advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Quite a day today...
Posted by: DP
Date: June 10, 2021 08:43PM
I was Up North at our cottage for a couple of days and when I got up this morning, I got my cup of coffee and went to the side door to check out things and saw what I thought was a branch or some bark lying down in the area where we park. I saw this:

Some of you may remember I posted about Snapper babies hatching and we had to be careful where we were walking and driving. Well, that happened in late August but this is the first time I've been there to see them being deposited.

I grabbed the trusty SX60 and got these images. After about three hours, Mom was finally done and got this image of her making sure the eggs were covered up. But man, does this creature look...what? Mean? Ancient? Dangerous? Well, you don't want to mess with Snappers; we know that.

Then she headed back to the lake. She was moving pretty slowly and I don't know how fast they can move on land but I figured she had put in a hard morning of work, so she could be excused for moving a little slow...

She walked down toward the lake on the mown area (path of least resistance) which took her past our firepit before she turned into the bog to get to the lake:

So I hope she got back OK and maybe we'll see how many survived these next 67 days (I think that's the gestation period). We have seen the "nests" raided and empty shells laying around but that's why they lay so many eggs-some will survive...

But wait! There's more!

I'm driving back and I was no more than 10 minutes from the cottage when I'm glad I had the GoPro going. I use it also as a dash cam and I wish, I wish, I wish I had been closer but coming around a curve I see this:

I know, I know, but look at this enlargement:

Yes, ladies and gentleman, they are Black Bears-a Mom and three cubs! They were scooting across the road and if only I could've been closer. The thing is, they are not rare but they are not common either and in our area I've seen only one and that was from a outdoor cam on a neighboring cottage. To see one in person was great-but not only one but four of them!

I shot some video of the Mama Snapper too which I plan to get posted sometime soon. But I have a installment of DP's Useless Observations concerning the month of May I haven't had time to finish. But this turtle and bear stuff just all happened fourteen hours ago and I had to get it posted.

Thx for looking in...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Quite a day today...
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 10, 2021 08:54PM
So nice
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 10, 2021 08:59PM
.....turtle.....dove.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 10, 2021 09:21PM
I bet that bear gives that snapper plenty of room.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 10, 2021 09:28PM
Wait. You're in Michigan sticks and black bears are not common? Really?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: June 10, 2021 09:36PM
But man, does this creature look...what? Mean? Ancient? Dangerous?

Prehistoric might fit as well.
Date: June 10, 2021 09:44PM
mrbigstuff
Wait. You're in Michigan sticks and black bears are not common? Really?

Well, I'm not up there all the time. Yes, they are around but this is the first time in 18 years I've seen them.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: June 10, 2021 10:17PM
Third 'action' shot is cool.

We see large turtles up from the river now and then, shell length as long as two feet (mostly less). Not sure of the species.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 10, 2021 10:58PM
Nature... love it. That snapper has a very smooth shell. The ones my sister and I used to catch in MO were more gnarly. Not Alligator snappers, but definitely more nasty looking. The local snake and reptile population were probably pretty tired of being grabbed by fast moving bare footed children, carted off to be shown to our parents, and then relocated down to the creek in the woods. Mom never let us keep them.
Date: June 11, 2021 05:28AM
Prehistoric might fit as well.

That'll work!

Mom never let us keep them.

Ha! I grew up in Detroit so we never saw "exotic" animals unless we went to the zoo. The first time I saw a deer I couldn't believe it!

Posted by: blooz
Date: June 11, 2021 12:05PM
There were snappers at a lake at the rehab facility where I worked. Watched a momma lay eggs one day. I don't know if any of those hatched but there were at least a dozen baby turtles walking around, not all snappers, a couple months later. We were constantly picking them up and aiming them to the lake.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: June 11, 2021 04:32PM
Neato pics! thumbs up

Love the turtle shots.

The black bears up here in northern MI are everywhere! They're just tough to observe. They seem to be very good at keeping themselves unexposed.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 123
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020