advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon plans to share your internet with your neighbors. This is how you opt out
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 02, 2021 12:17PM
Turn it off

If you have an Amazon device in your home, anything from an Alexa to an Echo, you have just seven days to opt out of an experiment that could put your privacy at risk.
Amazon Sidewalk will be a shared network that is supposed to help customer devices work better, both in and around your home, like outside lighting that may be wi-fi enabled. If you lose connectivity your device would just switch to a neighbor’s signal so the service wouldn’t be disrupted. When you turn on a new device, it will ask you if you want to join the Amazon Sidewalk network but all of the Amazon devices you own now will automatically be included on June 8, unless you opt out.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon plans to share your internet with your neighbors. This is how you opt out
Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 02, 2021 12:30PM
What about my 3rd gen Kindle...smiley-laughing001
Re: Amazon plans to share your internet with your neighbors. This is how you opt out
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 02, 2021 12:42PM
At this point I view Amazon as the enemy.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 02, 2021 01:15PM
you have just seven days to opt out of an experiment that could put your privacy at risk.

That statement seems a little misleading.

Unlike some Opt-Out schemes, it looks like you can opt out at any time, after the 'just seven days'.

It's just that one has seven days before this starts and before privacy may begin to be at risk.

I check the first time this was posted, and Sidewalk is disabled.

Has anyone here found it enabled?

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: June 02, 2021 01:25PM
RAM,

It was enabled on my configuration. Disabled it based on instructions from the previous thread about Amazon Sidewalks. Some people don't even have the setting listed in their Alexa app. Seems odd.

Robert
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: June 02, 2021 01:26PM
Sidewalk is not listed on my system.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: Randalls
Date: June 02, 2021 01:36PM
It was on by default from a previous dot usage. I was listed on my iOS app and I disabled it but currently not using the dot
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 02, 2021 02:52PM
It was enabled in my configuration.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 02, 2021 04:48PM
My iPad didn't have the AMZ Sidewalk option, so I checked and found an update from yesterday, v2.2.419017.0.

Installed, it showed the option and it was disabled by default, as it was on my 'Phone.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 02, 2021 04:55PM
I had it and it was enabled.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: June 02, 2021 05:36PM
It was on by default on my iPhone.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 02, 2021 07:04PM
MartyStickle
Sidewalk is not listed on my system.

same here, as mentioned in the previous thread (I posted). Maybe it's because I have older models, or because I don't live in a densely populated area.
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 02, 2021 09:36PM
It's listed but disabled in my account.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 02, 2021 10:36PM
Did the update yesterday, before I paid attention to the details of this story. Sidewall was enabled by default.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline tel:1-800-273-8255

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020