advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
M1 Mini video editing - mad laughter!
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 10, 2021 07:42PM
I've got a camera that shoots AVCHD and it has always ground my computers (admittedly, only an i3 and i5) to a halt. Like, nothing going except a few seconds at a time. And DaVinci Resolve would not open at all. I'm not a video editor by any stretch, but I have been shooting video with this camera for about 10 years now, just keeping all of the raw footage so that one day I could find a machine to edit it without spending thousands. Haha!!! my cheapest machine ever rolls right through it!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: M1 Mini video editing - mad laughter!
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 10, 2021 08:58PM
No surprise. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: June 11, 2021 06:46AM
That was my experience, too. I put together training videos via Screenflow, far from an expert, and the first laugh I got with my M1 Mini was watching it work with (still Rosetta!) Screenflow videos. It had that same feeling as the first time I operated my mac from an SSD instead of spinning disks.

I'm still amazed that the top chip makers of the world hadn't come up with this solution on their own. It took a non-chip maker Apple to show how to build something that didn't put out heat and was this fast. Was it laziness on Intel, etc,'s part?

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 11, 2021 07:18AM
tuqqer
I'm still amazed that the top chip makers of the world hadn't come up with this solution on their own. It took a non-chip maker Apple to show how to build something that didn't put out heat and was this fast. Was it laziness on Intel, etc,'s part?

If it ain't broke...

Date: June 11, 2021 07:30AM
bazookaman
tuqqer

If it ain't broke...
Yet they must've known they were in a world where faster, cooler, more efficient was an ever-present need, and not constantly innovating towards that would cost them dearly. Granted, I'm arm-chairing and have no idea what kind of struggles and tech is required to come up with breakthrough tech like the M1.

Mac mini (M1 2020, 16G 2T) Big Sur 11.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Date: June 11, 2021 07:51AM
tuqqer
bazookaman
tuqqer

If it ain't broke...
Yet they must've known they were in a world where faster, cooler, more efficient was an ever-present need, and not constantly innovating towards that would cost them dearly. Granted, I'm arm-chairing and have no idea what kind of struggles and tech is required to come up with breakthrough tech like the M1.

Probably. But with no one to move the goal post or innovate in any way, why bother. The status quo was/is working so don't rock the boat.

Date: June 11, 2021 08:09AM
bazookaman

Probably. But with no one to move the goal post or innovate in any way, why bother. The status quo was/is working so don't rock the boat.

I think I remember QuarkXPress conveying a message similar to this smiling smiley

Date: June 11, 2021 08:10AM
tuqqer
bazookaman

I think I remember QuarkXPress conveying a message similar to this smiling smiley

hah. I just had to look them up. No idea they were still in business.

Date: June 11, 2021 08:26AM
They were such a classic casebook study of how to go from the top to the bottom in 2 short years by blatantly ignoring (pissing off) their customers. When a competitor finally came along to challenge them (InDesign), the retribution was brutal to watch. Fun in a schadenfreude way, though.

Date: June 11, 2021 08:31AM
[arstechnica.com]

Posted by: sekker
Date: June 11, 2021 08:35AM
I’m recalling the early iPhone hardware team that brought the idea of an Arm processor. When Jobs pushed back, the story is they said they would quit if Apple went with Intel. What a prescient view.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 11, 2021 08:38AM
sekker
I’m recalling the early iPhone hardware team that brought the idea of an Arm processor. When Jobs pushed back, the story is they said they would quit if Apple went with Intel. What a prescient view.

Well, they must have known that to get the battery life in a reasonable size phone that the CPU would need to be very low power, and that nothing from Intel would do the job they wanted.
Date: June 11, 2021 08:41AM
bazookaman
[arstechnica.com]
Oh that looks like a delicious read! I'm bookmarking that for a later tonight. Thanks for finding it.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 11, 2021 10:40AM
bazookaman
[arstechnica.com]

Nice history article. QuarkXPress 3/4 in 1999 is the late Middle Ages of DTP after PageMaker had been abandoned. In 1990 I briefly considered FrameMaker (4 years before Adobe bought and killed it) on a Sun workstation for 5,000 page manuals. At the time it was something like 3x a Mac SE/30, so the computer services dept. knifed that baby pretty quick. Word was struggling, but it was a huge upgrade from the corporate publishing service that would take six months to ship a new set of manuals.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 11, 2021 12:42PM
mikebw
sekker

Well, they must have known that to get the battery life in a reasonable size phone that the CPU would need to be very low power, and that nothing from Intel would do the job they wanted.

I took it that they saw Intel - back then - as moving the same way IBM did for the 'mobile G5' chip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 360
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020