advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Costco is a strange animal
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 07, 2021 05:03PM
(TL;DR version: If you want it, buy it when you see it because the next time you're there, it will probably be gone.)

There are a few items that they consistently carry, but for the most part they continually change what they stock to different brands and models.

This often bites me. Particularly with clothes, I like to get an item home to see how I like it (since you can't try on in the store). If I like it, I often want to buy more. That plan seldom works at Costco.

The latest example is a pair of pants I really like. Did my usual routine; try on at home and make a determination. I bought a couple different kinds. One I will return but the other I absolutely love. Of course, going back to buy more... nope, gone. Turns out the pair I like are Eddie Bauer and they were only $6.97! Obviously, a closeout because they're $30, $40, $50 or whatever at Eddie Bauer. Not available online at Costco either, but I see the online echos of Costco stock and they were originally priced higher.

And then there's the closeout stuff. I saw a gallon bottle of hand sanitizer for $1.97 and an 8oz bottle six-pack of liquid hand soap for $1.97. I noticed what a good deal they both were but I was in a hurry so I didn't get them. I went back literally the next day and they both were nowhere to be found.

The $xx.97 price must mean closeout.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Costco is a strange animal
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: June 07, 2021 05:06PM
You might find the clothes on their website. I have done that to get my size. Usually free shipping

Long time Mac user
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 07, 2021 05:14PM

Yes, it does.

Costco Codes

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Ammo
Date: June 07, 2021 05:15PM
I assume that the in-store close outs are designed to get people into the store. And then, if you’re like me, I walk out a hundred dollars or more lighter than when I came in. If you have a second store within reasonable distance, I have sometimes had luck finding things that were OOS at my preferred store.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 07, 2021 06:20PM
If I like something I think may be limited, I'll turn right around and go back there.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: June 07, 2021 06:48PM
AllGold
(TL;DR version: If you want it, buy it when you see it because the next time you're there, it will probably be gone.)

There are a few items that they consistently carry, but for the most part they continually change what they stock to different brands and models.

This often bites me. Particularly with clothes, I like to get an item home to see how I like it (since you can't try on in the store). If I like it, I often want to buy more. That plan seldom works at Costco.

The latest example is a pair of pants I really like. Did my usual routine; try on at home and make a determination. I bought a couple different kinds. One I will return but the other I absolutely love. Of course, going back to buy more... nope, gone. Turns out the pair I like are Eddie Bauer and they were only $6.97! Obviously, a closeout because they're $30, $40, $50 or whatever at Eddie Bauer. Not available online at Costco either, but I see the online echos of Costco stock and they were originally priced higher.

And then there's the closeout stuff. I saw a gallon bottle of hand sanitizer for $1.97 and an 8oz bottle six-pack of liquid hand soap for $1.97. I noticed what a good deal they both were but I was in a hurry so I didn't get them. I went back literally the next day and they both were nowhere to be found.

The smart Costco shopper purchases clothing in multiple sizes, tries them all on at home, and returns all but the one that fits.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 07, 2021 07:07PM
This bites me about twice a year, but got one item on a revisit in the last year.

The first time was about 30 years ago (might have been Price Club, can't 'member) so this was before ebay. They had a pallet of NiCD powered ratchet's, I would guess over 200 units. I was there about an hour before closing. Went in the next afternoon and they were all gone. My guess is an employee either bought them all when the store closed that night, or had someone with a wholesale account get them the next morning.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 07, 2021 07:29PM
first world problems
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 07, 2021 08:16PM
Funny. I just got 3 pair of bumming around pants in the last month for $7.00 each.

Other stuff: chocolate biscotti, cinnamon Cheerios, cowboy spice, and jalapeno salsa all on closeout.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 07, 2021 08:19PM
Also; does anyone know when they mark down items? I think Tuesday but it could be Monday. I just always happen to be there on Tuesdays
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 07, 2021 08:39PM
when not sure, buy 3x as many as you think you need, go home, try, and return.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 07, 2021 10:24PM
.....but at what.....Cost......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JPK
Date: June 08, 2021 09:20AM
If you find something you really like at Costco - stock up.

Every once in a while they have a certain brand of socks I like. I dump my sock drawer and buy 5 packs and re-fill my entire fleet!

Every year or so I see them - so every year or so I nuke & repave my socks.

JPK
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 54
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020