advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New Macs! (well, two freshly nuked-and-paved Macs)...
Posted by: sekker
Date: May 31, 2021 11:12AM
We are almost done with all of the software setups, we just went to Big Sur on our two main personal laptops. 'Snappy' despite still downloading some iCloud files, and that will tax the machine with constant indexing until that's done.

This moves all but one family member into the 64 bit world, our daughter visits this summer - will update her favorite Mac then. Why does that matter? iCloud family sharing etc is all Catalina or above. Yes, software considerations was far more important than hardware.

1) An iconic 2013 MBA, final hardware update (battery, keyboard, and now internal SSD). Lasts all day again. One of the best hardware purchases of all time, lasted 4+ years of college and still sees daily home use. A new M-series Mac will replace it, but maybe next year or so.

This was also a test - my daughter has a pre-USBC MBPR (the last with a mechanical trackpad), wanted to know whether her machine would handle Big Sur. Will be fine.

2) A 2018 13" MBPR 4xcore Intel. This machines was REALLY dragging running Mojave. Once I had solutions for almost all of my legacy 32 bit software (I kept a copy of the Mojave build as a bootable TB3 external drive), the last major part to moving forward was dealing with the mess that's Dropbox and some shared files. Moved everything down to under 2GB into iCloud, can now have a free Dropbox account for these random files. I like this Mac, but the battery life on the MBA is far better, honestly. Intel - you lost your way, and this machine compared to the 2013 machine shows it about as well as any.

I'm liking Big Sur control panel a lot. Remember you can drag a favorite control there to the menu bar! Nice.

Good job, Apple - I think Big Sur is a nice update over Catalina.

And - if you can do a nuke and pave on your Mac every once in awhile, it's worth it! Saves plenty of time down the road.

And this was the first time to use Home Brew for installs. That really helped get up and running in only a few hours.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2021 11:14AM by sekker.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020