advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Success!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 12, 2021 07:32PM
I would have been able to get better pics, except that I couldn't seem to figure out how to activate macro mode on my SX50, or if it even has a macro mode...

[imgur.com]

... these are far enough along that they must have come from previous visitors that I didn't see...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2021 07:39PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Success!
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 12, 2021 07:37PM
No , that’s not cannibis

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: June 12, 2021 07:45PM
jdc
No , that’s not cannibis

Uhhh, no. Don't eat it unless you want to make yourself violently sick...

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 12, 2021 09:54PM
....what is the secret of your.....success....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: pdq
Date: June 13, 2021 08:44AM
Those are monarch caterpillars, aren’t they?

But not milkweed.
Date: June 13, 2021 09:26AM
pdq
Those are monarch caterpillars, aren’t they?

But not milkweed.

Yes, they are ... I didn't realize that many of them would be so tiny. (Some of them are maybe half an inch long at best.)

And yes, that is milkweed -- three major types that they seem to be on -- A. curassavica, A. tuberosa, and A. syriaca. They haven't devoured all of it yet, but at the rate they're going, I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

The problem is that, of the three types, A. curassavica has by far grown the fastest and so there's the most of that one-- but a lot of people think that this type is hurting the monarchs, rather than helping them: [xerces.org] (it was not my intention to grow this type of milkweed, it was because an eBay seller or two had mislabeled their seeds! ... note that this is also the type of milkweed that Lowes sells, and they also spray it with insecticide, so their milkweed is a real no-no...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2021 09:28AM by PeterB.
Date: June 13, 2021 09:29AM
Oh and as an aside -- anyone know how to work macro mode on the SX50? I think I've got it, but it doesn't seem to be working the way I'd expect...

Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 13, 2021 10:21AM
I leaned from Bill Nye to start calling it "Milkflower"

[kimharrison.wordpress.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: JoeM
Date: June 13, 2021 02:00PM
PeterB
Oh and as an aside -- anyone know how to work macro mode on the SX50? I think I've got it, but it doesn't seem to be working the way I'd expect...

You need to be in manual, P, TV, or AV modes. Once you select your mode you press the MF button on the left of the ring and select Macro (the flower). I forget the minimum distance you need to be at for the SX50 to be able to focus but if you get closer than that distance, you will not get focus, no matter what you do. You’ll need to back off until you see the camera give you the green square where you are focusing.

JoeM
Date: June 13, 2021 02:26PM
JoeM
PeterB

You need to be in manual, P, TV, or AV modes. Once you select your mode you press the MF button on the left of the ring and select Macro (the flower). I forget the minimum distance you need to be at for the SX50 to be able to focus but if you get closer than that distance, you will not get focus, no matter what you do. You’ll need to back off until you see the camera give you the green square where you are focusing.

OK ... the latter part of what you said is where I seem to be having problems ... the camera doesn't seem to be able to focus on anything close up, which is what I thought the whole purpose of a macro mode is.

Date: June 13, 2021 02:47PM
PeterB
JoeM
PeterB

OK ... the latter part of what you said is where I seem to be having problems ... the camera doesn't seem to be able to focus on anything close up, which is what I thought the whole purpose of a macro mode is.

I think the camera isn’t the greatest for producing macro photography. I never got anything worthwhile with mine. I’ve seen people doing macro photography using a Raynox DCR 250 snap on macro lens with Powershot cameras in YouTube videos.

JoeM
Date: June 13, 2021 03:29PM
JoeM
PeterB
JoeM
PeterB

I think the camera isn’t the greatest for producing macro photography. I never got anything worthwhile with mine. I’ve seen people doing macro photography using a Raynox DCR 250 snap on macro lens with Powershot cameras in YouTube videos.

I managed to get pretty close up with just the regular (non-macro) mode on the camera, as can be seen in the pics. The most trouble I had was with finding the subject when highly zoomed in, as I was pretty far away from the subject.

Date: June 13, 2021 08:30PM
PeterB
JoeM
PeterB
JoeM
PeterB

I managed to get pretty close up with just the regular (non-macro) mode on the camera, as can be seen in the pics. The most trouble I had was with finding the subject when highly zoomed in, as I was pretty far away from the subject.

If you can get your light right so there's no shadow from the camera on your subject you can get a decent macro shot. I used to do a lot of micro audio component photography on my job years ago with a Nikon Coolpix 5700 which was fantastic for that type of work. I found one of my shots on the web. It's small with a lot of compression but you can get an idea from it of what you should be able to get:

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020