advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Gaming" PC
Posted by: pinion
Date: June 12, 2021 08:17PM
My son asked for a computer he can play Fortnite and Minecraft on. I'm thinking an older laptop or anything he can plug into his HDMI TV. I'm sorry for the OT post about a gaming computer but.... here we are.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Gaming" PC
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: June 12, 2021 09:58PM
It's not too OT, there have been a couple of threads in the last year on gaming PCs. Note: Dell's online options have gone totally mercenary in upselling, so stay away unless you are looking at refurbs.

Does his TV have a low latency HDMI input? Unless it's Minecraft 4K, a laptop with a Nvidia 1660 Ti would be the minimum I would recommend. A small step up would be something with the Nvidia 2060 or an AMD Radeon RX 5600M.

Used laptops have been in short supply for almost a year, but there are used/refurb channels. Newegg has a refurb section but new models are only a little bit more for a step up in performance and getting a warranty.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 12, 2021 11:50PM
Chip shortage… good luck
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: June 13, 2021 12:04AM
Fortnite has a very low spec mode that can play on just about anything. it doesn't look great but gets the job done. It's the graphical mode that cell phones use to play the game, ported to PC.

Minecraft has performance mods which also let it play on just about anything: The Fabric modloader, with the Sodium, Lithium, and Phosphor mods. With a 8 year old low end Radeon card (8570) I get 60+fps at 2560x1440 and MC's max 32 chunk render distance. Hell, in an ancient 2009 13" MacBook Pro I get 45 fps at 1280x800 and 16 chunk render which is decent.

An older laptop will probably just have Integrated graphics which could be enough for these games in these modes but just as likely could not. A GTX 960M or 1050 will play both of these games in these modes fine. Filliam's recommendations are much better for FN's regular graphics modes but honestly overkill for MC. And if you're in it just for the gameplay in FN, set it to the lowest mode and use a cheaper laptop.
Date: June 13, 2021 08:41AM
Excellent suggestions. I'll look around. Thank you both!

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 13, 2021 10:18AM
15 years ago, a buddy asked me about getting a "gaming rig"

I asked him. Do you want to play games, or f**k around with a computer?

"Play games"

Get the newest Xbox or Playstation and the biggest TV you can afford.

He got 70 inch 1080i rear projector monster. Loves it still!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 13, 2021 11:26AM
Good point. I found a Switch Lite for $150. Asked if he wanted that and he said he wanted a computer. He's only got about $100 so hr has little options unless I bear the cost.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: June 13, 2021 01:46PM
The world of games is *far* bigger on the PC, and especially via services like Steam (which will have game sales pretty much daily; many games for $5 or less, down to a buck). It's kind of like the old argument about getting someone an iPod Touch for gaming instead of a GameBoy or variant; you'll pay a lot for the iPod Touch but the games were all in the $5 to $10 range. Consoles can be done the same if you're buying used games or keep an eye out for sales -- e.g., I just spent $25 on the Microsoft Xbox Store for about 6 games this weekend, and known title games (Mad Max, Doom (2016), etc.)

With a gaming PC, though, you'll spend a good chunk of change on the rig and the display, but the gaming experience can be far better, and you'll be able to upgrade components (general speaking) down the road for a better experience.

Bottom line, though, is if he wants a gaming PC that's what he wants, and a console is going to just be a consolation. (ha) The world of gaming is gargantuan via PC gaming, even if the initial target rig is "just" for things like Fortnite and Minecraft.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)
TETO (To Each Their Own)

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: kj
Date: June 13, 2021 10:15PM
The only problem is you literally can’t get a video card right now.
Date: June 15, 2021 09:16AM
kj
The only problem is you literally can’t get a video card right now.

You can if it comes in a computer (like a laptop with a discrete GPU). Just not a single retail unit.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 15, 2021 02:27PM
pinion
...here we are.

Update: I stumbled across this looking for deals. It's below the spec I listed but is the cheapest I have seen in a couple of weeks. It could use more RAM and more storage of some sort, but that could be done in the future. Please note that some AMD based machines blue-screen regularly and there is no real fix. There was at least one review mentioning an issue like this. If you buy this, make sure to test it out ASAP in case you need to return it.

WorstBuy - $720 - Acer - Nitro 5 15.6" AN515-44-R99Q
https: //www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1650-256gb-ssd-obsidian-black/6413246.p?skuId=6413246

I don't really recommend WorstBuy, but I do hope they survive as a retailer just to keep more options available.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: June 15, 2021 03:09PM
Wow thank you. It seems decent enough but its certainly out of my budget. I'll just have to wait for things to calm down. I should have built when I could have.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: June 19, 2021 10:42AM
Microcenter has a really nice HP budget gaming laptop for $699.99 with a newer generation AMD 6 core/12 thread processor, 8 GB memory and 512 GB SSD and a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB graphics link. This laptop got a great review from ETA Prime.
Date: December 04, 2021 09:53AM
Figured I'd give an update. I had a Lenovo x220 laying around that I had installed MacOS on. Runs as well as a 2011 MBP. He's been using that for minecraft. I haven't even tried Fortnite on it but maybe I should. Works great for Minecraft though so he's happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020