Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
DNA test... for your cat
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 11, 2021 08:12AM
[www.youtube.com]

I'm not generally in favor of such tests-- but I do find it interesting that they are offering up medical info, and also the company apparently offers a whole genome sequencing test, which I guess might eventually be useful for breeders.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that they aren't apparently listing "domestic shorthair" as a category... Mainecoon, I'm just not seeing it in her cats' case!

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: DNA test... for your cat
Posted by: Janit
Date: June 11, 2021 08:58AM
PeterB
[www.youtube.com]

I'm not generally in favor of such tests-- but I do find it interesting that they are offering up medical info, and also the company apparently offers a whole genome sequencing test, which I guess might eventually be useful for breeders.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that they aren't apparently listing "domestic shorthair" as a category... Mainecoon, I'm just not seeing it in her cats' case!

The Mainecoon percentage was only 16-17%, so an absence of flagrant Mainecoon-atude would not be surprising.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: June 11, 2021 09:03AM
Cats - four legs with an attitude. What more do you need?

oh yeah - canned or dry food.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 11, 2021 09:18AM
Ombligo
Cats - four legs with an attitude. What more do you need?

oh yeah - canned or dry food.

And some cats will mandate a certain amount of play time or other attention.

Saying this as our cat id looking to be played with right now, and I am still a bit out of it after vaccine dose 2 on Wednesday.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 11, 2021 09:40AM
.....what happens if one discovers one's cat isn't related to oneself.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 11, 2021 09:53AM
I don't see a category for catgirls... (sorry)

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 11, 2021 10:12AM
Janit
PeterB
[www.youtube.com]

The Mainecoon percentage was only 16-17%, so an absence of flagrant Mainecoon-atude would not be surprising.

Well her cats don't (honestly) really seem to have any appearance of a Mainecoon... one's a tux, and the other all black. And as I said, it would make much more sense to have a category of domestic shorthair... most cats in this country would probably fall into that category, or the same but with the recessive longhair allele.

Edit: and these tests are not cheap! Also, her cats are probably better behaved than most, when taking a DNA swab. I can imagine that might not go over well with many cats. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2021 10:14AM by PeterB.
Date: June 11, 2021 03:32PM
.....if one finds out one cat is related to H***ler.....would one then *** it......???

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 11, 2021 07:01PM
PeterB
... and these tests are not cheap!

And they aren't accurate. Especially as to those disease-risks. There's almost no info on the genetics of various diseases in felines. The alleged genetic health risks in the report have almost no foundation.

For dogs, at least, there's some decent info on breeds, if not diseases. For cats, there's been so little differentiation as yet from domestication that even the estimates as to breed are mostly guesses.

Read:
[www.nature.com]

Date: June 11, 2021 07:40PM
Sarcany
PeterB
... and these tests are not cheap!

And they aren't accurate. Especially as to those disease-risks. There's almost no info on the genetics of various diseases in felines. The alleged genetic health risks in the report have almost no foundation.

For dogs, at least, there's some decent info on breeds, if not diseases. For cats, there's been so little differentiation as yet from domestication that even the estimates as to breed are mostly guesses.

Read:
[www.nature.com]

I'm not surprised about the accuracy. My guess is that they're coming up with the disease risks either based on more common problems amongst some specific breeds (for example, hip dysplasia in Mainecoons), some specific sequencing of particular genes, or both. I do know that there are specific genetic diseases that more commonly affect some breeds of cats, but without looking at their reports, I can't say whether there's any basis for any of this.

The article you posted is interesting, but doesn't really address the issue with cats so much as dogs. Here's an example of a recent study: [www.biorxiv.org]

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 11, 2021 07:44PM
PeterB
The article you posted is interesting, but doesn't really address the issue with cats so much as dogs.

That's because there's so little DNA info on cats and so little testing being done on cats that there's next to nothing to write about.

Date: June 11, 2021 08:33PM
Sarcany
PeterB
The article you posted is interesting, but doesn't really address the issue with cats so much as dogs.

That's because there's so little DNA info on cats and so little testing being done on cats that there's next to nothing to write about.

Here are good articles that address it:

[www.rover.com]
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Date: June 12, 2021 09:03AM
.....so is the cat.....'da daddy......???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 440
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020