advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just got my progressives and...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 12, 2021 01:21PM
... I'm not sure I'm going to get used to this. (Original post here: [forums.macresource.com])

I realize it might take awhile to adjust, but I'm finding it kind of annoying that I have to look in a particular direction or tilt my head in a particular direction for my vision to be clear, and if I turn my head side to side (as if I were motioning to say "no"), it's making me nauseous.

The cost difference on the lenses was only $35 for progressives versus single-vision, so I'm debating getting another pair made, but with the single vision prescription. The total cost on the lenses was not cheap because they're real glass and with a lot of added options, but on the other hand, I could always use one of these as a spare pair.

Opinions? How long should I give myself to see if I adjust?

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just got my progressives and...
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: June 12, 2021 01:23PM
Give yourself at least two weeks. And be careful using stairs until you've adjusted. For me, the wait was worth it. But of course your results may vary.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: June 12, 2021 01:41PM
Give it at least a few weeks. I got nauseous when I first got them and even when I switched back to single vision to give my eyes a break. Years later, I tried single vision computer distance glasses, which took a while before the eye strain subsided. Now, I also have a pair for the workshop, for distances around 1 ft. I change back and forth so often with three pairs that I hardly notice it, except when I wear one pair for a whole day; I notice the change, but it's only an issue for a few minutes. I like to think that as I age, maybe I've "trained" my eyes to become more flexible, though I like either of my single vision glasses better than the progressives.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: June 12, 2021 01:45PM
Assuming the lenses were made correctly, and the frames fitted properly to align the center with your pupils, it can take a week or two to adjust. Some never adjust and traditional bifocals or trifocals work better for them.

I do find that I can get some neck strain working on a computer. Hard to get just the right height to see most of the screen without having to tip my head back a bit to read the top clearly. I may end up getting a single vision pair to use at my computer instead.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 12, 2021 01:52PM
Bugged me at first but I got used to them quickly.

Proper fitting/adjustment is critical.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: June 12, 2021 02:14PM
It took me 3 weeks to get used to mine enough to accept them in my life, 4 or 5 years ago.
Instill don’t like them, and I still need computer glasses for anything beyond a few minutes, but they’re better than carrying multiple glasses around.
Posted by: rgG
Date: June 12, 2021 02:15PM
JoeH
I do find that I can get some neck strain working on a computer. Hard to get just the right height to see most of the screen without having to tip my head back a bit to read the top clearly. I may end up getting a single vision pair to use at my computer instead.

I wear progressives, I have for decades, but I found that a pair of mid-distance single vision glasses is best for working at my Mac mini. My neck would get strained tilting back when sitting at my desk.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: June 12, 2021 02:15PM
Oh sorry, there's one more thing I should have mentioned in the original post. I've put myself onto a self-experimental supplement-heavy regimen to try to clear up my floaters ... I have really bad floaters in one eye as a result of PVD. The progressives seem to be making the floaters more apparent, but I'm not sure it's the progressives-- it could be that now that I have the right prescription, everything is in proper focus / I'm focusing my eyes in a different focal plane. So I might have the same problem with the single vision, I dunno.

Edit: and yes, I'll probably visit my local optician/ophthalmologist's office to get them properly fitted. I couldn't do any of this locally because I had to buy the lenses online, them being regular glass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2021 02:18PM by PeterB.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: June 12, 2021 02:23PM
I tried 'em for months, never got used to 'em. Instead. I have distance glasses that are pretty short, top to bottom. I perch them up higher under my nose, and peek underneath for close-up vision. I'm lucky; I can see well enough to type on my laptop without correction.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 12, 2021 02:23PM
btfc
Proper fitting/adjustment is critical.

This.

Takes a few days to learn how to tilt your head and not your eyes and figure out where the deficits are.

Most problems with progressives are from poor fitting. Give it a couple of more days and then go in for an adjustment and speak to the oldest person at the shop 'cause the younglings are NOT going to know how to adjust progressives and will screw it up for sure. They teach "square," but don't teach "tilt" to newbies, yet tilt is essential to proper fitting of progressives.

FYI: While mine work fine for most purposes, I still wear reading glasses for books and for when I need to work for extended periods on the computer, and I wear distance-vision driving glasses on road-trips. Progressives are all-purpose compromises, and may not be best for a specific task.

...Slightly off-topic: Not a problem for you since you got glass, but "digital" progressive lenses are all the rage now with a wider field of view than std progressives and finer gradations between different fields of view. Problem is that their models are based on average physical types and average glasses-shapes. For me, this results in massive distortion and I find that I'm effectively blind in them. Have to be careful when I fill a prescription that the shop isn't using some in-house codename for "digital." It's getting hard to find a place that doesn't use a digital process, much as it's hard for you to find glass vs plastic.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 12, 2021 02:33PM
Proper fitment is absolutely critical. I've been wearing progressives for many years, and there have been a couple of pairs that were misaligned--- all kinds of grief. There are also different styles of progressives, such that some are easier to adjust to because they have a wider viewing area. Just a couple of mm's out of proper alignment will mess you up; the wider view lenses provide an extra mm leeway. Once you adjust to progressives, it's hard to wear anything else. Good luck.
==
Date: June 12, 2021 02:53PM
Thanks all. My regular optician is not open due to corona (not sure yet if she's coming back), so the only measurement that I wasn't sure about was the seg height, and for that, I went to a different optical shop to get the measurement. That was with the frames that I usually wear, for which I got the progressives as replacement lenses.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: June 12, 2021 03:23PM
I never could get used to mine until I went on a three week trip and left my old glasses at home. When I got back, I kept using the progressives and I was fine.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 12, 2021 03:36PM
There are different types of progressives. I didn't like my first set from Costco. The areas where my vision was good was tiny in either close (3" circle at 12" distance) or normal. I got the more expensive type and was a little happier.

I still occasionally bump into or trip over stuff because of the change of depth perception.

18 years later, I almost can't drive my car if I'm not wearing the progressives. I have considered getting laser correction so that my "reading" prescription is no correction, so that progressives would be far correction on top and no prescription on the bottom.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Cary
Date: June 12, 2021 08:23PM
Made me nauseous, never got used to them. I use bifocals generally and single vision readers for computer use.
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: June 12, 2021 09:54PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 07:59PM by DewGuy.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 12, 2021 09:58PM
....when I got my glasses.....everyone stopped making passes.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: June 13, 2021 12:20AM
I'm going to give this pair two weeks, as most of you are recommending, and if no good after that time... I'll probably get the single vision lenses made.

I would say the most annoying thing so far is that, if I'm in bed and watching TV, it's blurry unless I tilt my head down a bit (not a natural positioning of my head, since I'm lying down), and also that just in normal use, walking around, when I look down, everything is blurry.

Date: June 13, 2021 12:32AM

... and also that just in normal use, walking around, when I look down, everything is blurry.

Oh yeah, I recall that part of getting accustomed to the progressives about 10 years ago. After a bit I got used to tipping my head down a bit if I needed a clear view. For most movement the slightly out of focus view is enough to locate obstacles and such. But where I was used to just looking downwards through the single vision lenses before, tipping my head a bit was needed to bring the more distance focus portion of the progressives in line for proper focus on things at ground level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2021 12:38AM by JoeH.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: June 13, 2021 10:17AM
Glass lenses?

With my prescription, glass lenses were thick and heavy. I do miss their clarity though…

=wr=
Date: June 13, 2021 10:44AM
wave rider
Glass lenses?

With my prescription, glass lenses were thick and heavy. I do miss their clarity though…

I have no problems with the clarity when clean, but the affinity of plastic lenses for oils makes it hard to keep them that clear for long. The company that comes up coating that is oleophobic will make a mint.
Date: June 13, 2021 12:16PM
wave rider
Glass lenses?

Mine aren't too bad in terms of thickness, though I noticed my left is fairly thick toward the bottom left corner.

There's the clarity issue, and then there's also the fact that glass is much harder to scratch. This was also an issue for me because I decided to get a permanent anti-fog coating (will hopefully be very useful down here), as well as a regular anti-scratch coating on top of the anti-fog.

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 13, 2021 02:47PM
I'm late to this thread...

Took me about 3-4 weeks to stop noticing the "progressiveness" of the lens. Now, I can walk with 'em and not feel nauseous, and drive with them.

I got a pair of "desktop computer" glasses made to my specific eye-to-screen focal distance. These were a real life saver, since my left vs right eye difference in vision had outgrown cheap reading glasses. Now, I can SEE my computer screen properly out of BOTH eyes!

I'm still getting used to changing glasses when I get up from my computer to my progressives, though.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 13, 2021 05:18PM
.....I got you......babe......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020