advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
old imac issues: fix or forget?
Posted by: michael_s
Date: June 04, 2021 10:47AM
I was given an iMac 20-Inch Core 2 Duo 2.26 (Mid-2009) and extended keyboard, with the caveat that it "may not work". I borrowed a power cord from my existing imac and tried to boot her up.

No joy. I get a chime, then the screen goes black.

Googling results in tons of different possibilities, most of which require more effort than the minimal amount I probably should invest, because as my wife pointed out, I've got more pressing matters to attend.

Had it worked, I was thinking i would but it in my garage and use it to reference manuals, videos, maybe a little music.

Anyone have any memories of a similar machine and possible simple fixes to try? If not, I'm sending it to the recycle. Or to a member here if anyone would like it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2021 10:47AM by michael_s.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: old imac issues: fix or forget?
Posted by: clay
Date: June 04, 2021 11:12AM
unless you've already got a spare parts machine or have an interest in tinkering to get it working again out of a desire of pure pleasure, I'd probably recycle it. The machine is worth less than $100 when working. If you don't have a super cheap source of parts (power supply or whatever it needs) and you value your time at $0/hr, it's not worth it from a financial perspective. But, for some folks, the pleasure of fixing something and giving it further useful life is worth it.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 04, 2021 11:24AM
because as my wife pointed out, I've got more pressing matters to attend.

QED
Posted by: vicrock
Date: June 04, 2021 11:32AM
One easy and free thing to try if you have an external boot drive is to try booting from that - Might be as simple as a bad hard drive.
Posted by: michael_s
Date: June 04, 2021 11:33AM
I agree, tinkering and fixing would be fun. But I have a few other items on my i can fix that list already. I may try to change the pram battery. That seems simple enough. If that doesn't do it, off she goes.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 04, 2021 11:45AM
meh... its nothing special, dump it.... and I should know. 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011... sitting outside. cant get rid of any of them... even for free.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2021 11:45AM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 04, 2021 12:26PM
e-cycle them. Apple will take them, giving you a free mailing label. Staples will take them on a carry-in basis.

[www.apple.com]
Posted by: Don C
Date: June 04, 2021 09:01PM
Best Buy took my very old MacBook.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 05, 2021 12:51PM
jdc
meh... its nothing special, dump it.... and I should know. 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011... sitting outside. cant get rid of any of them... even for free.

Dang. Really? I think I’d try to part them out on eBay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 381
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020