Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
17yo girl shoves mother bear away to protect doggies
Posted by: hal
Date: June 01, 2021 05:18PM
this is one of those headlines that is NOT an exaggeration

see the video and ask yourself how much you love your little doggy...

[www.buzzfeednews.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 17yo girl shoves mother bear away to protect doggies
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 01, 2021 05:43PM
With cubs! Lucky, lucky, lucky.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 01, 2021 05:58PM
sometimes it better to be crazy rather than strong.

Posted by: Z
Date: June 01, 2021 06:01PM
But she has been put on the Darwin Award Watch List
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 01, 2021 06:10PM
it appears the Mother bear actually lifted one of the smaller dogs, but I can't recally be sure from that angle.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 01, 2021 06:37PM
it appears the Mother bear actually lifted one of the smaller dogs, but I can't recally be sure from that angle.

I saw the same thing.

The dog may have been thought of as a snack, and seemed almost compliant to being picked up, contrary to the other, bigger dog that dodged the swipes.

That girls has ovaries!

Not to minimize her actions, but I imagine that bear, even with cubs present, was a little on the docile side.

The bear turned tail (literally) but had it been angry, I wonder if it would have breeched the residence.

Anyway, :whew::

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 01, 2021 07:29PM
17 year olds are immortal; or at least they think they are.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 01, 2021 07:42PM
“ had it been angry, I wonder if it would have breeched the residence. “

Highly unlikely.

“breached”
Posted by: hal
Date: June 01, 2021 08:57PM
all bets are off if one of those cubs fell into the yard...
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 01, 2021 09:33PM
This is one of those adrenalin stories, like the one we've all heard where someone lifts a car to rescue their kid. She wasn't thinking about anything except that her dogs might get hurt/eaten.

Years ago, I was walking along a promenade on the harbor with my Lab on a leash. There was no rail or anything, and my dog went over (I don't know if he wanted a swim or if he saw a duck or what) and was dangling from the leash with the collar choking him. I have zero upper body strength and that dog weighed about 90 pounds, but rather than let go I instinctively and immediately yanked him back onto the promenade with one pull as if he was a nine-pound perch.

Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 01, 2021 10:04PM
Not to minimize her actions, but I imagine that bear, even with cubs present, was a little on the docile side.

I think the bear might have acted differently if she wasn’t balancing on the top of a fairly tall wall.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 01, 2021 10:09PM
The bear was probably as surprised as anyone that an unarmed human would attack it.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 02, 2021 08:04AM
Speedy
The bear was probably as surprised as anyone that an unarmed human would attack it.

yeah it did seem a bit unprepared for that, probably focused more on the dogs before the girl ran up
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 02, 2021 09:20AM
Wonder if it will come back looking for doggie treats?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 02, 2021 09:28AM
Dumb question, but why/how was there a mother bear and cubs on what looks like a second story patio? (It looks like she would have had to climb up the tree to get there.) And pardon the pun, but who let the dogs out?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: June 02, 2021 10:25AM
PeterB
Dumb question, but why/how was there a mother bear and cubs on what looks like a second story patio? (It looks like she would have had to climb up the tree to get there.) And pardon the pun, but who let the dogs out?

Not second story, house is on a slope. You a can tree growing in the yard to the right and an angled fence leading up to a white gate on the left. To the left of the gate is a tree the bears probably climbed up to get onto the wall (bears can climb trees).

The dogs probably already had free access to the yard and ran out as soon as they became aware of the bears (dogs defend their pack and territory).
Date: June 02, 2021 11:19AM
DeusxMac
PeterB

Not second story, house is on a slope. You a can tree growing in the yard to the right and an angled fence leading up to a white gate on the left. To the left of the gate is a tree the bears probably climbed up to get onto the wall (bears can climb trees).

The dogs probably already had free access to the yard and ran out as soon as they became aware of the bears (dogs defend their pack and territory).

Hard for me to tell from the video, but this looked like the top of a house, rather than a yard -- what is that weird rectangular flat area to the right?

Date: June 02, 2021 11:54AM
PeterB
DeusxMac
PeterB

Hard for me to tell from the video, but this looked like the top of a house, rather than a yard -- what is that weird rectangular flat area to the right?

It's most likely the roof of their garage or carport. As I said, they're on a slope; garage downhill from the yard and house.

"Bradbury is a city in the San Gabriel Valley region of Los Angeles County, California, United States. It is located in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains below Angeles National Forest ."

This explains the slope AND the bears.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 02, 2021 08:34PM
Apparently a friend of one of my FB friends knows this family. They posted this:

This is my neighborhood and this girl might seem brave to you but she was as stupid as it comes. We all have these bears every single day. That momma bear was doing nothing but getting her cubs out. She didn’t want any of those dogs. She didn’t “grab” that support dog either. She swatted at it because it was jumping at her. If that bear had “grabbed” that dog.. it would’ve been ripped to shreds. This family recently moved into that house and they better smarten up. Our bears are after fruit, trash and to swim in our pools. They don’t want dogs. They don’t eat dogs! There was nothing amazing about putting her life in danger and all the bears. If she would’ve controlled her dogs, the bears were already leaving. They want the path of least resistance..

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 02, 2021 10:24PM
PeterB
DeusxMac
PeterB

yes really "interesting" question. No second story. You can see the camera is slightly tilted, the plans are not vertical. Not sure how you get the idea there is a second story. You can even see the fence Gond down at 45 degree. Perhaps better to watch the STATIC image before the video starts.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 03, 2021 09:00AM
graylocks
Apparently a friend of one of my FB friends knows this family. They posted this:

This is my neighborhood and this girl might seem brave to you but she was as stupid as it comes. We all have these bears every single day. That momma bear was doing nothing but getting her cubs out. She didn’t want any of those dogs. She didn’t “grab” that support dog either. She swatted at it because it was jumping at her. If that bear had “grabbed” that dog.. it would’ve been ripped to shreds. This family recently moved into that house and they better smarten up. Our bears are after fruit, trash and to swim in our pools. They don’t want dogs. They don’t eat dogs! There was nothing amazing about putting her life in danger and all the bears. If she would’ve controlled her dogs, the bears were already leaving. They want the path of least resistance..

That's a nice summary of how many of us interpreted that video
Date: June 03, 2021 09:26AM
space-time
PeterB
DeusxMac
PeterB

yes really "interesting" question. No second story. You can see the camera is slightly tilted, the plans are not vertical. Not sure how you get the idea there is a second story. You can even see the fence Gond down at 45 degree. Perhaps better to watch the STATIC image before the video starts.

I did. From the static image, it makes it appear that there is some height involved ... if the large flat area to the right is the roof of a carport, and the car itself is below that.

Date: June 03, 2021 12:12PM
PeterB
I did. From the static image, it makes it appear that there is some height involved ... if the large flat area to the right is the roof of a carport, and the car itself is below that.

Just curious; are you still thinking this is happening in a second story patio, despite the several posts above explaining how it is not?
Date: June 03, 2021 06:55PM
DeusxMac
PeterB

Just curious; are you still thinking this is happening in a second story patio, despite the several posts above explaining how it is not?

No, I believe you guys, it just doesn't look that way to me from the video. But then, I'm not familiar with houses in that part of the country.

Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: June 03, 2021 07:12PM
They should require people who live in that area to get a wilderness permit. When you get the permit, they teach you about how to deal with bears.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 03, 2021 07:14PM
PeterB
DeusxMac
PeterB

No, I believe you guys, it just doesn't look that way to me from the video. But then, I'm not familiar with houses in that part of the country.

Now you know what they really mean when they say CA is left-leaning. smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Date: June 03, 2021 10:51PM
N-OS X-tasy!
PeterB
DeusxMac
PeterB

Now you know what they really mean when they say CA is left-leaning. smiley-laughing001

I still don't really understand the layout of that house. If that's their yard, then why is the ceiling of the carport at apparently the same height?

Date: June 04, 2021 07:56AM
PeterB
I still don't really understand the layout of that house. If that's their yard, then why is the ceiling of the carport at apparently the same height?

You must have seen housing built on a slope before; it's done around the world.
Downhill can easily be one full story.

And that would be the roof of their carport, not the ceiling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2021 07:59AM by DeusxMac.
Date: June 04, 2021 10:07AM
DeusxMac
PeterB

You must have seen housing built on a slope before; it's done around the world.
Downhill can easily be one full story.

And that would be the roof of their carport, not the ceiling.

Not as common as you might think, there are a lot of parts of the country (including mine) which are relatively flat.

And ceiling, roof, you're being too literal, check out definition #8: [www.dictionary.com] . grinning smiley

Date: June 04, 2021 10:52AM
PeterB
N-OS X-tasy!
PeterB
DeusxMac
PeterB

Because both houses are built on a hillside.

The street running in front of both houses is sloped. The house on the left is on the higher side; the house on the left is on the lower side. It just so happens that between the degree of the slope and the grading that was done for each individual house, the roof of one house is on the same level as the yard of the next house. As others have stated, not too unusual in areas developed in hilly or mountainous areas... but probably not too common in flat areas.

It is what it is.
Date: June 04, 2021 12:40PM
N-OS X-tasy!
PeterB
N-OS X-tasy!
PeterB
DeusxMac
PeterB

Because both houses are built on a hillside.

The street running in front of both houses is sloped. The house on the left is on the higher side; the house on the left is on the lower side. It just so happens that between the degree of the slope and the grading that was done for each individual house, the roof of one house is on the same level as the yard of the next house. As others have stated, not too unusual in areas developed in hilly or mountainous areas... but probably not too common in flat areas.

Thank you, that makes a whole lot more sense now. (I think you meant that the house on the *right* is on the lower side...?)

And yes, not common at all in the various places that I've lived... in the places where I've lived that are hilly like that, the houses are usually spaced very far apart from each other.

Date: June 04, 2021 04:03PM
PeterB
(I think you meant that the house on the *right* is on the lower side...?)

Yes, that's correct.

It is what it is.
Date: June 04, 2021 05:14PM
A Flatlander it appears. devil smiley
Date: June 04, 2021 05:25PM
The world has Flat Stanley... MRF has Flat Peter. grinning smiley

It is what it is.
Date: June 05, 2021 06:32PM
DeusxMac
A Flatlander it appears. devil smiley

N-OS X-tasy!
The world has Flat Stanley... MRF has Flat Peter. grinning smiley

Again, as I said, I've seen buildings built on hills, but not all right next to each other like this. It would strike me as weird that the first floor of one house is equivalent in height to the second floor in the adjacent house, etc., and I could imagine this might pose some problems from (among other things) the privacy perspective.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Phy
Guests: 392
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020