cast.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 30, 2021 10:35PM
modelamac
You should put 2 pieces of 4x4 length-wise on the dolly and solve both problems. 3 pcs if it would make you feel better.

Have you checked the price of lumber lately?
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 31, 2021 08:46AM
deckeda
all good now

The only annoyance was that I couldn't reposition the dolly perfectly under the midsection because the scissor jack grows wider as it lifts up due to the adjuster rod. So two of the wheels have a little more weight on them but overall its still fine.

Did one of the legs fall off?
Date: May 31, 2021 08:35PM
That corner was supported by two cement bricks. One laying flat, the other on its long end. They’re the same size as normal red bricks, only solid and gray like any cement block.

I took that to mean that the original bolt that secures the leg either snapped off or was lost. Not a project I’m currently interested in pursuing as it’s not my stove and I have far too many other projects.

I discovered that the bolt heads for the legs take a 7/16” socket because earlier I figured I’d remove them. But with the low cost of the dolly and freely available wood it makes no sense to bother removing the legs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 406
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020