advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgrading a new phone - off shoot of thread below.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 03, 2021 12:12PM
So I read the thread below about porting over to a new phone. I use the quickstart method when I can.

But! I have a slightly different questions. The wife has 6S on Verizon. Her phone is pretty much usesless. We were at BestBuy the other day (almost no one in there, so we felt safe) and she looked at the 12 mini. She fell in love. I went online to find out if I can buy a phone and register it to work on the Verizon network and deactivate her old 6S without having to go to a store. I hate going to the stores. They are busy and the associates help three people at once, which is annoying.

Verizon has posted a way to do this. However! they list a bunch of warnings (If not done properly, your phone won't work - mainly for 5G networks).

Who has registered a new phone with Verizon, successfully, without going to a store and having them get you started, first? Looking for real world experience. I can google all I want all day long. Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgrading a new phone - off shoot of thread below.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 03, 2021 12:22PM
I purchased a 12 Pro unlocked, directly from Apple. When it arrived, I simply did the quick start transfer of data, then moved the SIM card from my Xr over to the new phone. It worked fine, but gave an alert that I would not have 5g service without upgrading the SIM. I clicked the link to order a new SIM, which arrived the next day.

That said...the benefit of 5G with Verizon seems pretty dubious...that said, I am ready to port back to Verizon from Visible...got to wait another 38 days.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 03, 2021 12:38PM
That seems odd. Why would you have to "deactivate" the phone?

I cant imagine there arent others in nearly this same situation that have *had* to go to the V store for this? Its not like there is a Vstore on every corner. Must be able to remote it?

We have had ATT (or whatever else it was called) for nearly 20 years. I have never once stepped inside the store. Never have bought our iPhones from apple either. Always online...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: hal
Date: June 03, 2021 01:05PM
I've used verizon since I got my 4S and I have never set foot in a verizon store.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 03, 2021 03:53PM
Spiff
Verizon has posted a way to do this. However! they list a bunch of warnings (If not done properly, your phone won't work - mainly for 5G networks).

What they meant to say is that if you transition to a new phone in store, they will most likely screw up the data transfer for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020