advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Color Printer advice, please
Posted by: surfer33
Date: June 11, 2021 04:10PM
My sister has a Canon inkjet which frustrates her.
She doesn't print regularly and then the print heads dry up and she wastes paper and ink cleaning the heads.
Would you recommend a different brand of inkjet for her occasional use?
Or would you recommend a color laser?
Specific brands and models would be most helpful, please.

Many thanks for your advice!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Color Printer advice, please
Posted by: Gareth
Date: June 11, 2021 05:05PM
Does she keep the inkjet on all the time, or power it off between uses?

With one inkjet I had, it clogged horribly during a long period of being off, but when kept on all the time, it would do its own occasional maintenance.

But, for occasional use, and if there's no need to print photo quality, a color laser printer is a good choice, but note that they are more power hungry than an inkjet, so if that's a concern, she might actually want to keep it off between uses.

Lots of folks here like Brother. Personally, I'm not a fan of their low-end color lasers. I have a HL-3170CDW, and it has annoying quirks. It goes into a deep sleep mode that requires you to go over to it and press a button to wake it up. And some documents just disappear when printing them (i.e. they leave the computer's queue, but never print) and then I end up sending them to an inkjet.

Cheap lasers are also slower at printing complex documents because they have to process the entire document at once (which might be why some of my documents just disappear and don't print), vs an inkjet which can process the document "on the fly" as it's printing. Expensive lasers are awesome. Never had any issues with my Xerox 6300, but it's also gigantic and heavy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2021 05:24PM by Gareth.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 11, 2021 05:20PM
With one inkjet I had, it clogged horribly during a long period of being off, but when kept on all the time, it would do it's own occasional maintenance.

My Brother Inkjet is always on and it startles me from time to time when it spontaneously begins its cleaning ritual. I don't use the color portion as much as the black and white but i've never had a clog in the years I've had it.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 11, 2021 06:06PM
For 13 years, I had a Canon S750 that clogged whenever it was unused for more than a couple weeks. I'd spend a lot of time cleaning it, and occasionally would have to replace the printhead.

Finally, when I was no longer able to obtain a working printhead for the S750, I recycled it and got a Canon MX922 all-in-one.

I keep the MX922 on all the time. The printhead is 4 years old, and has never needed to be cleaned or replaced. However, the printer core (everything except the printhead and power supply) had to be replaced some months ago.

I'm done with Canon. I'm moving to Brother. My parents' Brother all-in-one inkjet printer has been going strong for about 10 years, and I'm pleased with my Brother HL-L2320D monochrome laser printer ($8.75 thrift store purchase), which prints a page every 2 seconds.
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: June 11, 2021 06:19PM
I have moved to one of the Canon Megatank printers and been very pleased with the results. Have had it for about 14 months now, maybe had to clean heads once. Nice to have bulk-loading ink and not have to deal with stupid cartridges any longer. I have the G7020.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Date: June 11, 2021 07:15PM
Thanks, Gareth! (and all who have responded so far!)
She turns it off between uses.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 11, 2021 09:35PM
I love my three Xerox color lasers but they are nowhere near photo quality. For that I go to Walgreens.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 11, 2021 09:49PM
graylocks
With one inkjet I had, it clogged horribly during a long period of being off, but when kept on all the time, it would do it's own occasional maintenance.

My Brother Inkjet is always on and it startles me from time to time when it spontaneously begins its cleaning ritual. I don't use the color portion as much as the black and white but i've never had a clog in the years I've had it.
emoticon-tv-015 startles me; Me too @ times with my old MFC-J825DW!
Always on, print lots of hi-speed B&W and a color coupon occasionally.
Permanent B&W, use a Brother laser & any color photos it's off to
Walgreen's as Speedy noted.
I'm not a photog so I couldn't justify buying & maintaining a photo-grade
color printer.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: sekker
Date: June 12, 2021 06:12AM
After trying canon, epson and HP inkjets and had them all clog, I went to Brother color laser based on comments here. Never going back to inkjets. Unless you are printing photos, the color laser output quality is fine.

Get a model where there are third party options.

My favorite is a 3-in-one scanner / printer combo. Just replaced my first one after many years. No real sales, found a 10% coupon at Best Buy. Just turn it off when not in use.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 12, 2021 03:22PM
I remember when Epson was the bane of color inkjet users, with the print heads constantly clogging with lack of use, and using up ink during the constant cleaning ritual.

There's never been much of a desire for photo printing for me, so a black and white laser for proofing has been all I've needed.

I print so little that I turn it off after each use, but it's convenient enough to get up to a push the button, especially when printing from another room, an ability that still seems like magic to me.

Printing the odd occasional color, photo-quality image from time to time would be nice, but it's just not worth the agita of dealing with inkjet maintenance.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 12, 2021 07:45PM
Wish brother still made the JW895 so I could still recommend it.

Ours must be 10 years old. Use is sparse. Has never clogged. Even with Generics.

If she just need prints, something like an HP 2600 family is a good find. I see them on Craigslist often for under 100. Take generics. A little big, but a tank. Ran 1000s of sheets thru mine.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: June 13, 2021 08:39PM
Thanks, all!
This is so much great information!
I let her sort it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020