advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
My own little rant...
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 13, 2021 10:53PM
My wife's 6S was failing. It did not have enough space, and was getting very slow. She asked for a 12mini for her birthday and I was happy to do so! Yay! Mini in da house!

So tonight, I go about setting it up. OK. Switch SIM cards. OK turn on phone. Wait. no power. @*&%. Gotta charge it up. Meanwhile go on Verizon's website to register new phone. OK. Got it going on Verizon's website. Now to set up her new iPhone! Yay! So I set the old one near the new one. Both are charging. Both turn on . I go through the menus on the new phone. Takes 2-3 tries to get it to see the old phone. Hmmm. Finally get to the stage of port everything over to the new phone. Gets stuck. Hmmmm. Go back. Do it again. Finally get to the porting over. Yay! Its working! Booo! It's not. Wife's phone is on 12.2. Its gotta be on 12.4. @#$%*.

I try to update her old phone. Not enough space @#$*%

I go to iTunes and try to back it up. I sync it. Takes 2 seconds. That's not right. Do it again. Same thing. That's not right. So, ok, maybe I'm missing something and iTunes has gotten better. So I hook up the new phone. Immediate love affair with iTunes. Great. Update the new phone to latest greatest softwares. I try to restore the old phone to the new phone. IT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!

I am very frustrated, by the way. Still have to wash dishes and take out trash and recycling. It's 12 midnight. Wasted a whole hour on this. I don't have much hair left.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: My own little rant...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 13, 2021 11:06PM
Le sigh. Aren't we all missing the days of "it just works" ? I know I am. [www.zdnet.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: June 13, 2021 11:15PM
Sorry about your experience! I replaced my daughter's 6s (formerly mine) with an iPhone 11. Switched SIM, turned both on, followed instructions. It took some time, but no issues.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 13, 2021 11:33PM
You do know that a NEW SIM will be needed to get 5G service, right?
Posted by: Spiff
Date: June 14, 2021 12:06AM
Yes, a new sim will be needed for 5G. I was told by someone on this forum that my phone will prompt me to order a new sim.

So I have tried iMazing. Even THAT will not backup and transfer data to the new phone. bloody #$%*.

I just can't even....
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 14, 2021 12:51AM
Log in under an alternate user account. This will ensure that whatever glitch is occurring under your user account will not affect a new back up.

Back up the old phone in iTunes.

Restore to the new phone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2021 12:53AM by Sarcany.
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 14, 2021 02:51AM
testcase

Interesting, I have Xfinity mobile, the SIM is probably 3 year old, in fact I know it is just a little over 3 year old, and I had an SE 1st generation (LTE) and upgraded to a 12 Pro and moved the same SIM in it, and I get 5G service.

Xfinity Mobile App shows that I have a new device and wants me to upgrade, but why? the new plan is $15/1GB, the old LET is $12/GB, but both plans are the same $30/3 GB and $60/10 GB so it does not really matter.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: June 14, 2021 04:33AM
space-time
testcase

Interesting, I have Xfinity mobile, the SIM is probably 3 year old, in fact I know it is just a little over 3 year old, and I had an SE 1st generation (LTE) and upgraded to a 12 Pro and moved the same SIM in it, and I get 5G service.

Just because it says "5G," that doesn't mean you're using 5G cell towers.

5G cell towers are few and far between. Have you tested your connectivity to see whether you're actually connecting at 5G speeds?

Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: June 14, 2021 06:48AM
Sarcany
space-time
testcase

5G cell towers are few and far between. Have you tested your connectivity to see whether you're actually connecting at 5G speeds?

We are traveling now and are in Hill City SD. My new iPhone 12 Pro indicates 5G. I just did Speedtest and got 161 down and 55 up. Does that indicate 5G service is real?

Asheville, NC Area

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2021 06:50AM by MartyStickle.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: June 14, 2021 07:26AM
MartyStickle
Sarcany
space-time
testcase

We are traveling now and are in Hill City SD. My new iPhone 12 Pro indicates 5G. I just did Speedtest and got 161 down and 55 up. Does that indicate 5G service is real?

Those are in the range of 4G LTE A speeds.

FWIW, my iPhone on ATT has shown 5G service for longer than I can remember. All the @#$%& carriers adopted the 5G identifier long before 5G service was available. It's really 4G LTE A in most cases.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: June 14, 2021 07:49AM
Sorry to hear of your troubles and it's OK to rant, we all do it.
I just went from a 6S+ to a refurb Xr on Sprint; hardest part was getting a
new T-Mobile SIM. USPS lost two separate shipments, POOF gone.
Backed up 6S+ then powered off. Charged Xr, booted 6S+ and placed them
side by side. About 15 minutes later the Xr was ready for it's new SIM.
(both on iOS 14.5.1 at the time)

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: June 14, 2021 09:48AM
PeterB
Le sigh. Aren't we all missing the days of "it just works" ? I know I am. [www.zdnet.com]

But it does "just work". When you're riding at iOS 12.2 and have not done a dozen or more updates to keep thing current, whose fault is that?

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 14, 2021 01:27PM
Markintosh
PeterB

But it does "just work". When you're riding at iOS 12.2 and have not done a dozen or more updates to keep thing current, whose fault is that?

Apple's, for making it necessary to do all those updates. grinning smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 100
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020