advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best TV tonite? Full Cast Adventure on Star Trek Next Generation ( H&I)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 10, 2021 11:59AM
Everyone's Busy on this somewhat memorable cast call aboard the Enterprise.

Star Trek: The Next Generation on Heroes & Icons channel
Thu, 6/10, 9:00 PM 1 hr
"Disaster"
10/21/1991, Season 5 / Episode 5
When the U.S.S. Enterprise is struck by a quantum filament, the entire ship loses power; Captain Picard tries to help three children escape from the stalled turbolift; Troi takes command on the bridge; Worf is forced to deliver Keiko's baby when she suddenly goes into labor.

The Enterprise‘s previous mission was done early, so they’re just hanging out. In Ten-Forward, we see Riker, Data, and Worf, hanging out with the O’Briens. Keiko is exceedingly pregnant, and the O’Briens have been arguing over what to name the child if it’s a boy. (Apparently, in the 24th century, parents still like to be kept in suspense as to the sex of their child until it’s born.) Riker suggests “William” as a fine, fine name. O’Brien goes off to do a transporter simulation on the bridge (which makes no sense, but he needs to be on the bridge for that part of the plot).

In a cargo bay, Crusher is inexplicably trying to convince La Forge to be Major-General Stanley in a production of The Pirates of Penzance. On the bridge, Troi introduces Picard to Marissa, Jay Gordon, and Patterson, the children who won a science fair, and therefore get a tour of the ship with Picard. (O’Brien arrives on the bridge as they leave, and wonders who to feel sorrier for, the captain or the kids.) Picard asks them about their projects, and Patterson speaks first: he grew special radishes that grew all weird!

The ship then starts shaking as if they’ve hit something. There are power fluctuations all over the ship, and when it finally settles, they’re only on emergency power. Lieutenant Monroe is in charge of the bridge, and she theorizes that they hit a quantum filament. Pretty much everything is offline, and then Ensign Mandel detects another filament. Monroe tells all hands to brace for impact—and then that impact causes her console to explode and everyone on the bridge to fall down. Troi, O’Brien, and Mandel recover, but Monroe is killed. Mandel checks the turbolifts, but they’re not working. Neither is anything else, including communications.
-

On the bridge, Ro has dumped phaser power into the engineering terminal to get it working, which O’Brien decries as an improper procedure, but Ro snaps that they won’t survive by playing it safe. Readings indicate that the containment field around the antimatter was damaged by the filament, and the field strength is falling, and when it gets below a certain threshold, the field collapses, the antimatter collides with matter, and everything goes boom.

Data can’t shut down the electrical arc. The only option is to interrupt the flow with a non-conductive material—but the only non-conductive material they have is Data’s body. He can shield his positronic brain from the surge of the arc, and then Riker can remove Data’s cranial unit and bring it to engineering. So, yeah, Riker gets to carry Data’s head to engineering, because THEY SAVED DATA’S BRAIN!!!!!

and then
In Ten-Forward, Keiko and Worf are helping treat the injured. Then Keiko starts going into the world’s most ill-timed labor. Worf, armed only with a tricorder and a long-ago Academy emergency first-aid course that included a computer-simulated birth, has to serve as Keiko’s midwife.

Whew! (Hey, is that a Borg ship showing up on the long distance sensors? Tune in next episode!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2021 12:55PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best TV tonite? Full Cast Adventure on Star Trek Generations ( H&I)
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 10, 2021 12:06PM
This episode was written to pair up Ro and O'Brian to see how their chemistry would look on DS9.

We got Kira instead.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 10, 2021 12:14PM
p8712
This episode was written to pair up Ro and O'Brian to see how their chemistry would look on DS9.

We got Kira instead.

As I recall, Michelle Forbes decided she didn't want "in" to the franchise... Tidbits I've read differ on why that was.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Re: Best TV tonite? Full Cast Adventure on Star Trek Next Generation ( H&I)
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: June 10, 2021 12:56PM
corrected title of initial post 'Next Generation'
Posted by: p8712
Date: June 10, 2021 01:31PM
Paul F.
p8712

We got Kira instead.

As I recall, Michelle Forbes decided she didn't want "in" to the franchise... Tidbits I've read differ on why that was.

You're right. I should've worded it better. I believe she didn't commit so she could have a film career. But who knows.

At least we got Dax, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 381
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020