advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: remember to backup your drives!
Posted by: rz
Date: June 02, 2021 09:04AM
Why am I telling you this? Yup, my boot drive died and I'm going to lose about 5 months of stuff that was on it because I hadn't done a backup since late December. Drive is/was an OWC 6G SSD. It was "new" when I installed it, but it had been purchased probably 9 months earlier, so I'm SOL as far as warranty. Luckily, most important stuff is on other drives connected to the machine, and for some reason I made backups of them about a month ago, but not the boot drive. But I will lose email from two accounts (not primary and thankfully nothing important IIRC), some pictures of our new house, and a few things downloaded recently. We moved a few months ago, and my machine was packed up for almost a month at one point, so it's not as bad as it could have been.

I checked the backup, and it was from right before I updated from El Cap to Sierra, so I get to do that again. I was going to buy a new mini when they came out later this year, so I may just muddle along until then.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: remember to backup your drives!
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 02, 2021 09:39AM
bummer.

5TB drives are $100 and TM is free, its "remembers" for you..

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: June 02, 2021 10:01AM
carbon copy cloner and backblaze (mattkime).
I also go with a couple USB thumbs for very important stuff.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: rz
Date: June 02, 2021 10:13AM
Yeah, forgot to mention I used to have a TM capsule, but it died last year. Hadn't gotten around to replacing it yet.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: June 02, 2021 10:14AM
Timely advice.

I've using two drives with Time Machine to automatically back up my main hard drive. No problems.

As an extra bit of security, I also have a third external hard drive to store my working documents. I use ChronSync to manually back up contents from the third hard drive to a fourth drive. (Drives are cheap. My files are not.)

A few weeks ago, ChronoSync failed to back up the third drive to the fourth. There was some problem with drive #4. Disk Utility could not fix the drive, so I used Disk Utility to erase and reformat drive 4, and then just ran ChronoSync to make a brand-new backup.

Something similar is happening today. However, Disk Utility is unable to erase drive 4. Am I choosing the wrong format? The default is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Other options are APFS, APFS (Encrypted), APFS (Case-sensitive), APFS (Case-sensitive, Encrypted), and Mac OS (Case-sensitive, Journaled).

This is a Mac Mini (2018) running Big Sur 11.4.

(edited to show operating system and computer)

thanks, Todd's new, doesn't-quite-wake-the-neighbors, click, Matias keyboard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2021 10:15AM by Todd's keyboard.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: June 02, 2021 10:19AM
You’re not choosing the wrong format; you’re choosing the wrong drive. Throw #4 into the trash and get a new one.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 02, 2021 10:22AM
.....will repeatedly.....back 'dat thang up.....even when told to stop......#metoo.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: June 02, 2021 10:34AM
PeterW
You’re not choosing the wrong format; you’re choosing the wrong drive. Throw #4 into the trash and get a new one.

While I suspect this may be the best strategy, I've just done some more sleuthing.

I switched the position of drive 4 so it is not connected via a hub with the other drive and three peripherals attached. Drive 4 is now connected directly to one of the Mac Mini USB-C ports through an adaptor.

Disk Utility was able to erase and re-format the drive, and ChronoSync now is happily backing up disk 3 to disk 4.

I'm still nervous about disk 4, but I am feeling more comfortable about having a back up while a shop for a replacement.

thanks again, Todd's redundant kkeeyybbooaarrdd
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020