advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Son's first computer in da house!!
Posted by: jonny
Date: June 13, 2021 06:17PM
M1 Air for my son's junior year of highschool!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Son's first computer in da house!!
Posted by: carl
Date: June 13, 2021 06:29PM
LEADER!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 13, 2021 06:33PM
Leader!

At least he won’t be using it for gaming.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: June 13, 2021 06:36PM
Speedy
Leader!

At least he won’t be using it for gaming.

LOL! That was a serious consideration. I think his father's complete and utter inability to provide PC tech support won him over.
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 13, 2021 08:10PM
Leader!

And dang. My kids have had hand me down iMacs for yeeeears. Maybe starting 4th grade? They can both type near 109 wpm now.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 13, 2021 08:11PM
How the hell can a kid wait until they're a junior in high school to get their first computer these days?

Congrats. Leaderific. But nonetheless puzzling.

Really puzzling.  ...but massive props if were able to share a computer with him, and successfully managed multiple user accounts.
==
Date: June 13, 2021 08:34PM
Buzz
How the hell can a kid wait until they're a junior in high school to get their first computer these days?

Congrats. Leaderific. But nonetheless puzzling.

Really puzzling.  ...but massive props if were able to share a computer with him, and successfully managed multiple user accounts.
==

Hahaha... He had a school Chromebook loaner for lockdown, but... yeah. First personal computer. He wanted one, of course, for years but we didn't want him spending all his days geeking out in his room, so he'd use mine if he needed it.
Worked ok. He turned out pretty good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2021 08:36PM by jonny.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 13, 2021 09:41PM
KidLeader !
My daughter's 'first computer' was the SE/30 with a Radius pivot color card and monitor that I let her use. She liked the Hypercard stacks. Once I got a Mac LC520 she was all over that... lots of 'edutainment' CD's were had and used. Heck, I still have them someplace. I would explain to coworkers that the Mac was super user friendly, because the only tech support call I ever got at work from my 6 year old daughter was this:

"Daddy, the computer is quacking at me and won't stop !"
"Sweetie, is your teddy bear on the keyboard ?"
"Oh ! Yes she was. Thanks, Daddy !"
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 13, 2021 10:10PM
Coulda gotten him a gaming console, so he wouldn't geek out on the computer... cool smiley

When our guy was little/growing up, he was always involved in sports, so his (home) video gaming time was limited.... though we did have an entertainment system in the van, that I splurged and put an auxiliary jack pack in. Kid was able to hook up his gaming gear in the car for all the travel ball road trips.

Oh, snap! banghead smiley wiggle smiley I just figured out why he liked travel ball so much!

His summer-before-senior-year 2011 i7 MBA, lasted him thru college, so hopefully your guy is set for awhile. Since I was still a database consultant back then, and burned thru lots of Macs for clients, our kid had close to a dozen (mostly hand-me-down) computers by HS junior year. Made sure they were for productive stuff only, but in addition to van time, he had a few buddies that had great geek gear, so any excuse to hang out with them.....

Most importantly you got a good kid out of the deal, so that's a big win.
==
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: June 13, 2021 10:42PM
Please tell your kid we all said “Leader!!”
Then explain.

smiley-excited001

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2021 10:48PM by rich in distress.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 13, 2021 11:16PM
Hooray! Was planning on getting my soon to be 16 year old an M1 Air was well. Was hoping for updated, color models. I can wait until September.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: June 13, 2021 11:20PM
rich in distress
Please tell your kid we all said “Leader!!”
Then explain.

smiley-excited001

I did.
He said, "So... It's like a cult!"
I could not deny.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 13, 2021 11:58PM
The M1 Mini I bought recently is doing double duty as a homework machine for my high schooler. The other one is on an iMac from 2010, but I maxed ram and put in an ssd and it gets the job done.

But, yeah, I felt the same way about them hiding in the room. Of course, that have smartphones now, but we also waited on that purchase for way (way) longer than most parents.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020