advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Be among the first humans to see Jupiter's moon of Ganymede
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 08, 2021 10:05PM
Honestly, you are now among the first humans to ever see Ganymede this close up.

right click for full size.
It's thrilling

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2021 10:11PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Be among the first humans to see Jupiter's moon of Ganymede
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 08, 2021 10:34PM
source? I was a child when Voyager arrived at Jupiter. Our home encyclopedias best pics of the the four moons was just a white splotch.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 08, 2021 10:56PM
Once you’ve seen one moon, you’ve seen them all.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jonny
Date: June 08, 2021 10:58PM
Thanks to the booming economy, more Americans than ever are expected to travel this summer. The prospect of crowded national parks and the unstable situation in Europe have led many families to look elsewhere when planning their annual getaway.
Jupiter, long dismissed as the ugly duckling of the gaseous planets, has undergone a Cleveland-like rejuvenation in the past few years. With a sparkling new ball park opening next year and the Republicans eyeing the planet for their 2004 convention, Jupiter's future is bright (or as bright as can be expected for a cloud-covered orb located 480 million miles from the Sun). But a trip to Jupiter does require planning, so here are a few things to keep in mind before leaving:

Getting There: From Cape Canaveral, board a Ulysses 3 pod attached to a Titan IV rocket. Use the Venetian gravitational pull to ''slingshot'' you toward Jupiter. Allow six years for the trip. Bear in mind that flying to Jupiter can be expensive ($27.4 billion off-peak), but travelers take heart -- Kiwi has announced it will soon be flying five daily nonstops out of La Guardia for $219.

Weather: The planet's outer region averages a chilly -244degreesF. The temperature rises to 20,000degreesK as you sink to the core, however, so wear layers! Asthma sufferers should note that the Jovian atmosphere is a stuffy 90 percent hydrogen.

Getting Around: Much as a Denver tourist needs a day or two to adjust to the altitude, Jupiter's crushing gravity leaves many newcomers feeling slightly ''sluggish.'' Visitors should count on setting aside five hours for every two feet of movement.

Night Life: The Jovian magnetosphere emits 100 trillion watts of power (the equivalent of eight million nuclear explosions!), which has been known to encourage tourists to stay in and be ''couch potatoes.''

What to See: Jupiter has a mass of 1.9 x 10 to the 27th power kg and can house 1,300 Earths. Many visitors become frustrated by their inability to ''see it all.'' The smart traveler goes in with the understanding that he or she won't be able to do everything and instead finds an interesting five-foot area to explore in the few nanoseconds before perishing.

Locals: As you may or may not know, Jupiter is inhabited by millions of reptilian aliens. According to several movies made on the topic, these bug-eyed creatures are extremely hostile, possess superhuman strength and have the ability to read human minds. Tourists are therefore advised to carry traveler's checks and to not wear flashy jewelry.

''Will I be killed by ionized particles?'' Yes.

Did You Know? The planet's noxious ammonia clouds create an environment not unlike our idea of hell.

The Great Red Spot: With its distinctive look and Olde World charm, this centuries-old hurricane is considered by many travelers to be a ''must see.'' Some, however are put off by the 400-kilometer-per-hour winds and sulfurous rain. (Bring a poncho!)

Tipping: Same as Earth.

Leaving: Jupiter's mammoth gravitational pull requires an escape velocity of 133,000 miles per hour, encouraging many visitors to ''stay.''
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 09, 2021 04:45AM
Speedy
Once you’ve seen one moon, you’ve seen them all.

It looks like you snowplowed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2021 04:45AM by vision63.
Posted by: DP
Date: June 09, 2021 05:31AM
source?

I'm curious, too.

As a side, I saw that the New Horizons spacecraft that got the cool pix of Pluto still has a year to go to transmit all the images it shot!

This image has to be from Cassini?

A throwback image to celebrate Autumn.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 09, 2021 07:11AM
Rolando
source? I was a child when Voyager arrived at Jupiter. Our home encyclopedias best pics of the the four moons was just a white splotch.

h t t p s://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia24681-1041.jpg
Posted by: mrbill62
Date: June 09, 2021 07:56AM
I remember as a kid using a telescope to see Jupiter & its 4 moons as well as Saturn with my own eyes for my first time. It's still amazing now as ever. Thanks for reminding me of that feeling.

Now, too much light pollution & have to drive 30 min or more for adequate darkness. Makes it harder to pass onto the the youngsters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2021 07:59AM by mrbill62.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: June 09, 2021 08:18AM
Fresh off the press . .06/07/ 2021. Juno flyby from Nasa .
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 09, 2021 08:26AM
jonny
Jupiter, long dismissed as the ugly duckling of the gaseous planets, has undergone a Cleveland-like rejuvenation in the past few years. With a sparkling new ball park opening next year
smiley-laughing001smiley-score010
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 09, 2021 08:49AM
The various textures and patterns are fascinating.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 09, 2021 09:40AM
mikebw
The various textures and patterns are fascinating.

Yes, I noticed that too... almost gives the impression that various asteroids or whatnot hitting the surface might have rolled around a bit. I presume those are canals, similar to what you see on Mars.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 09, 2021 10:09AM
Canals due to quakes thanks to the massive pull from Jupiter.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: June 09, 2021 11:02AM
How big across is this picture? I assume that it is about the diameter of Ganymede, 3273 miles according to Wiki. Are we really seeing water ice on it?
Posted by: Z
Date: June 09, 2021 12:30PM
I like the zen gardening approach they've taken to the moonscaping.
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 09, 2021 01:32PM
Looks like all the large craters have smaller central secondary craters (or crater-like features).

Does this have to do with their age? (...that we don't see this as much on our moon...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2021 01:32PM by pdq.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 09, 2021 01:40PM
Speedy
Canals due to quakes thanks to the massive pull from Jupiter.

Interesting. I might have thought it was for the same reason as Mars, namely drift of dust from winds.

More info here: [solarsystem.nasa.gov]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Date: June 09, 2021 05:05PM
Rolando

Here's J and it's 4 big moons I shot during Jupiter/Saturn conjunction last December. It's still a white splotch!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 09, 2021 06:12PM
DP
Rolando

Here's J and it's 4 big moons I shot during Jupiter/Saturn conjunction last December. It's still a white splotch!

That looks like it (shut up v63).
Date: June 09, 2021 08:12PM
grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020