advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Will putting plastic Walmart bags over big thistle heads kill seeds permanently?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 03, 2021 10:27PM
These are gig 5-6 foot thistles. If I don't kill the seeds, they will multiply like crazy. I assume drying them out with the sacks will seem to kill the seeds, but I wonder if they'll just just dry up and regrow once the conditions are right.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Will putting plastic Walmart bags over big thistle heads kill seeds permanently?
Posted by: Acer
Date: June 04, 2021 08:08AM
Why do you want the seeds? Are they still on the plants?

Drying probably won't work. Heat will do it.

If it is a non-native plant, then I would cut the heads off before they flower, and work to replace the plants with something with native and similar wildlife value.
Re: Will putting plastic Walmart bags over big thistle heads kill seeds permanently?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 04, 2021 09:32AM
kill it with fire
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 04, 2021 10:28AM
If you're going to the trouble of bagging the heads, just cut 'em off and throw them in the trash...

Then round-up the plant, and destroy the remains with fire...
Only way to be sure short of nukes.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 04, 2021 11:04AM
Most seeds need to be heated to at least 140°F. Seeds from desert plants can survive 170°F. Compost piles can kill seeds at temps down to 120°F because of high moisture.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 04, 2021 11:18AM
Yeah, likely won’t kill the seeds. You can spray them up to the time that they flower. You can clip the seed heads but the plant will try to grow more. I pull them, trying to get all of the root, and burn them. They grow on a two year cycle and flowers come year two. Get them year one if possible. Easier to pull in the spring when the roots are smaller and the ground moist. If fully grown, the spines aren’t as bad right near the ground.

There are some biological controls:

[extension.missouri.edu]

[ag.colorado.gov]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 04, 2021 10:58PM
Round-Up.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 05, 2021 09:25PM
mikebw
kill it with fire

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020