Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Naomi Osaka withdraws from French Open after surprising threats from organizers
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: May 31, 2021 02:33PM
[www.espn.com]

I think she is courageous to be open about her mental health struggles. The Grand Slam organizers threatened her with fines and future disqualifications for refusing post match interviews, and she called their bluff. So one of the brightest and most inspiring stars in tennis is out of the tournament.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from French Open after surprising threats from organizers
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 31, 2021 02:47PM
I admire the stand that she’s taking.

I’ve never been a fan of interviewing a losing team/player immediately after the end of competition. It can be a really emotional time. Why not wait an hour or two and give them a little time to regain composure and digest the results.
Re: Naomi Osaka withdraws from French Open after surprising threats from organizers
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: May 31, 2021 04:08PM
Major props for Ms. Osaka. While Nadal and Barty are correct that speaking to reporters is part of the job, that simply is not something that everyone will be able to do to their own satisfaction.

If the tennis world wants to include a clearly talented tennis star like Ms. Osaka, then they should consider how to accommodate her. It will only serve to benefit both of them.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 31, 2021 04:10PM
If you want to piss them off, go and answer only with Yes, No, I don’t know.

I am curious how the organizers handle that.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 31, 2021 04:14PM
I hope a boycott by players and the TV audience will follow for the next few Grand Slam events.
What a bunch on wankrs.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: May 31, 2021 04:26PM
Unfortunately, like most sports, you sign a contractual agreement requiring you to speak to the press. It's part of the game. The media promotes the sport which helps the players make the big money. I understand her situation and I think she understands the organizers need to do what they are doing, which is why she chose to withdraw from the tournament. I'm not sure how much support regarding media interviews she will get from the players.
Date: May 31, 2021 04:29PM
There's the Marshawn Lynch approach. I dont think that behavior would suit her introverted personality.

Considering how some male players behave.. going back to John McEnroe... then you have a mature young woman breaking all kinds of barriers. It is a real shame, though she is certainly not the first woman of color to get this treatment in tennis
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: May 31, 2021 05:26PM
cyclemax
Unfortunately, like most sports, you sign a contractual agreement requiring you to speak to the press. It's part of the game. The media promotes the sport which helps the players make the big money. I understand her situation and I think she understands the organizers need to do what they are doing, which is why she chose to withdraw from the tournament. I'm not sure how much support regarding media interviews she will get from the players.

The tour membership that she contractually signed gives them the right to fine her. they provide promotion and sanctioning of events that give her an opportunity at making a livelihood. That all being said, it is unclear to me if she and the tour attempted to work this out I private or not. There may have been a medical exemption or similar condition she may have petitioned for. By simply announcing she would not do this appears to have forced the situation into the public realm. Perhaps there is something the players on the tour can negotiate and work out for future mental health considerations.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: vision63
Date: May 31, 2021 05:54PM
NBA and NFL players learned a long time ago that they can't want the level of money they demand and not give the providers of the money a certain level of access that they demand in response. See Marshawn Lynch "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

That said, her first obligation is to herself. She's just 23. Her mental state is the most important thing in her life. It's her "mind." She has to decide what is best for her and how she'll handle things moving forward.
Date: May 31, 2021 07:24PM
Naomi understands her contracts just fine. She turned pro 7 years ago, and in 2020 she was the highest paid female athlete in the world, making over $50M.

She is also one of the top 10 most marketable athletes in the world.

Mental health emergencies are just that, they can't be planned ahead of time. No different than other health emergencies.

We just are not used to people being open and transparent about them. The French Open/Grand Slam bosses messed up here but hopefully will make changes so this won't happen again.

They need Naomi more than she needs them.
Posted by: vision63
Date: May 31, 2021 08:29PM
Lemon Drop
Naomi understands her contracts just fine. She turned pro 7 years ago, and in 2020 she was the highest paid female athlete in the world, making over $50M.

She is also one of the top 10 most marketable athletes in the world.

Mental health emergencies are just that, they can't be planned ahead of time. No different than other health emergencies.

We just are not used to people being open and transparent about them. The French Open/Grand Slam bosses messed up here but hopefully will make changes so this won't happen again.

They need Naomi more than she needs them.

I don't think most athletes do fully understand their collective bargaining agreements. They wouldn't need agents if they did.
Posted by: Janit
Date: May 31, 2021 08:52PM
Lemon Drop
[www.espn.com]

I think she is courageous to be open about her mental health struggles. The Grand Slam organizers threatened her with fines and future disqualifications for refusing post match interviews, and she called their bluff. So one of the brightest and most inspiring stars in tennis is out of the tournament.

There was an alarming degree of cruelty in the threat to disqualify her if she did it again. The organizers clearly did not take her reasons seriously and thought they could just bully her into doing what they wanted. It is exactly this attitude that is one of the sources of the problem. Her decision to withdraw in response shows just how serious her condition is.

In view of this, the comments about concern for athletes' welfare rings hollow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2021 08:56PM by Janit.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: May 31, 2021 09:40PM
I am not going to direct this at Naomi Osaka, because I do not know either what she has or has not done, or the extent of her anxiety problem.

I have begun to wonder however, as a general issue, are we veering too close to bundling too much under the heading of mental health crisis? Where is the reasonable dividing line between simply being upset, nervous, just not wanting to do something, and genuine psychological dysfunction?

Expanding awareness of mental health is invaluable, full stop. But I see “mental health problems” being bandied about almost like “OCD” is, and hearing the complaints from those diagnosed with that problem about how they feel their predicament is becoming trivialized, I wonder if other terms like ‘mental health/illness’, anxiety, etc. are beginning to slide down the same slippery slope.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 31, 2021 11:33PM
I think it's sort of like a precursor of an NFL star going out of control. She sees a problem developing and is hoping to avoid going down the wrong road (drive herself to injury, throw a match, fail a drug test, break down or hit someone during an interview, etc...). I hope she has her finances in order in case she decides to retire at 23.

A lot of people struggle with fame. Tiger was lucky he didn't get hurt worse, or maybe die.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 01, 2021 07:04AM
Hi everyone,

I realize professional athletes sign contracts and one of the stipulation is dealing with the press. However, there is a difference between working with the press and being abused by the press. I don't think any athlete should be subjected to abuse by the press, regardless of a signed contract. Based on Naomi's comments, it sounds like there were times when she felt the press crossed the line and that she was sick and tired of it.

Robert
Posted by: d4
Date: June 01, 2021 09:33AM
90% of post-game, athlete interview responses are full of cringy cliched canned responses memorized from being repeated over and over again to the same questions over and over again.

To her detriment, Naomi tried to give thoughtful answers to every question, every single time no matter how many times it's been asked before. Get with the program and stay on script for 5 mins after the match. No one is expecting Socrates here!

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 01, 2021 02:58PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

I realize professional athletes sign contracts and one of the stipulation is dealing with the press. However, there is a difference between working with the press and being abused by the press. I don't think any athlete should be subjected to abuse by the press, regardless of a signed contract. Based on Naomi's comments, it sounds like there were times when she felt the press crossed the line and that she was sick and tired of it.

Robert

Are there any actual instances you’re aware of? I haven’t read of any clashes or inappropriateness in the articles I’ve seen so far.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 01, 2021 04:02PM
Blankity,

I based it on her actual words. That's good enough for me.

Robert
Posted by: kj
Date: June 01, 2021 05:56PM
From what I can tell, I don't think most of the athletes like doing the post-match interviews, so I'm sure the organizers have to deal with a lot of complaining, etc. There are some who actually manage to be entertaining (e.g. su wei hsieh), but I've also seen Nadal and others get pretty heated when press tries to provoke something newsworthy.

I think she'll find a way to satisfy her obligations, but in her "open" way, she admitted her timing was poor, and could have known she wasn't going to be able to handle it earlier. So it was bound to be a poop show. I really do wish people could just calm down a bit, but you know how people are...

At any rate, she's been one of my favorite players, so I hope she and all the assorted organizers can figure things out. I'm sure some will be more flexible than others, but how that works, who knows? However, if she has to move on, Tennis will be fine. There are scads of great players, who all eventually have to leave tennis giving others a chance to shine. I just hope she can figure things out for herself (like anyone with difficulties).
Posted by: Maddog
Date: June 07, 2021 04:13PM
i would have liked to see a much better and vigorous response from her fellow high dollar colleagues. A professional athlete is not an indentured servant and does not need to be treated poorly by the "media" to be an athlete. The feedback for crappy press behavior should be no access.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 406
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020